Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Northwest Hats, Eugene, Ore.

RJR

Here ya go! These are from Mike's Facebook page, I haven't had the opportunity to take my own pics yet.
12798999_1144976738847965_8407997564619823932_n.jpg
Beautiful,his bashes are perfect.

T Jones

I'll Lock Up
My spot is coming up for a 1940's Stratoliner clone in Granite Gray with dark gray ribbon.

a4y83t.jpg

28bd5py.jpg

14l0je0.jpg
I wish I could see these colors in person. Would you say that the Granite is more Brown or Grey? Is there any hint of a yellowish or orange undertone in this color? I'm having second thoughts on the color I chose. I went with a brown that Mike uses for his Indy hats, Portuguese rabbit felt, with a very dark brown 1 1/2 ribbon. The felt seems to have an orange cast in the light from some pictures I saw of it. I have a Resistol Stagecoach in Chestnut that looks similar in color. I'm not fond of the orange undertone. I've been looking at the Granite again....

one that Mike did in that color:
Dark_Brown_Fedora_from_Mike_2.jpg

My Stagecoach in Chestnut with a dark brown 6 ply ribbon...
RSCB_3.jpg

RSCB_4.jpg

RSCB_2.jpg

It's a very nice Resistol that I reworked but I don't wear it much because of the orangey undertone. Maybe the color would look better on a fedora than it does on a Western. I need to make some kind of decision pretty soon. If I decide on the Granite Grey I'd go with the same dark brown 1 1/2 ribbon that Mike uses on his Indy hats.

Some Marty Robbins....El Paso

Cool Water...

Cool Water, Sons of the Pioneers version. Both Roy Rogers and Ken Curtis were vocalists of the group at different times.

I wish I could see these colors in person. Would you say that the Granite is more Brown or Grey? Is there any hint of a yellowish or orange undertone in this color? I'm having second thoughts on the color I chose. I went with a brown that Mike uses for his Indy hats, Portuguese rabbit felt, with a very dark brown 1 1/2 ribbon. The felt seems to have an orange cast in the light from some pictures I saw of it. I have a Resistol Stagecoach in Chestnut that looks similar in color. I'm not fond of the orange undertone. I've been looking at the Granite again....

one that Mike did in that color:
Dark_Brown_Fedora_from_Mike_2.jpg

My Stagecoach in Chestnut with a dark brown 6 ply ribbon...
RSCB_3.jpg

RSCB_4.jpg

RSCB_2.jpg

It's a very nice Resistol that I reworked but I don't wear it much because of the orangey undertone. Maybe the color would look better on a fedora than it does on a Western. I need to make some kind of decision pretty soon. If I decide on the Granite Grey I'd go with the same dark brown 1 1/2 ribbon that Mike uses on his Indy hats.

Some Marty Robbins....El Paso

Cool Water...

Cool Water, Sons of the Pioneers version. Both Roy Rogers and Ken Curtis were vocalists of the group at different times.
Concerning your brown/gray question I only have a sample to go by so far, & my honest answer would have to be that it depends on the lighting. I don't think it has much brown but under some softer, yellowish incandescent lighting you can see that it has some brown much like the popular vintage olive green/gray color does. Under fluorescent lighting or LED lighting, & certainly under most natural light it appears gray. I see no orange undertones like in your pics.

T Jones

I'll Lock Up
Concerning your brown/gray question I only have a sample to go by so far, & my honest answer would have to be that it depends on the lighting. I don't think it has much brown but under some softer, yellowish incandescent lighting you can see that it has some brown much like the popular vintage olive green/gray color does. Under fluorescent lighting or LED lighting, & certainly under most natural light it appears gray. I see no orange undertones like in your pics.
Thanks HJ. Would you consider the color to be a medium grey in color or on the lighter side. I'm trying to stay away from the lighter colors. I have too many Silverbellies and I'm burnt out with the light stuff.

Hit the link & go about half-page down to the HTML chart on the left hand side. On my monitor (& your's may be different) dimgray #696969 on the chart is pretty accurate to the Granite Gray sample I have. That's about as accurate an example as I am going to be able to give.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shades_of_gray
This is where colour gets so difficult. I went to the link and the dim grey as it shows on my monitor looks nothing like the Granite in rabbit I got from Mike at NW Hats. I wonder if the Beaver felt is different/ I ordered the Granite wanting a dim grey and was initially disappointed to receive a hat that had such strong brown tones in the felt. I got over it and love the hat. It gives me an excuse to order one closer to the grey I desire.

Tedquinton

A-List Customer
This is my Granite hat, on my monitor this looks a pretty good match to the colour.

Excuse the ugly mug!

It does have some earth undertones, and it's also on the lighter side of mid grey to my eyes. I have a Winchester steel grey, I could take pictures of that, with granite and silverbelly if that would help. Just need some good light. Could probably get some shots later today, I'm on GMT so not sure how that lines up with your time, a good few hours ahead I'd assume.

Another idea: I believe the grey train hat in the 4th Indiana Jone's film 'Crystal Skull' was made from Winchester's granite felt by Steve Delk. Maybe have a look, its an awful film, poor way to close the franchise but the hats were good!

Tedquinton

A-List Customer
Ok, best I could do as I suddenly need to be somewhere...

Steel grey, granite and silver belly in natural light. The silver belly appears a shade too light the others look pretty good to my eyes. Hope this helps a bit and doesn't muddy the waters!

(Edit - on my laptop the hats all appear a shade too light. They appear more accurate better on my iphone).

Last edited:

RJR

Steel grey, granite and silver belly in natural light. The silver belly appears a shade too light the others look pretty good to my eyes. Hope this helps a bit and doesn't muddy the waters!

(Edit - on my laptop the hats all appear a shade too light. They appear more accurate better on my iphone).

Nice to be able to see the contrast.

T Jones

I'll Lock Up

I like the Granite. Definitely looks like it has some brownish undertones. Looks like it would be a pretty versatile hat too. Yeah, I like it. Thanks Ted. It was helpful. Wonder if the Granite comes in Beaver felt.

tropicalbob

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Thanks, guys. When it comes to electronics, I'm at their mercy. I also found out today that the warranty on the outside unit expired LAST MONTH. The Lord giveth and the small print taketh away. Ah, well, should be getting that tax refund in the next few weeks. Peters Bros. will be getting a call. Won't be the first time hemp came to the rescue.

Bird Lives

A-List Customer

Nice to be able to see the contrast.
Great shot....one picture really can answer a ton of questions.....I feel like I now really do have a feel for those color differences.....and I've made my pick.....Thanks.....

Great shot....one picture really can answer a ton of questions.....I feel like I now really do have a feel for those color differences.....and I've made my pick.....Thanks.....
If you get the Granite drop me a note when you receive as I would love to hear your opinion on the "colour". Does it have as strong brown tones as my eyes think it does?
I am3.5 months into Mike's wait list and have not received a date yet, he has yet to ask me for the details of my order so anticipate a further wait.

Short Balding Guy

I'll Lock Up
I like the Granite. Definitely looks like it has some brownish undertones. Wonder if the Granite comes in Beaver felt.

TJ: I love the Granite VS fedora I have. I have a version in beaver. Excellent felt. I love the versatility of the granite. It does have brown and even some red tones to the gray. To e it means I can wear it when I need gray with color, or to coordinate with brown/grey or even a blue blazer. It works like a charm. If it helps below are a couple of pics of the light weight granite beaver felt (albeit a VS offering):

i-KDqspSV-M.jpg

i-C7S3KzC-M.jpg

i-xBcHsjq-M.jpg

i-vk927PH-M.jpg

i-KG4kKvf-L.jpg

Above from front to back is dove, silverbelly and granite beaver felt.

I hope the above assists. The granite color is a favorite of mine. My wife approves of it!

Best, Eric -

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CLUless82