Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Nick & Nora; a style compendium of the 30s and 40s (Thin Man on DVD)

Wild Root

Gone Home
Trust me, you'll never tire of Loy and Powell's movies! They were so perfect together and I love all their movies! If you can ever find "Love Crazy" from 1941, you'll enjoy that one too! It's not a "Thin Man" film but, it might as well be. I have it on VHS but, would love a copy on DVD.

lvcrazy-rug.jpg

You'll find new things each time you watch them! And you'll laugh at little things you didn't see the first time.

WR.

Lauren

Distinguished Service Award
I ordered the ginger/fred collection and the thin man collection together before I left for scotland, and a coupld of weeks after I got back, I got them! What more could you ask for? The costumes in both the box sets are amazing, the humor is great, and in the case of ginger and fred, the dancing is amazing (though I admit I thought it was great when Mrs.Charles got roped into dancing with a jitterbug! Loved how he threw her all over the place!). Bad move on the pocketbook to have released them both at the same time, but wonderful on every other regard.

Brad Bowers

I'll Lock Up
More Good News

Sure does!

The listed films for Vol. 2 are: "Flying Down to Rio," "The Gay Divorcee," "Roberta," "Carefree," and "The Story of Vernon and Irene Castle."

Brad

DanielJones

I'll Lock Up
I remember about six months ago either AMC or TCM had played a Thin Man Marathon. It was great. I had wished that they would release the rest of the films at the time. Well, wish granted.

Cheers!

Dan

shamus

Suspended
Well I broke down and ordered a set from amazon. $41.00 and free shipping for the complete set... not a bad price for all those dvd's!

thanks for the heads up!

shamus

Suspended
Well walk up to my front door on Friday and there is a package from Amazon! And I even went with free delivery!

6 thin men are sitting on my table... being thin, they don't weigh much...

Brad Bowers

I'll Lock Up
Wild Root said:
Trust me, you'll never tire of Loy and Powell's movies! They were so perfect together and I love all their movies! If you can ever find "Love Crazy" from 1941, you'll enjoy that one too! It's not a "Thin Man" film but, it might as well be. I have it on VHS but, would love a copy on DVD.

Your wish is coming true, Root! Warner was so pleased with the success of the Thin Man DVD set that they have decided to release a Powell/Loy DVD set in 2007 of films that are all new to DVD. Not counting The Senator Was Indiscreet, in which Loy makes an uncredited cameo, there are only five Powell/Loy films that have not been released on DVD: Manhattan Melodrama, Evelyn Prentice, Double Wedding, I Love You Again, and Love Crazy.

I can't wait!

Brad

jake_fink

Call Me a Cab
Your wish is coming true, Root! Warner was so pleased with the success of the Thin Man DVD set that they have decided to release a Powell/Loy DVD set in 2007 of films that are all new to DVD. Not counting The Senator Was Indiscreet, in which Loy makes an uncredited cameo, there are only five Powell/Loy films that have not been released on DVD: Manhattan Melodrama, Evelyn Prentice, Double Wedding, I Love You Again, and Love Crazy.

That's great news for everyone. Just make sure that when you watch Manhatten Melodrama your lady is not in red.

:cheers1:

Mike in Seattle

My Mail is Forwarded Here
It's a great DVD set to have...

It's a great DVD set to have. I never tire of watching the Thin Man series. My only complaint when it's been shown on TCM or other cable stations is they always show them out of order and they usually leave one or two of the six out.

Another plus - the DVD extras like all of the original trailers, some period newsreels & cartoons, and the documentaries on Loy and Powell. There's also a complete radio broadcast with Loy & Powell from the 30's - I haven't listened to that yet.

The boxed set includes an episode of the mid-50's TV series starring Peter Lawford and Phyllis Kirk. Frankly, the latter was so-so. Nick and Nora updated to the 50's hanging out in Greenwich Village with the beatnik types, single-breasted coat & slacks and nary a tuxedo or gown in sight, drinking espresso just doesn't play nearly as well as the 30's & 40's versions dressed to the nines, drinking martinis, hanging out with gangster & showgirl types, tossing witty banter back and forth.

chanteuseCarey

Call Me a Cab
If one is looking for an excellent series of films for the clothes, the hair, hats, shoes, the accessories, et al of the 1930s and 1940s- look no further than the six films of the Thin Man series. The first film "The Thin Man" was released in 1934, the last "Song of the Thin Man" was in 1947. You'll see people from many different walks of life; thugs, ex-cons, ladies in the work force, gangster's molls, older moms, children, upper class moneyed. In all shapes and sizes. Just look at the back covers pics on the DVD boxes and you can see the changes to Nora's hairstyles over the years!

These films are now available as a seven DVD collection. The seventh DVD is two documentaries, one on William Powell narrated (voice over only) by Michael York, and the one on Myrna Loy is narrated by Kathleen Turner. The only negative on Myrna's is Ms. Turner constantly mugging for the camera.

The Wolf

Call Me a Cab
I agree with chanteuseCarey on all accounts. Meantioning hair: I prefer Nick's hair parted to the side instead of in the middle. All the films have great character actors in them also.
I would gladly take any of Nick's clothes.

Sincerely,
The Wolf

P.S. I own the box set.

Viola

Call Me a Cab
Before he died, I was dreaming of a Nick and Nora remake with Raoul Julia as Nick co-starring with Angelina Jolie... sort of a much cooler, vintage flavoured Mr. and Mrs. Smith. With more booze.

Can't imagine who else in Hollywood could pull it off anymore. :(

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
actimally