Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Newsboy-type caps - Randolph AFB 1938-40 *photos*

Flieger

Practically Family
From a fellow aviation historian I came across these photos showing USAAC personel servicing BT-14 trainers at Randolph AFB somewhere between 1938-40. Boy, those caps are soooo stylish!

Does anyone have a clue as to the color of them? OK, they are dirty in most shots, but what color did they have when they where clean? Olive Drab, Kakhi?

USAAC_cap01.jpg

USAAC_cap02.jpg

USAAC_cap03.jpg

USAAC_cap04.jpg

USAAC_cap05.jpg

Flieger

Fletch

I'll Lock Up
Surely not regular Army issue? Prewar dogfaces wore denim "prison" work clothes and floppy Daisy Mae hats (like boonies).

The material (coveralls and caps both) seems not to be herringbone twill either.

My WAG on the color is OD #3, aka "That Ain't Khaki."
khaki_3.jpg

Unissued original M1941 "Parsons" jackets

deanglen

My Mail is Forwarded Here
The guy on the left in the bottom picture has an HBT cap, it would appear. I can't thank you enough for these shots, Flieger, they are absolutely terrific and I appreciate them very much. If you find any ore feel free to post'em!

"the cap"

Flieger

Practically Family
As far as I can tell, the guys in these shots are ordinary AAC personel. I can't show you the full photos yet (these are excerpts), since they are not mine. But I'll try to get clearence from the owner. I think thre's another batch coming in in the next couple of days. I'll see if I can post more then.

/F

BellyTank

I'll Lock Up
deanglen said:
The guy on the left in the bottom picture has an HBT cap, it would appear. I can't thank you enough for these shots, Flieger, they are absolutely terrific and I appreciate them very much. If you find any ore feel free to post'em!

"the cap"

Good day, Cap!

I can see a bit of HBT-looking striping going on there but remember the
old-timey Herringbone denim workwear..? Dungarees, Oshkosh B'Gosh...
We can't see the colour...

B
T

deanglen

My Mail is Forwarded Here
BellyTank said:
Good day, Cap!

I can see a bit of HBT-looking striping going on there but remember the
old-timey Herringbone denim workwear..? Dungarees, Oshkosh B'Gosh...
We can't see the colour...

B
T

BT, you are probably right on there! Good point! Thanks!

"the cap"

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HyakujuJoe