Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

NEWS FLASH: Lost Scenes from 'Metropolis' Found

Burnsie

Feraud said:
This is amazing news.

I hope I live long enough to see the discovery of London After Midnight.

There's always hope - every time I hear news like this it's incredibly exciting! I remember hearing that bits of Edison's Frankenstein had been discovered and then actually seeing clips from it was amazing. I've followed the London After Midnight rumor mill for years and I still hold out hope we'll actually see it surface someday...

Earp

One of the Regulars
Wonderful News!

I can't believe it!!

:eusa_clap :eusa_clap

I can't wait to own a DVD of it with the original music score.

It's going to be a whole new movie now. This is the second time I will have a difficult wait for a DVD release of this significance. lol
The other was when Harold Llyod's films were finally restored and released.

Thanks for this post!
--Wyatt--

Earp

One of the Regulars
Nick D said:
I find myself uneasy at the thought of a remake. Maybe I'm jaded by other attempts by Hollywood to remake things, or "reboot" things. I just can't see it being done well.

It wouldn't be a remake. It would be a restoration of the film with the newly discovered original missing sections of the film restored so that it would be complete for the first time in about I guess 80 years or so.

I just said it would be a whole new film because those of us who have loved the film in it's incomplete version all these years will finally get to see the complete film as envisioned by Fritz Lang. So ... it will seem like a whole new film. ;)

Nick D

Call Me a Cab
Earp said:
It wouldn't be a remake. It would be a restoration of the film with the newly discovered original missing sections of the film restored so that it would be complete for the first time in about I guess 80 years or so.

I just said it would be a whole new film because those of us who have loved the film in it's incomplete version all these years will finally get to see the complete film as envisioned by Fritz Lang. So ... it will seem like a whole new film. ;)

Sorry, Earp, I was referring to the link Riot posted. I edited my previous post so it's clearer.

But I can't wait to see the new footage, and with the original score, as well :)

Earp

One of the Regulars
Nick D said:
Sorry, Earp, I was referring to the link Riot posted. I edited my previous post so it's clearer. But I can't wait to see the new footage, and with the original score, as well :)

Ahhhhh ... Gotcha Nick D. And I'm in complete agreement with you on the subject of a remake.

Nighthawk

One of the Regulars
Nick D said:
I find myself uneasy at the thought of a remake. Maybe I'm jaded by other attempts by Hollywood to remake things, or "reboot" things. I just can't see it being done well.

I agree, and feel the same way about The Day the Earth Stood Still being remade.

That said, there are times when remakes work. For example, John Carpenter's The Thing (1982) was a remake of The Thing from Another World (1951). The the 1982 version follows the source material far better than the 1951 version. Both stories were based on John W. Campbell, Jr.'s 1938 novella titled "Who Goes There?" originally published under the pseudonym Don A. Stuart in Astounding Stories.

It would probabally be hard and expensive to get ahold of the Aug. '38 issue of Astounding, but the story was reprinted in the classic anthology Adventures in Time and Space and The Science Fiction Hall of Fame, Volume Two. It was also reprinted in Campbell's own collection, titled the same as the story. I am pretty sure it has been reprinted elsewhere, but offhand I couldn't tell you.

Sorry for getting a little off topic! :)

NH

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HyakujuJoe