Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

NEWS FLASH: Lost Scenes from 'Metropolis' Found

Mahagonny Bill

Practically Family
YES! This is absolutely fabulous news. From what I have been reading, this is not just the discovery of missing scenes, but a complete 16mm negative of the original premiere version of the movie. (The movie was edited for time and content by the studios without Lang's input before wide distribution). With the discovery of the score from the 1927 Berlin premiere a few years ago we will finally be able to see this film as Fritz Lang envisioned.

Now I just hope that the negative is in recoverable condition.

Mike in Seattle

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I'm sure they wouldn't have made the big announcement and detail what happens in the missing scenes unless they'd viewed the footage and confirmed its existence and authenticity. It's great news. But now I wonder how long it'll be before the complete film with restored scenes and score will be available on DVD... [huh]

Mahagonny Bill

Practically Family
Mike in Seattle said:
But now I wonder how long it'll be before the complete film with restored scenes and score will be available on DVD... [huh]
I have heard a rumor that Kino was working on a BlueRay version of the previous "definitive" version for 2009 release. Hopefully that production can transition to include this new footage and we can get the release sooner than later.

There will probably be a theatrical release as well.

dhermann1

I'll Lock Up
I have the most recent super deluxe version with as many scenes as existed in the late 1990's, and missing scenes represented by still shots and title cards. Even in that condition (which is actually extremely good) it's a stupendous film. I'm really looking forward to this.

LizzieMaine

Bartender
What's interesting about this is that 16mm was not a common European format at all in the '20s -- in Europe, reductions would more likely have been made on 17.5 mm, if they were going to be made at all. That suggests that the 16mm material was duped from original 35mm material rather than being any sort of original 1927-vintage print. Who would have had that material in the first place and how it happened to be duplicated might make for an even more interesting story.

Nick D

Call Me a Cab
Mahagonny Bill said:
There will probably be a theatrical release as well.

I would catch a train or bus to any place in this United Kingdom, and if I was back home I would drive to any place in those United States, to see that.

A.R. McVintage

LizzieMaine said:
What's interesting about this is that 16mm was not a common European format at all in the '20s -- in Europe, reductions would more likely have been made on 17.5 mm, if they were going to be made at all. That suggests that the 16mm material was duped from original 35mm material rather than being any sort of original 1927-vintage print. Who would have had that material in the first place and how it happened to be duplicated might make for an even more interesting story.

Being that this has been found in Argentina the first thought that came to mind is Nazis and their penchant for hoarding works of art.

LizzieMaine

Bartender
Postings on alt.movies.silent indicate that the source for the footage just found was a 35mm nitrate print duped to 16mm -- in the 1970s! So it's safe to say the footage hasn't so much been lost, at least for the past thirty years, as it's been -- misplaced.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HyakujuJoe