Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

**NEWS EXTRA**Good Wear flying jackets take vintage authenticity to new heights!!

Smithy

I'll Lock Up
Mike K. said:
Still debating over the Dubow, Aero, and 27753 contracts. Maybe some day I'll own one of each.

It's a tough choice Mike! I went for the 27753 as the fit is a little more relaxed and John said it's very easy to wear with slightly larger armholes.

And Andrew, are you getting another one?

Mike K.

One Too Many
Smithy said:
It's a tough choice Mike! I went for the 27753 as the fit is a little more relaxed and John said it's very easy to wear with slightly larger armholes.
That's one of the reasons the 27753 appeals to me; however, I am somewhat concerned about the larger armholes (sort of the same rationale as vintage suits with high armholes). I need to call John and get the scoop on the subtleties of fit between contracts.

fedoralover

Call Me a Cab
It's always fun to compare. Here's a pic of another high end Dubow Repro's pockets. You can judge for yourself which one actually looks like the original.

LSTWRDSDUBOW2.jpg

06_pockets.jpg

fedoralover

Smithy

I'll Lock Up
The more you see of John's jackets the more you realise just how far ahead in the repro stakes he is. The attention to detail and his determination to make repros as close to the original contracts as possible is incredible.

Windsock

A-List Customer
Smithy said:
And Andrew, are you getting another one?

I've got no choice Tim! I went out and did this to my normal GW wearer!

RIMG0350.jpg

The best bit is it's a direct reproduction of the jacket art on an original owned by the Artist himself who was a Ball Turrett Gunner...so you could say this is an original.

feltfan

My Mail is Forwarded Here
fedoralover said:
Here's a vintage Monarch jacket that John has and is going to reproduce at some point. It's a cool looking jacket that would give some variety to one's A-2 collection. He's even got some vintage zippers to put on it. I don't know when it will become available but I'm anxious to see it when it does.
civvie_front.jpg

civvie_reverse.jpg

fedoralover
Fedoralover's pictures aren't there anymore, but I just figured
out that I had saved copies of them.

2399307127_28eac6af70.jpg

2400140542_02a4984825.jpg

Just reposting so they are here for people to see.
I LIKE this jacket.

Windsock

A-List Customer
Smithy said:
Nice one Andrew!

Which contract are you going to get from John for your next one?

Tim, it's going to be the Dubow- I really love the shape of the collar and it will be the Vermont espresso HH. The latest shots of it on VLJ sealed it for me.

Before John found a good supplier for the HH I was very close to doing an experiment using 2.5-3oz seal kangaroo hide- John was really keen and all ready to try out the stuff after he saw the samples. The 'roo is veg tanned and drum rolled and behaves a lot like HH and creases up as soon as you touch it but I have canned the idea since seeing the HH.

RIMG0295.jpg

fedoralover

Call Me a Cab
Goodwear Dubow in Dark horse

Well at last I can post pics of a Goodwear jacket that is actually MINE! Here's the pics John sent me. I should get it in the mail in a day or two. I think it looks great, but then thats just me. You can see all the photo's here. I decided to go with brown knits, some Dubows did have them, though they weren't as common. http://www.goodwearleather.com/pages/gwdubow_images2.html

front_view-1.jpg

front_view_flat-2.jpg

fedoralover

fedoralover

Call Me a Cab
Dubow Review and a couple pics

Here's a review and a couple pics. The jacket is darker than shown, direct sunlight makes it look a shade or 2 lighter.

First, John was really great to work with. Very patient with my numerous phone calls and e-mails. A class act all the way.
The time line for getting the jacket was longer than originally expected but one has to keep in mind that John is a one man operation and he wants each jacket to turn out right, besides it worked out to the better as this horsehide was not available when I first ordered. I changed my mind several times and I'm not dissapointed in this leather. There are places on it that you can see the grain and other places that look smooth. Time will tell how much pops out. I've kneaded it some already to loosen it up, not that it was overly stiff, but just to soften it some and just doing that for 10 minutes made a lot of grain more prominent.
John has said that originals had little flaws here and there and that his would probably reflect that same characteristic. But honestly, I looked at the stitching very closely and I couldn't see any. The workmanship couldn't have been better.
I gave John the measurements I hoped would work and he delivered. NO tunneling on the sleeves this time.
I don't know about all the other contracts, but this Dubow is extremely comfortable to wear, much more so than my Aero Real Deal. I love the scalloped pockets flaps , the wider eps, and the overall look of the Dubow.
The NOS talon looks old, not shiny which I like even though nobody will probably ever see it but me.
There are alot of vendors making quality A-2 jackets. It will always be a debate on whose is best and for what reason. John makes a very accurate reproduction of many A-2 contracts. I think his are better than most who have been in the business a lot longer. Are they the absolute best? You can argue that till Armageddon, but in the end it's up to the person paying for the jacket to decide that for themselves and nobody else.
I am very very happy with this jacket, no regrets. Is it the worth the money?? From a purely practical standpoint, of course not. Neither is paying 3 to 4 hundred dollars for a fedora, but when you are into this sort of hobby, obsession or whatever you want to call it, it's not about practical, it's about having something unique that you can't go to the Mall and buy. Let's face it most people wouldn't know an accurate and quality A-2 repro from a Wilsons $99 close out special. But we do and that's our curse.
IMG20071102_20080416_0001_2.jpg

IMG20071102_20080416_0001.jpg

fedoralover

Mike K.

One Too Many
That's an amazing jacket you have fedoralover! I can't wait to get mine.

I am really awestruck over how a dark seal jacket can appear so russet colored in bright sunlight. Makes one wonder about those old color WWII photos.

Tiger Pilot

New in Town
Nice! Really nice jacket. I'm anxiously awaiting my "no name" 27753 from John in Vermont Espresso and I'm about to order a goat Doniger. I ordered my first in late March so I guess I've got a while to wait!

The fit on yours looks perfect to me, I hope mine fit as well.

Kent

fedoralover

Call Me a Cab
Just a follow up for anyone considering one of these jackets. While I haven't had a huge collection of A-2s. A Cooper, Avirex, US Authentic and an Aero Real Deal. This Goodwear Dubow jacket contract is the most comfortable to wear immediately out of the box of any jacket I've had. Some people have complained about how some contracts seemed binding when they raise their arms up or in front when they drive. Not this one, it's fantastic. Now I've got to save up for another one in Russet.

fedoralover

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HyakujuJoe