Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Newbie Needs Advice

Cruiser

One of the Regulars
Lawman said:
For those who asked, I am a size 7 1/2
So am I, and to my way of thinking, that makes the case for going to Art or Steve somewhat more compelling, because it is more difficult and expensive to find vintage hats in that size. By ordering a hat made, you will get exactly what you want, and can be assured of the fit and quality. HOWEVER, if you are patient, you can still find a nice vintage hat on ebay in your size. In the past few months, I have acquired a nice Borsalino, two Stetson Open Roads, a Stratoliner, and another fedora in my size; I am very pleased with each of them. Each of them sold for less than your budget, some for much less (one was $37.00). I enjoy the shopping and bidding. You might not enjoy it, or you might be in more of a hurry to get the hat. Hope this helps. Good luck.

EdinLA44

Familiar Face
Lawman said:
For those who asked, I am a size 7 1/2

Hi Lawman,

I'm a 7 1/2 too and finding one on eBay is rare and when they do show up, the prices climb quickly. You're probably better off going with a new hat. I've also found that a 7 1/2 from one vendor can be a bit different than another. For example, a Biltmore 7 1/2 is slightly too big whereas a modern Stetson Hampton is just a tad too tight. I'm a 7 1/2 long oval though, which could be the reason for the fit problems. Not many new hats come in a long oval anymore. By the way, if you have a hat store nearby or within a reasonable drive, it's best to go try a few on unless you want to be mailing hats back and forth until you get the right fit (just my 2 cents worth).

Ed

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HyakujuJoe