Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Newbie Intro

galopede

One of the Regulars
As long as it's only washing the glasses. Couldn't afford beer all round for you lot!:cheers1:

Had nobody here heard of the Rogue leather hats from South Africa? They are not as common as the ubiquitous Aussie leathers here but are often found at country fairs etc.

Not at all sure of that buffalo model! Think I'll stick to my Oily Jock for those all too common wet days.

Still nowhere near as good as my Fed or my ancient Dunn's trilby but the Jock has it's uses.

Gareth

TomS

One Too Many
Newbie Question: Montecristi Hat

Hi Folks:

I have a question and I'm hoping someone here might be able to help. I recently bought a Monticristi hat, and had it styled like a 1940's fedora. I really like the hat, but I can't get the front of the brim to stay down... It keeps popping back up all the way around. I figure there is probably an easy fix, but I dont want to ruin a brand new hat playing with it :eek:

Anyway, I appreciate any suggestions you guys might offer!

Thanks,
TomS

Cracker

One of the Regulars
These threads offer advice on shaping the brim of a panama. I have successfully flattened a panama brim from a shape I did not like by spritzing the brim with water, and weighting it down with books on top of a towel. I next plan to turn the front brim down by similarly wetting the brim, weighting the brim with books on the edge of a counter, and letting the hat hang over the edge.

See post #13 here.
Also, see this thread.

There are many other panama hat threads out there that you should search and check out, and some discuss brims and shaping. Good luck.

TomS

One Too Many
Cracker said:
These threads offer advice on shaping the brim of a panama. I have successfully flattened a panama brim from a shape I did not like by spritzing the brim with water, and weighting it down with books on top of a towel. I next plan to turn the front brim down by similarly wetting the brim, weighting the brim with books on the edge of a counter, and letting the hat hang over the edge.

See post #13 here.
Also, see this thread.

There are many other panama hat threads out there that you should search and check out, and some discuss brims and shaping. Good luck.

Thanks, Cracker. I didnt know the proper terms to do an effective search. I appreciate your help!

Jants

New in Town
Newbie to the lounge. Introduction and a question.

Greetings all, long time Fedora fanatic, first time lounger. I own about 9-10 Fedoras, from Stetson's to Miller's to Borsalino's and I know this topic has been done to death, but I tried looking everywhere for an answer and just couldn't find what I was looking for, even among the various threads here. About 2-3 months ago I happened to be in a new and used store and discovered this gorgeous Royal De Luxe Stetson Fedora...couldn't believe my luck, because not only was it the proper color I was looking for...the lady running it really didn't know what to sell it for an ultimately sold it to me for 60 dollars (shocking, I know). Well, I removed the skinny ribbon on it and ultimately put on a cream colored one for now, but...and here's the part that has been done to death, I am a Depp impersonator and have traveled the world doing it...and I have been looking tirelessly for a ribbon similar in color as his. I have looked for Vintage ribbons, rayon ribbons, satin etc...hell at this point I'd even go polyester if it matches. Any help in identifying the color and a possible lead as to where I may find said ribbon would be greatly appreciated. It should be a 1.5 in width and has an interesting sheen to it. Once I get the ribbon I can then begin the painful process of tearing up my hat, which is an unfortunate part of being an impersonator. Well without further ado, here's the pics:

Johnny's band:

My hat and band:

Last edited:

TheDane

Call Me a Cab
Welcome to The Lounge, Jants. The color you may call "Susan", "Billy" or "Herberth Leopold". Most ribbon suppliers gave their ribbon colors exotic names with a sense of luxury - just like the hat factories did with hat colors. Very often the color names are far from what a painter would call the same colors - and different suppliers most often use(d) different names for the same color - and/or the same name for different colors.

That said, I would call it a golden cream ... for whatever that's worth [huh] :)

Jants

New in Town
Thank you so much. Definitely is a new lead to help point me in the proper direction. Can't believe how much time I've spent searching the net for it. Lol. I did see a fedora for sale that had the right ribbon, if all else fails I may just buy the fedora for the ribbon. Cheers!

TheDane

Call Me a Cab
You may try to look for some vintage ribbon in the color "New Twilight" from "Band Craft" (but please notice, that "Twilight" from other makers is a completely different color). It comes close to the color of Mr. Depp's ribbon. But actually I think the ribbon on your hat fits the color of the hat - just as Mr. Depp's ribbon fits the color of his hat. I mean your hat is more neutral gray - and so is the ribbon. Mr. Depp's hat is more in the taupe/tan/beige region - and so is his ribbon.

Last edited:

TheDane

Call Me a Cab
PS: The panic-button: "A cup of good strong tea". That will tint the ribbon (if it's not made from synthetic fibres), but don't wear it in a downpour ;)

Jants

New in Town
Thank you, I'll check it out. The pic really doesn't show the color of my hat too well, but it does look like Depp's hat color in the picture above. Silver Belly I assume, even though it doesn't state the color on the inside since I bought it used. The binding on my hat and the old skinny band has a more golden cream look like Depp's aswell.

Jants

New in Town
Thank you. Cheers! Guess I'll post some of my collection in this thread after tracking down this elusive color ribbon. Hehe

TheDane

Call Me a Cab
Oh and I'm sorry but is band craft a website?

No, I think Band Craft went out of business many years ago. You can only get it vintage - sometimes on eBay. New hat ribbon in useable quality is very hard to come by. You could try Mokuba's shop in New York. They don't sell over the web, and they only have a few shops in selected capitols around the World. That's the only contemporary maker, I know of, that makes cotton/rayon grosgrain with real rayon.

You can't get modern grosgrain ribbon to "hug" the crown properly. It's too stiff to work with.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HyakujuJoe