Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

New U.S. Authentic A-2 Review

fedoralover

Call Me a Cab
Well I got my Russet HH A-2 from U.S. Authentic today. Unfortunately it has a flaw in the leather where the epaulet meets the shoulder. It looks like the leather was trimmed too far back. Here's a couple of pics.

Do you think I should live with it and save myself $23.00 shipping to send it back?

IMG_20070130_0001.jpg

Here is the flaw

IMG_20070130_0001_3.jpg

fedoralover

Bebop

Practically Family
US Authentic makes such nice jackets. I bought one last year and it looks and fits like it was custom made. I am surprised that such a flaw would make it to the customer. They have pretty good customer service and since it should last you for quite a long time, why have a flaw? I suppose you could live with it but if it were my jacket, my eyes would go to that spot everytime I picked up the jacket to put it on. By the way, nice hat to go with that jacket!

scotrace

Head Bartender
Staff member
You know... I'm the last guy to send something back... if I can possibly live with it... but - that's pretty nasty. Your eye will go to it every time you slip it on.

I'd send it back, and try and get them to eat the postage.

(Sweet jacket otherwise - great fit)

greyhound68

A-List Customer
Great fitting jacket. I think you have the perfect fit. Now to the bad part. Yes I would send it back. That should have been caught in the inspection of the jacket before sent to the customer. I agree with the previous posters that my eye would go right to that defect everytime. You paid good money for it and US Auth. should stand behind their product.

The Wingnut

One Too Many
For the amount of money you spent, it should not give you any regrets. Make sure it's *right*. A few years from now you'll wonder why you didn't return it to have it fixed / replaced, and it'll be too late to do so.

fedoralover

Call Me a Cab
Thanks for the input, I sent an e-mail to their customer service with the photo of the problem. I'll be sending it back I'm sure. I noticed the sleeve knits seemed too long, I wonder if they have shorter ones?

fedoralover

The Wingnut

One Too Many
I'd agree the knits seem too long...but I'd overlook that if they were the right color...they're too dark! That was the first thing I noticed about mine.

I'd imagine they source them from a common manufacturer that makes knits for many applications.

ldmax

Familiar Face
You might want to have the sleeves shortened a tad, as long as you are sending it back anyway. The cuffs are tunneling up into the sleeve. Great looking jacket, though. I have one in goatskin - kinda wish I would have gotten the horse. As far as the dark knits go, I like the contrast. Aero uses contrasting knits on some of their original contract reproductions.

bfrench

Familiar Face
fedoralover said:
Well I got my Russet HH A-2 from U.S. Authentic today. Unfortunately it has a flaw in the leather where the epaulet meets the shoulder. It looks like the leather was trimmed too far back. Here's a couple of pics.

Do you think I should live with it and save myself $23.00 shipping to send it back?

IMG_20070130_0001.jpg

fedoralover

Hi, fedoralover,

That jacket is a super fit.

As one of the previous posters said have the arms shortened 1/2" to 3/4" to give the jacket an even better drape.

One thing I did notice is the collar seems much lower on your right side as compared to your left side - maybe it's the way you're wearing the jacket or is the collar sewn on lop sided?

Something to check before returning.

Otherwise you have a very realistic looking A-2 - I sometimes feel that US A are overlooked far too often.

Bill French

SPAD

New in Town
That sure is a beautiful jacket. I would call the Shaul Dover and e-mail him a picture I think he would pick up the postage upon seeing the problem. I just got my US Authentic goakskin and they really make a nice jacket.I'm having trouble posting a picture on Fedora though. Yours looks great. Then you can always say that was caused by climbing into the cockpit of your P-51;) .Ciao, Bill,:)

Swoosed

One of the Regulars
Send it back. Shaul will credit the postage. I have the same jacket, when I got it the zipper was broken. I sent it back and he fixed it and I had it back in 2 days. I live in NY so it was fast, but they do stand behind thier product.

The disturbing thing is that all these defects are getting out of the factory.

Also get the sleeves shortened, I am sending mine back to get them cut an inch and a half, at no charge.

Its a beauty and will get MUCH nicer as you wear it. The grain will start to pop in a week or two.

fedoralover

Call Me a Cab
I just got an e-mail from Shaul and he said to send it back for an exchange, but he didn't say anything about picking up the postage. I will call him later today.
To be honest I'm considering just returning it for a refund and being patient for a nice A-2 to come up on ebay. But I haven't made up my mind yet. I was a little concerned about the wimpy zipper and the long cuffs, they just didn't feel right. Am I being too picky? Comments and input please.

fedoralover

Raymundo

One of the Regulars
If you are not happy with the jacket for any reason then send it back for a refund. I sent a HH A-2 back to them about six months ago because the cuffs and arms and the jacket length was too long. Also, the leather was just too stiff for me. If you do ask for a refund be prepared to wait. It took about a month for them to credit my credit card and I had to keep after them with emails to remind them I had not received credit yet. Good luck.

Ray

greyhound68

A-List Customer
fedoralover said:
I just got an e-mail from Shaul and he said to send it back for an exchange, but he didn't say anything about picking up the postage. I will call him later today.
To be honest I'm considering just returning it for a refund and being patient for a nice A-2 to come up on ebay. But I haven't made up my mind yet. I was a little concerned about the wimpy zipper and the long cuffs, they just didn't feel right. Am I being too picky? Comments and input please.

fedoralover

No you are not too picky. I think you will not be happy with this until you get the right jacket. So if you want to look at ebay I would do so. What size did you get on the US Auth.? This could determine whether you could get a good jacket on ebay.

fedoralover

Call Me a Cab
It is a size 40, which runs pretty true to a normal sports jacket size for me. It's about 19 inches across the shoulders in back and arm length "should be" around 24, and across the chest this one is 22 which looks like a good fit. So what are my ebay chances?

fedoralover

SHARPETOYS

Call Me a Cab
fedoralover said:

fedoralover

Rich,
I agree your jacket should have never been shipped with that defect. I think the sleeves will be ok once your jacket breaks in.

scotrace

Head Bartender
Staff member
At a certain point, I think you have to be picky on a sliding scale. The fit is just about perfect. I'd not fuss about the cuffs or length. As those sleeves wrinkle and break in, they'll pull up a bit.
If you want dead on perfect, you may want to watch for one of the very top-end jackets on eBay. But for the money... the chance of nailing the fit like that again in a second-hand jacket? Not so good.

Keep this one (after repairing). AND start watching eBay. Win-win!

kojax

Practically Family
a2 horsehide

i would return that jacket to much of a flaw for me......i got a 36 a2 horsehide from u.s. mfg the jacket came in nice and breaking in very well.my sleeves were alittle long but now seem to shorted up alittle..i think once you shorted the sleeves it ruins the jacket. i did it once the jacket was never the same ........good luck

Stinchcomb

One of the Regulars
I would send it back for an exchange. I would think they should pay postage. They can e-mail you a UPS shipping label, as they did for me, but that is another story. I think for the $ and service you can’t beat US Auth. You never know how long it may take to find the right jacket on eBay and there usually isn’t any kind of exchange policy on eBay.

I agree the zipper is some what of a light weight, but everything else seems top quality. I have noticed, as some have mentioned that the sleeves do draw up a bit has the wrinkles form.

The other story: When I received my A2 from them Monday a week ago. I received two packages. I opened the first and it was what I had ordered. I opened the other that was addressed to me. It was a size larger custom job with name patch, AAF patch on shoulder and name imprinted on the liner. Nice jacket I thought, but I didn’t ask for this. I looked under the shipping label and apparently someone printed two labels for me and placed one of them over the label of the other package that was supposed to go to Japan. I quickly called them and they e-mail me a return label. I figured some Japanese fellow was anxiously awaiting his jacket just as I was.

I also owe a picture of mine as I promised someone yesterday. I took the pics but left the camera at home. I try and get mine on here tomorrow.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
billmacsworld