Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

New to this....sry

onlyoneintown

One of the Regulars
I just posted a thread under hat to teach me how to wear them when dressing casual but now i would like to know when is a good time to wear a suit? If it was up to me I would wear a suit everyday but I don't know if that would be right so I was wondering if anyone out there would give me the 411 on dressing because
I have no clue at all please help.

Tony in Tarzana

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I hate to sound like a Nike ad, but just do it. I live in southern California too, and last fall when the weather cooled off, I just started wearing suits to work. It feels a little strange at first, but it soon becomes natural.

Once you become accustomed to it, it won't feel awkward and you won't look awkward. The extra pockets come in handy, too.

Daisy Buchanan

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Most of us here don't tend to go with the norm or dress to todays standards. The men I know wear suits on a regular basis, dressing down means a nice pair of dress slacks or khakis, an oxford shirt, a tie and either a sweater vest or a sweater. To me, there is no right or wrong time to wear a suit, or in my case a pretty dress or skirt suit. I get dressed up to go to the grocery. Don't worry so much what other people will think. Wear what you like when you like to. If putting on a suit makes you feel good, or you like the style on you, wear one. Todays styles are pretty lax, and I understand that there are people out there who might snicker or sneer, but you get used to it. There was a time when it was highly fashionable to get dressed up. I find that the dressy attire of today was the casual style of time gone by.

So, live it up. If you like suits, where them whenever you want to. I wish more people would pay a little more attention to wardrobe. We have become a sloppy society. I don't look down at people for following the trend of the day, it's just not for me. Some girls wear their velvet sweat suits out to a nice dinner, I reserve mine for lounging around the house. To each his own, but in my opinion there is never a wrong time to wear a suit, well unless you're at the beach:) although some people here might beg to differ on that point:eek: :p :D

It does take some getting used to. Sometimes dressing vintage and being the only person in the room who took the time to get dressed up can bring attention to oneself. But you get accustomed to it and what you think might be negative attention might actually be positive and possibly jealous ogling. Where what you like, when you like to. If that means wearing a suit to go to the grocery, then just do it (thanks Tony, and Nike too:)). Who knows, maybe dressing nicer is becoming contagious. Soon men all over the world will be donning peaked lapel suits with high armholes!!!lol Top that off with a rush for bound brim charcoal grey Borses and the world would be quite grand! Hey, a gal can dream.....*****daisy drifts off to an imaginary world of handsome well dressed single men:rolleyes: *****

obiwan

Familiar Face
I'm the only guy in the office that wears a suit most every day. When I first started there was a buzz around the office, they mostly thought I was interviewing some place else.

Last week, I was walking to lunch with a co-worker, had on a blue suit, full length gaberdine rain coat and a grey fedora. A complete stranger, stopped us and blurted out, "Can I tell you how dapper you look?". I have never had a compliment like that when wearing slacks and a button down or a nice sweater. When I first started wearing suits on a regular basis, I was a little shy about it, now it has emboldened me, I feel great, a spring in my step if you will.

Wear them daily if you can or care to, your dress will have an amazing affect on those around you and most likely, you too.

Maj.Nick Danger

I'll Lock Up
What the heck.

Just do it! :)
Wear a suit.
If we all start wearing suits again,...maybe we can start this sorta trend?
It has to start someplace,...no?
Sometimes ya just gotta say,...what the heck. :D

skwerl-hat

One of the Regulars
thats how i started out i just put on a suit and ignored the odd stares. It does generate attention but usually its the positive kind. It does feel awkward at first but after awhile that fades.

slicedbread

A-List Customer
You could "ease" into it like I did if you think that it will be more comfortable for you...What I mean by that is, first I started wearing sportcoats with jeans and a t shirt. Then, I slowly began wearing dress shirts more frequently. Then, I stopped wearing jeans altogether and wore an odd jacket with a dress shirt, an odd pair of pants, and sometimes a hat. I never went past that point because I'm simply not interested in taking it to the extreme. Being a high school senior, I just don't find it appropriate and don't want to be perceived as wearing a costume like some other people who try to be "unique" by just being(or dressing) loud.

Now, when I first started I had tons of people asking me "why?" However, that's simply a natural thing because no one in my school of 2200 people ever wears slacks, much less a nice hat. After the initial week or so, everyone started warming up and just recently I was nominated "best dressed" as well as "most unique" senior...Of course, I don't expect or want to win because I'm far too prideful to pander for votes in such a degrading popularity contest...But that's another story and it's mostly a rant so It's better off left unsaid.

The moral of the story is; wear what you want and feel good/confident while you're wearing it.

To obiwan, I've been stopped by a few older gents and ladies with the "Well, aren't you looking dapper today" comment...It's incredibly flattering.

manton

A-List Customer
Get a job as a corporate drone in a slab-sided office building in which most everyone wears suits. It worked for me.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HyakujuJoe