Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

New Suit Day: Think MAD MEN

I've seen this jacket first hand and I agree that it's inspired by the 1960s. However, its a shorter jacket in the 'modern' style, and the front edge of the jacket is quite curved, almost like a bolero or something.

The curve/cutaway is exactly how a single-button should be cut. The problem with the modern models is that they appear to be two-button jackets with one button removed. They're too boxy. Here's Jerry Lewis wearing the cutaway in The Nutty Professor. The higher button stance and cutaway create not only an hourglass sillouhette but project a man of action.

jerlewnuttyredjkt.jpg

You guys can do your skirt chasing all you want... I'll continue being the nice guy a la Jimmy Stewart.

Let's see...where did I just read this? :rolleyes:

CharlesB

Suspended
Senator Jack said:
The curve/cutaway is exactly how a single-button should be cut. The problem with the modern models is that they appear to be two-button jackets with one button removed. They're too boxy. Here's Jerry Lewis wearing the cutaway in The Nutty Professor. The higher button stance and cutaway create not only an hourglass sillouhette but project a man of action.

jerlewnuttyredjkt.jpg

Let's see...where did I just read this? :rolleyes:
I think youd really like the suits at topmans

KittyT

I'll Lock Up
Musclebuzz said:
Always ask yourself...WHAT WOULD DON DRAPER do?????

If I was in a situation with anyone who acted the way Don Draper would, I'd punch him in the face. What would a decent, respectful human being do? Most of the time, not what Don Draper would.

Jovan

Suspended
KittyT said:
If I was in a situation with anyone who acted the way Don Draper would, I'd punch him in the face. What would a decent, respectful human being do? Most of the time, not what Don Draper would.
:eusa_clap

Jack: You said something about Mr. Stewart and nice guys in your Point Counter Point article. Either a coincidence or I just subconsciously recalled that. lol

Thanks for the education, as always. I never thought of owning a one button suit until now, but I can picture it working pretty well on me. Quite rakish on my physique. Or is that... continental of me? ;)

CharlesB

Suspended
KittyT said:
Don Draper is probably one of the most despicable characters on tv

KittyT

I'll Lock Up
CharlesB said:
Don Draper is probably one of the most despicable characters on tv

Regardless, that doesn't mean I don't adore the show. Can't wait for the new season to start, if the Writers ever make it off strike.

Jovan, I think a suit in this style would look very nice on you. I know you love that late 50/early 60s collegiate-type style and I think the cut of this style suit would work well for gents with your build.

Posted by Jovan:
I never thought of owning a one button suit until now, but I can picture it working pretty well on me.

The cutaway would probably suit your frame and height. Jerry Lewis' height is reported to be anywhere from 5'10" to 6', but despite his being called 'short' in a film or two, I believe he was 6' back in his heydey. In Nutty Professor, there's a scene in a gym where he comes up against some pretty tall guys - about 7' (Richard 'Jaws' Kiel being one of them) - and in the commentary he says they were trying to scrounge up every tall guy in Hollywood. If he were 5'10", I don't think it would have been that difficult to find men to tower over him. Of course, the guy carried himself well, too, having studied the posture and movement of Fred Astaire and Gene Kelley. As I've said before, I've always thought he was one of the best-dressed men in Hollywood.

Currently, I'm having my black cutaway copied in a steel gray over at Hemrajani. Should be arriving in a few weeks.

Regards,

Senator Jack

Mr. Rover

One Too Many
It's an old Harvard Society Club suit from the early 60s- 3 roll 2 buttons in a charcoal gray flannel. I just bought a suit from Ralph Lauren Rugby in a similar cut but with a regular 3 button jacket. Honestly, slim pants are very flattering for skinny guys like me, but they're uncomfortable for long periods. It'd be like for nights out or for short romp during the day.

CharlesB

Suspended
Mr. Rover said:
It's an old Harvard Society Club suit from the early 60s- 3 roll 2 buttons in a charcoal gray flannel. I just bought a suit from Ralph Lauren Rugby in a similar cut but with a regular 3 button jacket. Honestly, slim pants are very flattering for skinny guys like me, but they're uncomfortable for long periods. It'd be like for nights out or for short romp during the day.
I actually find the skinny pants perfectly fine for long periods.

Jovan

Suspended
Senator Jack said:
The cutaway would probably suit your frame and height. Jerry Lewis' height is reported to be anywhere from 5'10" to 6', but despite his being called 'short' in a film or two, I believe he was 6' back in his heydey. In Nutty Professor, there's a scene in a gym where he comes up against some pretty tall guys - about 7' (Richard 'Jaws' Kiel being one of them) - and in the commentary he says they were trying to scrounge up every tall guy in Hollywood. If he were 5'10", I don't think it would have been that difficult to find men to tower over him. Of course, the guy carried himself well, too, having studied the posture and movement of Fred Astaire and Gene Kelley. As I've said before, I've always thought he was one of the best-dressed men in Hollywood.

Currently, I'm having my black cutaway copied in a steel gray over at Hemrajani. Should be arriving in a few weeks.

Regards,

Senator Jack
Can't wait to see it. I'm going to have a look at Hemrajani for shirts and suits.

fernande

Vendor
CharlesB said:
Actually the arm holes are quite nicely done. I've never had a problem with anything from there and my black waist coat from there is a staple of my wardrobe. Granted its not the quality of fabric you would find going wholly bespoke or anything but the quality based on the price is very very nice imho.

I always buy some Topman for MYSELF when I'm in the UK.

the cardigans, and suit jackets (size 34 or XS) are great when I'm feeling a little Marlene Deitrich.
most recently I picked up a black cardigan and a slim "mad men" style jacket. (is it okay for a girl to work the mad men look too? I wear black cuffed shorts in the same fabric- so I guess it takes on a bit of a "cigarette girl" vibe...)

Topman's quality is a little iffy sometimes (the sweaters tend to get pill too soon) and last time, with the pathetic exchange rate for my dollar I did pause slightly before purchasing- but- the cuts- are quite nice. its what keeps me coming back.

CharlesB

Suspended
fernande said:
I always buy some Topman for MYSELF when I'm in the UK.

the cardigans, and suit jackets (size 34 or XS) are great when I'm feeling a little Marlene Deitrich.
most recently I picked up a black cardigan and a slim "mad men" style jacket. (is it okay for a girl to work the mad men look too? I wear black cuffed shorts in the same fabric- so I guess it takes on a bit of a "cigarette girl" vibe...)

Topman's quality is a little iffy sometimes (the sweaters tend to get pill too soon) and last time, with the pathetic exchange rate for my dollar I did pause slightly before purchasing- but- the cuts- are quite nice. its what keeps me coming back.
yeah a 34 fits me like a jem. then agai thats what i get for my 28 waist ya know.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HyakujuJoe