Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

New Star Trek

Twitch

My Mail is Forwarded Here
One thing for certain is that Kirk, whoever plays him, is the Captain. He was the only captain that was worth a hoot anywho. All the rest did was analize and basically promote board meetings, or bored meetings, with unending diplomatic ga-ga speak droning on forever.

Kirk was always at the ready, shields up with phasers and torpedos armed.

Jovan

Suspended
Twitch said:
One thing for certain is that Kirk, whoever plays him, is the Captain. He was the only captain that was worth a hoot anywho. All the rest did was analize and basically promote board meetings, or bored meetings, with unending diplomatic ga-ga speak droning on forever.

But that's where the movies got a little too much, IMO. Being a starship captain is a huge responsibility, yet all the other ones beside him were complete patsies made to have Kirk look the best or... red-jackets (lol?) who had to die within the first few scenes like in STIII. One would think you'd have to be as badass as Kirk to be able to control a starship larger than several football fields... apparently not. :-/

MrBern

I'll Lock Up
Twitch said:

Yes he was.
But remember this will be a young kirk. Not necessarily the same confidence or polish. Same for Spock.
Keep in mind how AdmiralKirk doubted himself thru most of WrathofKhan. Or even how he wasnt prepared for the ship upgrades in ST:TMP.

MrBern

I'll Lock Up
Qwkslvr said:
He was a cowboy. I always thought that TOS was rather like a western without the cowboy hats and horses.

There was an episode of Voyager where Janeway makes that observation that the TOS characters were cowboys & too quick to go to their guns, but she admired them.
Then again, it seems that as Voyager found itself, Janeway got pretty macho.
A far cry from the initial episodes when she didnt quite know how to handle the aliens who stole Neelix' lungs...

MrBern

I'll Lock Up
Jovan said:
But that's where the movies got a little too much, IMO. Being a starship captain is a huge responsibility, yet all the other ones beside him were complete patsies made to have Kirk look the best or... red-jackets (lol?) who had to die within the first few scenes like in STIII. One would think you'd have to be as badass as Kirk to be able to control a starship larger than several football fields... apparently not. :-/

Differnt styles of story-telling.
TNG was full of therapy sessions w/ counsellor Troi.
In TheCAGE, the ship's doctor pours Pike a drink.

Frankly, I was always surprised at th first meeting w/ th Borg, Picard & crew adjourn to the ready room to discuss th situation & why they were getting whooped.
Interesting drama, but I prefer the WWII style combat of Kirk on the bridge overtaking enemy alien vessels.

Dominic

One of the Regulars
I totally agree. To me, there's TOS and not much else. I never got into TNG, DS9, ST:V or Enterprise for that matter. I do remember a MAD parody wonderfully drawn by Mort Drucker that made the TOS crew zap the TNG one right into oblivion.

MrBern

I'll Lock Up
not official

trekmovie.con has artist impressions of what the young actors could look like in TOS roles.
1558073278_139c0983f6.jpg
1558073340_5d3f75f62d.jpg

MrBern

I'll Lock Up
Menagerie on BigScreen

Trek in Theaters TKTS info
tosrmenagerieposters.jpg

11/13
Boldly go where no man has gone before to see two of the most famous “Star Trek: The Original Series” episodes – your local movie theatre! “Star Trek: The Original Series” will be beamed onto the big screen for only one night in select movie theatres nationwide on Tuesday, Nov. 13th at 7:30PM (local). This event features the original Season 1 episodes “The Menagerie” Part 1 and 2, digitally re-mastered in High-Definition and Cinema Surround Sound. Also included is greeting from creator Gene Roddenberry’s son, Eugene “Rod” Roddenberry and an exclusive 30-minute behind-the-scenes look at how the episodes were digitally re-mastered.

Jovan

Suspended
More like WIP in my mind. It'll be done -- someday. I have a bit of a soft spot for The Cage uniforms. And I do specifically mean The Cage... why did they lose that rolled look to the collar in Where No Man Has Gone Before? Made no sense to me to nerf something of such high aesthetic value, however useless it may be in functionality.

Boots can be bought for $60 online: http://www.outworldsutlery.com/pre.html

Edward

Bartender
Well, folks, I have no links or further information, but I heard from a friend today that Scotty has been cast - Simon Shaun of the Dead Pegg.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
actimally