Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

new member first time steaming and reshaping hat

donnelly

New in Town
I was given this stetson from my Dad and he never really took care of it. I steamed it and reshaped it tell me what you think of my first attempt!
DSC_8450.jpg

DSC_8451.jpg

DSC_8452.jpg

DSC_8453.jpg

DSC_8459.jpg

on a final note any idea of the Year?
Thanks for looking

Rodkins

Call Me a Cab
I was given this stetson from my Dad and he never really took care of it. I steamed it and reshaped it tell me what you think of my first attempt!

on a final note any idea of the Year?
Thanks for looking
Nice job! My guess is 1970's but someone who knows what they are talking about will hopefully chime in.

donnelly

New in Town
the hat is a felt hat so it came out nicely, any help on how to reshape the brim would be much welcomed. I have been lurking for a while now.

... any help on how to reshape the brim would be much welcomed. I have been lurking for a while now.

I use a steam iron with a handkerchief between the felt & the iron to reshape wonky brims. Make sure to be careful with the point of the iron as you get up near the crown & hatband. Make sure to use lots of steam & the brim will firm up when it cools as the steam reactivates the shellac in the felt. HTH

donnelly

New in Town
how do you get it to roll up on the rear and sides with an Iron? A video of this would be very helpful lol

fmw

One Too Many
You are already way past me. I think he is talking about the iron as a steam source. You would need to block the brim or shape it by hand after steaming. I use a tea kettle as a steam source. It works fine. What doesn't work fine is what I do to the felt after steaming. I'm not ready for prime time in the hat craftsmanship arena, that's for sure.

donnelly

New in Town
lol I hear you! I was amazed at how I was able to reshape the hat so easily after applying steam. I have a family friend that makes hats for a living I haven't yet given him a call to ask his opinion

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HyakujuJoe