Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

New Ladies and Gents Step Forward

Twinkle

Familiar Face
Hello...

Glad to finally be apart of the Fedora Lounge....

I found this site cause a friend of mine was in the June competition of the Retro Radar Pin up (she came second) :(

Great to finally find a place a can chat to like minded people who don't think what I like is odd/strange

I've been into vintage all my life, my parents collected victoriana and I revolted and got into 50's plastic, however I love anything from the 20's to the 50's, and my home and wardrobe reflect this!!!

I'm a typical magpie and love anything shiny, a complusive buyer of vintage.....

I love lindy hop (just starting out) and cars.... I've got several old VW's and an Edsel station wagon (Villager).

Anyway thats about it from me for now, I'm sure you'll find out more as time goes on!!! lol

Foofoogal

Banned
[bad] Me!
I just noticed this thread. I guess it was rude to not introduce myself first.
My name is Sandy and I found this super place by looking for hat help.
I am an online dealer or antiques, collectibles, retro, vintage, kitsch, most anything old since 2002 and a collector forever.
I can go into a modern mall and come out with nothing but for some reason if I have to dig for something or clean it or repair it I will buy something every time. Maybe I have treasure hunter in my genes or something. lol
I love the research of stuff also.
Come visit me on my new blog which I have no clue what I am doing since I know zip about html.
http://www.sandysfancypants.blogspot.com

I posted about this forum yesterday. Hope it is ok.[huh]

Orchids Please

New in Town
What a marvelous site.

A brief intro. My name is Mary. A complete '40's - '50's retro maven.

Live in O'side, CA now. Formerly L.A., N.Y.C. (where I am from), Tucson,
and about 3 mazillion other places.

Time to 23skiddo for this gal.

Mary

cadence

New in Town
Hey Lauren

Hi Lauren, I just thought i'd pop in and say a quick hello. I'm brand spankin' new here, and I gotta say, I love this site. It's fantastic. Here is a little info on myself: I used to live in Brisbane (Australia) and now I currently live in a small town in Tasmania (Huge change from the second largest city in Australia to a very small country town). Ever since I was a young girl I have always loved the pure glamour and politeness of the old days. The way the ladies held there heads high and the way gentelmen would stand when a lady left the table was a divine thought to me. The style and sophistication awed me, and to this day it still does. I am now 23 years old and a single mother of a beautiful baby boy. He is currently 11 months old. This year I started to finish my grade 12 (the last year of school), however due to unfortunate circumstances and pressures I had to suspend my schooling until next year, where i can go back to school and pick up where I left off. I was studying English, Biology and level 5 pre-tertiary psychology. To my joy and amazement I excelled in each of these subjects and got no less than an A-. that is a little bit of my story and I hope you enjoy reading about it.

Foofoogal

Banned
I live by Lake Conroe which is about 60 miles north of Houston.
My family came to Texas in 1858 to a town near you called Athens!
It is so hot lately!

Foofoogal

Banned
Only the long time Texans will understand sugar, darlin, honey, baby as true terms of endearment and not put downs.......to men, other women and especially children!
I miss terribly people talking like that! Hey, I think I found my quote and it is definitely southern.

“You can catch more flies with honey than with vinegar.”

anna_newman

New in Town
Hi,

Just a short note to introduce myself. I'm Anna and I can't believe I didn't find this wonderful site sooner! I'm a huge vintage collector, love all things home sewing and costuming related, and when the closets were about to explode in '97 I took the plunge into vintage selling as well. Gotta find a way to support your habit ;)

So happy to be here.
anna

decodoll

Practically Family
Hi Anna! It's Jennifer (with the hats. :) ) It's nice to see you here!

For those that don't know, Anna has some of the most wonderful vintage hats of any vintage vendor around!

Viviene

Vendor
My name is Marge but I'm know as Viviene on Ebay. I love vintage clothing and accessories from the 1920s to the 1970s. I found this site looking for people who are interested in the same things I am. I recently opened a vintage clothing store on line after deciding Ebay was not for me. I am in a vintage mall with 22 other vintage sellers. I was born in 1959 and really missed a lot of what I love so I named my store Born Too Late Vintage. I'm having a lot of fun with my store.

I also sew and am taking on the challenge of altering a pattern to fit my size (I'm a size 24 modern) so I can wear vintage to my husband's Christmas party this year. I found a fabulous fabric to work with and we'll see how things go. I've been enjoying all the different forums here.

BonnieJean

Practically Family
Marge,
I'm a 1959 baby boomer too and always thought that I was born too late! My fondest childhood memories are the times I spent at my grandparent's home. They enjoyed all the music and stuff from the 1930s and 1940s (their primes in life) and my grandmother had a closest full of vintage clothes from the 1920s through the 1950s that I loved to play dress-up in. Oh, how I wish I could have that closet full of clothes again! Last weekend I bought a 1930s fur piece (complete with heads and tails and feet) and a pair of gloves and as I was paying for them, a strange sense of joy overcame me. It was just how I felt when I was wearing my grandmother's vintage clothes as a child. I had forgotten that sense of glee over the years. I guess I've finally come back to my roots. Now I want to wear vintage wear all the time! BTW, my hubby's work's Christmas party will be vintage Hollywood this year and I'm looking for the perfect glamour gown. I think I'll be sewing something for myself because those women back in the 30s were awfully tiny and its hard to find stuff to fit me.

Viviene

Vendor
Bonnie Jean,

That is too funny. I can remember all the family parties at my paternal grandmother's house. My godmother, Aunt Rose, had a mink wrap with the feet, heads and tails on it. When everyone would be in the main dining room eating dessert I would be upstairs sitting on my grandparents bed poking the eyes of the minks!

I am the caretaker of my mom's ballerina length wedding gown and crown. I actually tried it on my mannequin (a modern size 4) and I could not button up the back. I could not believe how small my mom was!

I also have two daughters ages 9 and almost 8. They are very interested in vintage clothing and help me find things for my store. They also love to wear things for dress up that are just too far gone for me to sell. I did try making vintage dress up boxes for little girls but Ebay was not the place to sell them. I may do some in a couple of months in my own store and see how it goes.

I have a silver brocade fabric that I'm going to use to make my Christmas party dress. Once I get it done I'll link a picture here. I'm a hippy type gal (as in child bearing hips) so the 1950s-early 1960s are the best style for me. I did, however, find a 40s dress real recently in the Salvation Army here and it actually fits me really well. I was so excited. Now I'm trying to figure out how to get my hair cut to encompass the 40s-50s look. My hair is wavey and in yucky layers right now so I'm thinking a short cut that I can pin curl.
Anyhow, it's been nice talking with all of you. :)

Daisy Buchanan

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I thought it would be a nice idea to bring this thread back to life, for I have noticed a great influx of new ladies joining The Lounge.
I'm so sorry for not being able to remember all of your names, I have seen quite a lot of you, and didn't want to write a few names and risk leaving someone out.
So, to all of you new gals who have joined our group, Welcome! It's so nice to see our small community growing, and growing it is. We now have around 2800 members ( I apologize if this is off, but that's what I thought it was at)
This is a wonderful place to meet spectacular people with such a passion for fashion, history, art, music, so many fine things that you wouldn't encounter on an everyday basis. It's a warm establishment, everyone is very sweet and welcoming.
Warning, this place really grows on you, and might become habit forming. But, I can think of much worse habits to have.
It's a great place to learn too. Just about anything you need to find out about the vintage life, you can find here. Don't hesitate to ask questions, and please don't hesitate in sharing your knowledge, one can never learn enough about the bygone era that we all feel warmly about.

It's so wonderful to know that the passion for vintage is growing. So, come in, pull up an easy chair, and enjoy.

Welcome to The Lounge to all the new gals
:eusa_clap :cheers1:
Daisy

Daisy Buchanan

BonnieJean said:
Marge,
I'm a 1959 baby boomer too and always thought that I was born too late! My fondest childhood memories are the times I spent at my grandparent's home. They enjoyed all the music and stuff from the 1930s and 1940s (their primes in life) and my grandmother had a closest full of vintage clothes from the 1920s through the 1950s that I loved to play dress-up in. Oh, how I wish I could have that closet full of clothes again! Last weekend I bought a 1930s fur piece (complete with heads and tails and feet) and a pair of gloves and as I was paying for them, a strange sense of joy overcame me. It was just how I felt when I was wearing my grandmother's vintage clothes as a child. I had forgotten that sense of glee over the years. I guess I've finally come back to my roots. Now I want to wear vintage wear all the time! BTW, my hubby's work's Christmas party will be vintage Hollywood this year and I'm looking for the perfect glamour gown. I think I'll be sewing something for myself because those women back in the 30s were awfully tiny and its hard to find stuff to fit me.
Hi BonnieJean,
I just saw this thread, and noticed that you are looking for a glamour gown for your Christmas party. If you end up not making one, and want something that is quite glamorous go to http://www.vintagestyleclothing.com/catalog5a.html
this is just one of the pages on that site that has vintage glamour inspired gowns, and I found they have the best prices for them.
Also, this thread is really useful.
http://www.thefedoralounge.com/showthread.php?t=10205
Welcome to The Lounge, hope to see you around....

BonnieJean

Practically Family
Thanks, Daisy, you've certainly been very helpful. Yes, I found that dress site a few weeks ago. I just love their dresses. But I did find a pattern for a 30s evening dress that I really like. Right now its in the 'cutting out stage' on my kitchen table. Its a shimmery navy blue satin/crepe fabric. I've already bought some long black evening gloves. But I'm trying to decide whether to make a wrap out of the same fabric (because the dress is sleeveless) or in a black color or something else altogether. I've got about 2 weeks to get it sewed. I also want to sew another day dress, but I couldn't find any fabric that interested me, so I may just put that on hold--I still have several day dresses to bring along on my outing. Besides working, running the house and family and sewing and being here on the forum, I'm pretty busy!

Daisy Buchanan

BonnieJean said:
Thanks, Daisy, you've certainly been very helpful. Yes, I found that dress site a few weeks ago. I just love their dresses. But I did find a pattern for a 30s evening dress that I really like. Right now its in the 'cutting out stage' on my kitchen table. Its a shimmery navy blue satin/crepe fabric. I've already bought some long black evening gloves. But I'm trying to decide whether to make a wrap out of the same fabric (because the dress is sleeveless) or in a black color or something else altogether. I've got about 2 weeks to get it sewed. I also want to sew another day dress, but I couldn't find any fabric that interested me, so I may just put that on hold--I still have several day dresses to bring along on my outing. Besides working, running the house and family and sewing and being here on the forum, I'm pretty busy!
Wow, that fabric sounds beautiful. Pleas post pictures of it and the day dresses when they are completed. Evening gloves are always elegant, you could do both the gloves and the wrap. You'd be a fully decked out glamour girl.

BlancheDubois

Familiar Face
Daisy Buchanan said:
I thought it would be a nice idea to bring this thread back to life, for I have noticed a great influx of new ladies joining The Lounge.
I'm so sorry for not being able to remember all of your names, I have seen quite a lot of you, and didn't want to write a few names and risk leaving someone out.
So, to all of you new gals who have joined our group, Welcome!
Daisy

Daisy, thank you so much for the kind welcome. I do enjoy spending time here very much.
Blanche :)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HyakujuJoe