Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

New Ladies and Gents Step Forward

Kitty_Sheridan

Practically Family
Another new girl!

Hello all, I've been lurking for years and finally decided to say 'howdy'..

I'm 33 and live in the UK, mainly depicting women of the Home Front 1939-1945 and the Womens Services (WAAF, ATA etc)

Incidentally, Eleanor Marie, don't think there's nothing out there size wise...If you're handy with a needle try Simplicity pattern 4044, trousers, jacket and skirt up to a UK size 28!
I'm sure you'll look fab.....I was so pleased to see Immodesty Blaise on channel 4s 'Faking it' looking curvy and sexy!

Look forward to chatting to you all!
Kitty

Chanfan

A-List Customer
Greetings!

Greetings to the fine folk here.

I'm Mike, although my long-time 'nym is Chanfan - due to being, among other things, a Jackie Chan fan. I actually tried "Mike in Seattle", but discovered it was taken.

I stumbled across this site in a bit of googling, when looking for information on hats - how to evaluate, purchase, care for, etiquette, and so on. For no particular reason, I decided I wanted to start wearing them.

Having lurked a bit (and purchased a Stetson Chatham as my plunge into hats), I thought I should get around to introducing myself. This place has many interesting areas, tugging at my all-too-small amounts of free time.

Things that look interesting to me here include hats - I'm keeping an eye out for vintage now, to expand things. Suits - being a computer geek by trade, I've been more used to t-shirts and jeans, but am also looking to get into better dress. Oddly, perhaps, I have owned a few tuxedos, and enjoy dressing up quite a bit. The 30's-40'-50's are of interest - I love Gary Grant, William Powell, and such. I am neo-swing revival fan, a swing (music) fan, and tangentially related, was into the lounge/space age bachelor pad scene. WWII is also an interest, as my father was a participant.

Not directly related, other things I like include mixology, collecting barware, single malt scotch, computers and technology. I enjoy various music styles (Classical, 80's punk/wave, 2-Tone ska, and so on). I have assorted geeky interests (Sci-Fi/Fantasy, gaming, SCA). I'm interested in history and military history, especially medieval and Napoleonic. I recently took my first trip to London, and loved it.

Well, that's a start - see you on the boards!

BegintheBeguine

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Welcome, Chanfan! My number one pug is named Chan, from the movie Chan is Missing, which no one but me has seen, but he answers to Jackie Chan or even Charlie Chan. ;) Thumbs up from me to tuxedoes. mixology, barware, music and the rest. My dad was in WWII as well. See you soon.
Ashley

Barry

Practically Family
Molly O'Star said:
Hi All,

I'll take a moment to introduce myself. I've already looked around The Powder Room and now I'm working on getting the lay of the land on the rest of the site.

Molly,

It's nice to have another person from DC on board! Welcome!

Barry

Zemke Fan

Call Me a Cab
Greetings from me as well...

Mahinatakataka and Molly,

Let me echo Barry's welcome. We've got a decent group of lads and lassies here in the mid-Atlantic area. We haven't gotten together too frequently yet, but I think 2007 will be our year. The next event on the calendar is the big event in NYC in May, followed by the Reading WWII weekend on June 1-3.

As for Reading, this year we're going to be setting up a FL/Classic Style booth and probably sponsoring a dance contest for the Saturday night hanger dance. Although you might think this is just a reenactors weekend, there are TONS of people wandering around all weekend in vintage. More details to come soon.

Photos from 2006: Click Here

Oh, and Molly, are you with one of the big PR firms? I was with FH for several years.

Amelie

A-List Customer
Zemke Fan said:
Mahinatakataka and Molly,

Let me echo Barry's welcome. We've got a decent group of lads and lassies here in the mid-Atlantic area. We haven't gotten together too frequently yet, but I think 2007 will be our year. The next events on the calendar is the big event in NYC in May, followed by the Reading WWII weekend on June 2-4.

As for Reading, this year we're going to be setting up a FL/Classic Style booth and probably sponsoring a dance contest for the Saturday night hanger dance. Although you might think this is just a reenactors weekend, there are TONS of people wandering around all weekend in vintage. More details to come soon.

Photos from 2006: Click Here

Oh, and Molly, are you with one of the big PR firms? I was with FH for several years.

oooh a new york event in may! (understand an event in a place not far away, at a time when classes are over)

I must go to the event section! :eek:

Molly O'Star

New in Town
Barry said:
Molly,

It's nice to have another person from DC on board! Welcome!

Barry

Thanks! Yea for DC, especially now that it's non-smoking. As a former New Yorker, I love the non-smoking ... it makes me feel less guilty about wearing vintage pieces out and about.

SinatraStyle

A-List Customer
It's a small world, epr25!!!

epr25 said:
Hi there. I happened onto this site yesterday actually. ...We're always looking for cool small towns to visit! Nice to meet everyone.

Welcome to the Lounge, Erin. I though that your user name sounded familiar, so I looked at my eBay history...I purchased a fedora from you last year! In hindsight, I should have mentioned the Lounge and invited you to check it out, but didn't think of it at the time. I'm glad that you found the place.

Again, Welcome!

Barry

Practically Family
Molly O'Star said:
Thanks! Yea for DC, especially now that it's non-smoking. As a former New Yorker, I love the non-smoking ... it makes me feel less guilty about wearing vintage pieces out and about.

It's nice to go out and not come back with stale smelling clothes. At the same time, I like the fact that there are a couple of places I can go to enjoy a cigar every now and then too.

Barry

Daisy Buchanan

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Wow! So many new people, from all over the world!!

Well, thanks for telling us about yourselves.

Here's a very warm welcome to all of you, have a great time, and I look forward to reading more posts from you all.

Daisy

rcinlv

One of the Regulars
Okay, I'm not really new, but...

I still technically qualify (still a "New in Town").

Born in Chicago, but raised in Las Vegas since age one. Spent 4 years in Reno, and 4 in New Orleans (where I learned to love hats, and where my heart still resides). Both of my kids were born in New Orleans, but we moved back to Vegas when they were both very young.

I'm not so much a "vintage" guy as a classic style afficianado- todays culture lacks a certain amount of class, and despite political correctness, decorum. Can't quite wrap myself around todays trends toward the early sexualization of our youth, and the propensity to body mutilation (tats and piercings).

Guess I am pretty middle of the road. Hope I don't get run over!!!

Cheers,

RC

Cherry_Bombb

A-List Customer
Gosh Darn it!!

I'm not really new, but for some reason, when I tried to switch my email account a few months ago, I got kicked off!! Oh well.

This was my original introduction, months ago:

cherry_bomb said:
Hi, my name's Heathyr. I'm 23. I'm originally from Massachusetts but now call Philadelphia home. My dad "officially" got me interested in WW2. We'd sit home and watch old war movies and he'd pull out books of pinup girls. Then one day searching for apron patterns I came across the lounge. I wish I could dress like I want to every day- girdle, heels, seamed stockings and long full skirts, cardigans and little hats... but practicality is much better for my job. *sigh* oh well- one day!!

So, hello again!

Amy Jeanne

Call Me a Cab
Mahinatakataka said:
My "vintage/retro passion," is seeing old, grand theatres saved and used again. I visit the Cinematreasures.org site a lot and try to support and contribute to the rescue of Deco, Nouveau and other historic film houses. Once these treasures -- with all their murals, and friezes and craftmanship are gone -- they're gone, and so is a piece of history.

Me, too. There's a theatre 10 minutes from where I live in Pitman, NJ called the Broadway Theatre. It was built in 1926 and has remained virtually unchanged since then. It even has an ORIGINAL 1927 organ still inside; one of the last theatres on earth to still have it's original organ! And yes, the theatre is still in operation!! That's the good part.

There's also the Landis Theatre in Vineland, NJ, which is an Art Moderne delight and the outside has remaind unchanged since it's opening in 1937. The Landis has been closed since 1987, but they keep reviving plans to restore it. It's been added to the National Register of Historic Places so at least it has a bit of protection against the wrecking ball!

Photos I took this past summer:
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/0903/Amy_Van_doren/oldschoolamy/DSCF1891.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/0903/Amy_Van_doren/oldschoolamy/DSCF1892.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/0903/Amy_Van_doren/oldschoolamy/DSCF1893.jpg

Mahinatakataka

New in Town
Hey Amy Jeanne

Amy Jeanne said:
Me, too. There's a theatre 10 minutes from where I live in Pitman, NJ called the Broadway Theatre. It was built in 1926 and has remained virtually unchanged since then. It even has an ORIGINAL 1927 organ still inside; one of the last theatres on earth to still have it's original organ! And yes, the theatre is still in operation!! That's the good part.

There's also the Landis Theatre in Vineland, NJ, which is an Art Moderne delight and the outside has remaind unchanged since it's opening in 1937. The Landis has been closed since 1987, but they keep reviving plans to restore it. It's been added to the National Register of Historic Places so at least it has a bit of protection against the wrecking ball!

Photos I took this past summer:
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/0903/Amy_Van_doren/oldschoolamy/DSCF1891.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/0903/Amy_Van_doren/oldschoolamy/DSCF1892.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/0903/Amy_Van_doren/oldschoolamy/DSCF1893.jpg

Great shots!!!!!!!!!!! The Landis looks like a gem! I hope you have some good, committed folks working on this. And it opened in 1937? What a special year...

That's great about The Broadway in Pitman. Thanks for sharing the pictures. I need to get myself a good digital camera and start posting some pics here and maybe do a classic cinema threatres thread.

Thanks again! Cynthia

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HyakujuJoe