Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

New Indy Flick Poll

MAB1

Suspended
Sorry couldn't make it a poll... So just copy and paste, if you want. ;)

1. Yea, I'll go see it for the kids.

2. I can't wait to see it!

3. I refuse to buy into the hype. Boooo!

4. I'll wait till it's on TV.

I'm goin with number 4. :D

Colby Jack

Call Me a Cab
I lean towards #2...but I so despise going to the theater, that I may wait for it to come out on DVD. I just recently saw Iron Man, and before that...I don't even remember what I saw...but it's been over a year...maybe 2 since I've been to the movies....

The Wingnut

One Too Many
I was a combination of 3 and 4, but my boss offered to take me to see it and I didn't want to seem like a sourpuss...and nobody should turn down seeing a movie free.

I enjoyed it. It's worth seeing in the theater. There are bits I didn't like and parts I liked, it's definitely part of the series and there are some great sequences and one-liners. It's got a lot of character development you dont' see in the other movies, and the action is definitely edge-of-the-seat for the latter half of the movie.

I'll keep saying Ironman was better, though.:D

barrowjh

One Too Many
Caught the 7:00 show here in Maryville; wore my best IJ, a cinnamon brown Stetson Sovereign 2 1/2" mode edge (took it off during the movie, of course), drug the wife along. Got a lot of looks, but no comments.

The hat, and hats in general, play a prominent role. He wears a nice grey fedora at one point. In some scenes his hat is clean, in other scenes with heavy sweat stains, filthy looking. A reasonably good adventure flick, I liked it, and looked forward to going. Fully agree with Alan C - I was in the #2 category.

There were parts of it that so reminded me of one of the Nicholas Cage flicks where they find El Dorado in South Dakota (that movie sucked), so in that respect it seemed a bit of been there, done that. Overall, it was fun, and a fair addition to the IJ series. I would rate this one better than the 2nd one (monkey brains); didn't care for it.

Brad Bowers

I'll Lock Up
#2.

We saw it last night at the 11:59 p.m. show, and really enjoyed it. I think we were the oldest ones in the audience, as it was mostly teenagers, and folks in their early 20s. Indy obviously doesn't have a problem drawing a younger audience.

It was nice to see a few fedoras in the crowd, even if they were Dorfman Pacific hats.

Brad

WideBrimm

A-List Customer
3. I refuse to buy into the hype. Boooo!

Oh, I'll see the movie, though probably not right away. I did notice that on the TV interviews the last week or so, NO ONE, not even Harrison Ford was wearing a fedora :eek: So, inquiring minds want to know , does anyone besides Indy wear a fedora in the movie?

Jerekson

One Too Many
indycop said:
Alan or Barrowjh would you say it is ok for an 8 and 10 year old to see or too scary?

I know this wasn't directed at me, but I'd like to voice myself if that's alright...

I think this movie is way over the top for anyone under the age of 13. There's some scary natives (think King Kong, 2005), and the alien sequences were very creepy.
Not to mention the giant ants were pretty gruesome, and there's alot of skeletons and corpses.

It was a scary movie...

kiltie

Practically Family
There is plenty of room to be disappointed in this pic, but I've seen it twice already, and it IS a good movie. #2 after the fact, for me, as I'll see it again, I'm sure.

Dr Trinidad

One of the Regulars
I saw it last night at midnight and thought it was the worst of the 4. the villain was weak and the screen play needed a lot of work. Just my opinion

Prairie Dog

A-List Customer
Already saw it. Everyone is working overtime to entertain. There's a real nothing-but-desserts generosity to "Crystal Skull." It's not even remotely embarrassing as a comeback attempt. But every sequel to the nearly perfect "Raiders of the Lost Ark" is damaged in a different way. "Crystal Skull" is no exception. "Temple of Doom" had terrible dialogue and screechy sidekicks. "Last Crusade" had dull villains and a jokey lack of tension. "Crystal Skull" simply has too much of everything -- too many effects, too many characters, too long a middle, too many explanations and too many set pieces stretching too much credulity. Putting it another way: The movie's pretty good, occasionally very good. But I also kind of hope they don't make another one.

FATS88

One of the Regulars
2. I can't wait to see it!

Hello loungers,

I made plans last week to see the film with my
oldest friend, sometime this week.(so,#2 for me)
He loves to see potential blockbusters within the first
couple of days of the release,
I prefer to wait till they make it to the premium channels
that are part of my cable package.
I particularly liked the sets and costumes, on the
university campus, and it was great to see Karen Allen!
I love her on screen personality.

But the two of the most exciting things about the film
for me was that my custom Indy hats from Peters Bros.
arrived just before I went to see the film!!
Barrowjh, It didn't occur to me to wear mine to the film ,
you got guts!
It's to warm in Frisco for felt right now, if you can belive that.

Anyway, I recommend the film to all the loungers,
great tweeds and flannels, vintage autos etc.
and if you see it at a landmark theatre,
they will probably have the mega concession area
where you can get a strawberry milkshake,
that was the secondary excitement.

Cheers!
FATS88

Edward

Bartender
Gagging to see it in the cinema - going tomorrow. :)

I'm open minded about it. I like what I've seen of the trailers, and I've long been a fan of them setting it later and having ford play Indy as his own age, not pretending to be much younger. Whatever, I don't think it can destroy the brand for me (in the way that I lost all interest in Star Wars after Lucas started mucking with it and then those awful prequels). FWIW, I watched Temple on the TV the other night. It was the first IJ I saw, and I still enjoy it. Not as sharp as the others, no, but still vey enjoyable and IMO on target for what it was designed to be.

As to a fifth film.... I do think that one great comeback is enough: it is now time to retire Indy. At least, in this form - I'd be perfectly happy to see a new Young Indy TV show.... or maybe Shia La Bouef could be spunoff into a TV show where he becomes a paranormal investigator - shades of Dark Skies and X Files, but perhaps with an academic rather than a government operative as the lead. I'd be perfectly happy for them to do that. I don'r believe anyone else could credibly play the adult Indiana Jones, though - only Ford. This is not Batman, or Bond, or whoevder else that has successfully been portrayed by other actors. IJ is so much Ford is so much IJ that I really don't think it could work with another person.

Smithy

I'll Lock Up
Edward said:
Gagging to see it in the cinema - going tomorrow. :)
I don'r believe anyone else could credibly play the adult Indiana Jones, though - only Ford. This is not Batman, or Bond, or whoevder else that has successfully been portrayed by other actors. IJ is so much Ford is so much IJ that I really don't think it could work with another person.

I agree entirely with that Edward. Although sadly Hollywood does have a bit of a tendency to try and keep flogging a dead horse. Not that Indy is a dead horse yet but I'd be loathe to see them franchise it to the degree of Bond. As you say Ford is Indy as much as Indy is Ford.

Put me down for a 2, I'm looking forward to it.

barrowjh

One Too Many
I had posted earlier after seeing the movie, and after sleeping on it, I still think it was a good adventure flick. There are PLENTY of hats in the movie, without overdoing it, and hats play an important role - a shot of 'the hat' has become an announcement. Indy wears two fedoras, the brown and wears a dressy grey for a short while. I think I saw a panama, and most of the KGB goons were wearing fedoras that were appropriately looking a little too formal, fitting for goons.

The biggest downer for me is that the plot is a rerun of National Treasure (I think?), and as soon as I recognized that, it gets in the way of enjoyment, though I think the National Treasure series is just too mundane, this Indy does a MUCH better job with this idea. However, after many years of watching adventure flicks, most all of them are re-runs from a relatively small pool of original ideas. That's why Raiders was such a mega-hit - it WAS original, or at least, it was a plot that had not been used for quite a while, and it hit us as if it were original.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
billmacsworld