Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

New hats from the Fedora store

RBH

Bartender
A wool felt has its place...

.. and sometimes that place is on my head.
That said I have 4 vintage Stetsons and one AdventureBilt by Steve. I dont have a hat By Art yet but have a couple that he has cleaned and reblocked. I wear my hats, in the sun, rain whatever kind of weather, but I dont wear them doing certain type jobs around the ol' homestead. That where my favorite Country Gentleman Lite Felt comes in. It has been covered in sawdust, hay and straw and after a few slaps on my leg still looks pretty sporty on my head. Then when Im done working thats when I wear my AB or Open Road. So yeah, I think this is a perfect place to discuss even the dreaded wool felt.
After all it is the 'Fedora Lounge' not the 'Fur Felt Fedora Lounge'.

Zemke Fan

Call Me a Cab
Tony, Tony, Tony...

Tony in Tarzana said:
And calling it the Beaver Lounge might give visitors the wrong idea.
... you HAVE to start living by Colonel Z's FL posting rules:
  1. If you MUST post while consuming consumables, do so ONLY between Drink #2 and Drink#3.
  2. Don't post ANYTHING that you wouldn't want your MUM to read.
  3. Unless, of course, your mum's perpetually somewhere between Drink #4 and Drink #5.
:p

Clyde R.

One of the Regulars
Haven't dropped in at the Lounge in a while. Lo and behold I check into this little ol' thread and the furs really flying...

Jake Sullivan

One of the Regulars
I have learned quite a lot from this thread. Let's see....hmmm... Clevispin hates wool, (and anything that is contrary to his particular opinion) and for the most part other loungers and vendors simply defend the fedora in general, whether wool or felt.

Most retailers represented in this forum, seem to try to provide customer service by providing options for those of us that are new to the hat world and are simply trying to find our own style.

In summary I still enjoy the information presented in this lounge from hat wearers and vendors alike....and for Clevispin....you make me laugh I can picture you typing feverishly late at night by the glow of the computer screen with sweat pouring to the floor, external jugulars extended, bloodshot eyes, shrieking at the screen...AGGGGGHHHHHH NO MORE WOOL FEDORA'S, EVILS IS AMONGST US, HIDE THE WOMEN AND CHILDREN THE EVIL HORDE OF WOOL WEARERS ARE AT THE GATE, AND FOR PITY SAKE GUARD THE PURE LINE OF FUR FELT WE SHALL NEVER GO QUIETLY, THE FUR WILL BE PROTECTED TO THE DEATH, THE WOOLS ARE AT THE DOOR..AGGGHHHH
(run from room screaming hands waving in the air)

It's not an air raid, some of us think wool is okay, it is still a fedora.

WEEGEE

Practically Family
Matty told Hatty about a thing she saw

Sam The Sham And The Pharaohs

WOOLY BULLY (Domingo Samudio)

Uno, dos, one, two, tres, quatro
Matty told Hatty about a thing she saw.
Had two big horns and a wooly jaw.
Wooly bully, wooly bully.
Wooly bully, wooly bully, wooly bully.
Hatty told Matty, "Let's don't take no chance.
Let's not be L-seven, come and learn to dance."
Wooly bully, wooly bully
Matty told Hatty, "That's the thing to do.
Get you someone really to pull the wool with you."
Wooly bully, wooly bully.

thefedorastore

A-List Customer
MK said:
Everybody gets to have an opinion. We all have our pet peeves. Let's respect his.

The man "has" formally apologized twice here in public in this gentleman's forum. I think that is appropriate humility, enough for the name calling. "Pin", I have accepted your humility and moved on.

WEEGEE

Practically Family
No name calling intended

Until calling up the lyrics did'nt remember the Hatty reference.

You gentelmen did well.

An excellent group in the Lounge....hats off to you... wool or other!!!

ortega76

Practically Family
thefedorastore said:
you might be pleased to know that we also will be carrying Stetson and Dobbs. As we continue to grow, we can continue to offer higher-end hats.
Duane

I'm checking out the Stetson selection right now. I thin it's a good representation of felt types, fedoras vs cowboy and color. Very competitive pricing. For my usage and abusage, I have a hard time justifying an Optimo on anything other than a special occasion (birthday present). Besides, I'm in the middle of some tattoo projects that are my primary way of relieving myself of excess cash. Maybe when I finish a half-sleeve and my ribs, I'll shop exclusively Optimo, Art Fawcett's and the like. Until then, Stetsons and Biltmores (and the occasional wool felt) do me just fine. I can't wait to check out the Dobbs.

thefedorastore

A-List Customer
clevispin said:
Mr. Store,

Just saw your Falcon montage - Brilliant!!!

Cheers. m

Thank you sir. I find it was all very amusing, and I was fortunate to have the time to ponder each retort, and even delete some that were too rich for my blood. Until next time!

Duane

Jake Sullivan

One of the Regulars
Fur felt on the way for a friend

I have rrecently purchased a fur felt stetson for a friend of mine. I still only own wools for myself. I am curios to compare the two. I think my first fur will probaly be a bowler, since I have fedora's and a panama plus an outback, but no bowlers as of yet.

cheers

Prairie Shade

A-List Customer
Wool Dew Rags Anyone?

Actually, I believe its wool thats flying! I purchased a Pendleton Wool Fedora Type hat several years ago because I thought that it would be something to wear if it was raining. Now, if it would rain when Im going somewhere, I'll give you a report. Its not a BAD hat, not a particularly good one either, but it was worth the 40.00 I paid Pendleton. It was my 40.00 bucks, its sits on the hat rack with my favorites, but it is not one of my favorites.

Young fogey

One of the Regulars
The fedora learning curve

Interesting old thread.

I got a wool Capas early on before I knew better. I learned pretty fast. It didn't shrink, fade or run; it just didn't look quite right. But I still have it. I ironed the crown in front (which I wouldn't do of course to a good hat) so it looks cool; a decent sturdy backup/foul-weather hat. Got five fedoras now, from my first, a vintage Christys' for two bucks at a house sale that happens to be my size but I think has shrunk over 50+ years, to a bobo straw for only 18 bucks (got for the best reason: it looks right on me), my go-to summer hat, to that blue-grey wool one, to another inexpensive bobo brown one from Hats in the Belfry (showing a bit of wear as I use it a lot but I hope it lasts) to the Dobbs in my profile pic (best-looking and goes with everything – the look I was trying for all along). I'll probably get a black one and be done.

bowlerman

I'll Lock Up
I have rrecently purchased a fur felt stetson for a friend of mine. I still only own wools for myself. I am curios to compare the two. I think my first fur will probaly be a bowler, since I have fedora's and a panama plus an outback, but no bowlers as of yet.

cheers

This thread is too funny! While I can appreciate a fur felt, I own a handful of wools. In fact one of my absolute favorite hats (and incidentally my first one made to order) is a wool felt "Bat Masterson" bowler from Knudsen Hats. It's sturdy western weight wool, impeccably formed, and challenges all my furs.

I'm pretty sure this is the Fedora Lounge, and not the "Fur Felt Snobbery" Lounge. Of course I probably don't belong here since my tastes generally favor Westerns and Derbies-- wait there are several threads here for these too! Whaddya know!? A fellow has the right to feel good about whatever hat he likes.

Thank you sir. I find it was all very amusing, and I was fortunate to have the time to ponder each retort, and even delete some that were too rich for my blood. Until next time!

Duane

To Duane-- I've been to Custer, and treasure the fur fedora and soft wool derby I bought from you, not to mention your exemplary customer service and manner. We just gotta get you shipping inside SD so I don't have to drive 7 hours every time I want a hat from you!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HyakujuJoe