Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

New hats from the Fedora store

Siirous

One of the Regulars
Every hat has it's place, as with opinions.

Fur felt in general has a nicer feel and finish. It's kind of like the $15.99 walmart straws versus a Montecristi. They're both straw? They're both woven? But there's an obvious difference in material quality and craftsmanship. Good fur is extremely soft and supple. It also holds a shape better. In the hands of a craftsman (Optimo, Art and others) the results are astonishing to behold.

Wool, while useable does not have the lifespan of fur. The feel of the material is rough to the touch. I've heard comments on the lounge of wool felt shrinking in the rain, and also the colors running.

While we're at this be careful of any fedora that lists sizes as S, M and Large. Any hat worth while is at the very least fitted to size (i.e. 7 x/y). The best are custom conformed to your head. Also beware any "fedora" that does not have a leather sweat band, but a cloth machined sweat. This is common on hats that have the S, M and Large type sizing.

If you do not own a vintage or custom beaver fedora then treat yourself and compare it to the wool, then you'll understand.

However, like I said every hat has it's place. If you do not own any lids other than a ballcap and don't want to pay the rising prices on the ebay these days, or can't afford a good custom; then buy a wool hat and at least get something on your head to show the world what cool is :p

Rob

P.S. -- PLEASE do not wear a "fedora" with the shape of the crown sewn in and not blocked in. I don't feel I have to say more about that :eusa_doh:

WEEGEE

Practically Family
Not a .............

Jake Sullivan
like my wool hats, and my straws, and my opinion is what counts to me. I still haven't heard an intelligent reason why wool's are.. how was it?...crap crap crap.

NOT about C.

Wool just do not carry.

clevispin

One of the Regulars
A wool fedora is junk. You buy them at souvenier stands in amusement parks. They shrink in the rain, pill, smell awful, fall apart and scream "CHEAP". The people that hawk them as tho they were legitimate headgear are the same types that sell undercoating and 23% financing at car lots. The relativist sycophants chiming in with the "oh well you know everyones entitled to their opinion and I'm to pooooor to buy a fur hat etc." need to grow a set of balls. If Mr. Store was so dedicated to quality then he would not sell the crap that is roundly acclaimed as crap on this forum. Instead he lurks these halls posing as some kind of afficianado while pimping his goods.

Forgive my outrage, but this stuff does not belong here in this place.

P.S. Since I'm on a roll - This Camptown Hat guy - Why is his product such a mystery to me? Where is the catalog of product? Are digital photos that hard to produce? Same goes for that German fellow doing the Adventurbilts - always bitching about his (poor) picture quality. At his prices he ought to be able to afford a 3 megpix $200 camera and share the wonders with us. God bless Art & Steve.

That is all.

m

m

Aaron Hats

Vendor
clevispin said:
The people that hawk them as tho they were legitimate headgear are the same types that sell undercoating and 23% financing at car lots.

I take offense to this as I'm sure most legitimate hat store owners do.

I said this in March '05:

Having mass produced hats is vital to the hat industry as a whole as a way of introducing people to hats. I don't think anybody would argue that a custom made beaver compares to a mass produced fur from Stetson or DP but consider this. A lot of people have only ever worn a baseball cap and don't even know their hat size in a small, medium or 7, 7 1/8, etc. For them to seriously consider something besides a ballcap is the first vital step in creating a true hat wearer. Now that person will never go from wearing a ballcap to wearing a $300+ hat. It just won't happen. But they will consider a $50-75 hat. Some people won't even start that high. As I'm working with that customer I'm also educating them about the differences in the hats they're interested in. Whether it's a teenager or a 40 something and they buy their first real hat it's a wonderful thing. They'll enjoy that hat and once they start getting compliments about it they'll be back in a hat store and looking at hats that are a little more expensive until one day they're going for that beaver. Just like every creature has a place in the food chain, every hat has a place in the hat chain.

I was speaking of mass produced hats and that certainly includes wool fedoras. If you don't like wool, that's fine. I can understand that. But to compare me and other hat store owners to sleezy used car salesmen is ridiculous. I have talked with other store owners and we're all hard working family people just making a living like everyone else.

I don't know about you but my first car wasn't a Mercedes and my first gun wasn't a custom engraved Colt. No matter the product very few of us buy the best of the best as our first entry into that field.

Blast away.

RedPop4

One Too Many
Being a ball cap wearer as well, I find the cloth sweatband to be a bit more comfortable than a slightly stiff leather. But, hey, that's just me, I like what's comoftable on me as opposed to what others tell me I should like.

Same with cigars, I'd hate to think that my friends smoke dog rockets when I can give them better stuff, but in the end, it comes down to personal likes and dislikes. Some don't wish to spend $100+ on a box of cigars while they have kids to educate and bills to pay, bundle cigars may fit their personality and situation at the present time. Like what you smoke and smoke what you like.

Like what you wear and wear what you like.

Fedora

Vendor
I personally hate wool felt, but with that said, I have seen one vintage wool hat that was amazing in the feel and look. Ok, I feel projectiles coming my way!! Now, I know absolutely nothing about wool felt, and the differences that can exist within that line, other than what I have personally held in hand. I have seen one wool felt hat that would have fooled all but the very learned on felt content. Perhaps it was a blend of wool and fur, I dunno. But, it was a keeper!! Fedora

Feraud

Bartender
What a bunch of elitist fairies we sound like sometimes! lol
Putting our noses in the air when we smell the wool. I am happy to see someone choose fedora of any material over the ubiquitous baseball cap. When the time is right, or by not scaring a person off the Lounge by acting like high school children, a person will decide to get a better quality hat. All this silly peer pressure to get a "quality" hat is sad. :rolleyes:

One should try to lead by example, not be sounding like an a##hole.
minor rant over ;)

thefedorastore

A-List Customer
clevispin said:
A wool fedora is junk. You buy them at souvenier stands in amusement parks. They shrink in the rain, pill, smell awful, fall apart and scream "CHEAP". The people that hawk them as tho they were legitimate headgear are the same types that sell undercoating and 23% financing at car lots. The relativist sycophants chiming in with the "oh well you know everyones entitled to their opinion and I'm to pooooor to buy a fur hat etc." need to grow a set of balls. If Mr. Store was so dedicated to quality then he would not sell the crap that is roundly acclaimed as crap on this forum. Instead he lurks these halls posing as some kind of afficianado while pimping his goods.

Forgive my outrage, but this stuff does not belong here in this place.

P.S. Since I'm on a roll - This Camptown Hat guy - Why is his product such a mystery to me? Where is the catalog of product? Are digital photos that hard to produce? Same goes for that German fellow doing the Adventurbilts - always bitching about his (poor) picture quality. At his prices he ought to be able to afford a 3 megpix $200 camera and share the wonders with us. God bless Art & Steve.

That is all.

m

m

M, best to let you have the last word. However, I don't know why you wish to harm my name here, as I have done nothing to you. You should have your own forum, where you could control it all and kick people off that you disagree with. If you really wish to harm me, or other retailers, please use the forum to tell us why we don't deserve a chance to exist here in such an obvious place. I have no further public remarks on your behavior as I do not want to share in the slandor, but I will be happy to continue to be a sounding board via telephone if you find the need, and I will PAY for the call. 1-866-4FEDORA.

I will not be ashamed to sell a wool hat, or a $30 Panama hat. The key is to offer choices and options, but make a sale. Besides, in the time that I spend bantering online in this thread, I must have sold a dozen wool hats. Sure glad I have them.

Brad Bowers

I'll Lock Up
Fedora said:
I personally hate wool felt, but with that said, I have seen one vintage wool hat that was amazing in the feel and look.

I was surprised to see a wool felt fedora in Montgomery Wards' 1937 catalog. It sold for $0.98, compared to $3.85 for their top end, "completely hand-made" models. So, there was a place for wool hats even back then.

Brad

besdor

Vendor/Sponsor
As for wool hats ,in todays market , they are a huge percentage of what is sold . With them , Bollman Hat Co would be out of business as would Dorfman Pacific which is the largest jobber of hats today . Even Stetson is pushing them because of price points . So unless you want to see the hat business shrink even more , you have to accept wool hats for what they are , just another part of the market!
P.S I dont like selling them but they do ring the register .:D

Steven
www.bencrafthats.com

johnnycanuck

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I never buy expensive until I know I am going to get good use out of that product. That is why my first real hat was wool. It did shrink in the rain, but the colour never ran and it never lost its shape. If it was not for cheep wool hats I would have never have pursued the fedora. I would have just gone with cowboy hats that are readily available in my area. Furthermore wool felt can be good quality. I have one wool Scouting hat made by Smithbilt hats in Calgary. If you have ever tried to keep the shape of a scout hat you know what an uphill battle it can be. But threw rain, snow and sun it has never tapered, lost its shape or shrunk. But very few people have that quality of wool felt nowadays. Also they are a costume hat maker, not mass production, which could be the difference.
http://www.smithbilthats.com/
Everyone has an opinion based on there own personal experiences. This is mine.
Johnny

MK

Founder
Staff member
Bartender
Well said Steven and fedorastore

I for one...want so the hat market grow. Guys buying their first lid aren't going to shell out $200+. After they buy it, they look on the net, find us then become enlightened to the quality of hats, then but a better fedora.

If all they had were prices beyond their price range, they wouldn't get in the game.

My first fedora was from Miller. I thought I was insane for spending $80 for a hat. Now I feel really lucky to find a hat for a hundred. Most of my hats cost me $150-450. We need to make it easy for the new guy to get started....and it sounds like wool is an option for that market.

clevispin

One of the Regulars
Hat sellers - Perhaps I got a little too worked up and I apologize if I have given offense. Sell anything you like. The open marketplace is one thing that makes this country a great place.

But the Fedora Lounge is not the open market. There are expectations here for the lauding of things that rise above the least common denominator. Arguements by profitteers in support of stuff that does not clear the bar are crass.

There is a place for moneylending - but not on the steps of the temple.

m

Pilgrim

One Too Many
It's important to remember that there are customers at many price points. A retailer, Internet or otherwise, who fails to serve enough price strata is likely to fail.

Wool hats are serviceable enough, and they provide style at an economical price. I have no problem at all with a retailer who sells a product that is exactly as it's represented - which is what the FedoraStore does. Their hats are honestly represented, and Duane knows more about the composition and history of his products than many retailers do.

Those of us in this forum have highly specialized interests in hats. If Ebay didn't exist, how many of us would pop for $300 a hat to serve this interest? I darn sure would not. Therefore, I'm not about to criticize a retailer who sells honest products at honest prices to those who are not compelled to buy what we consider superior products. We are NOT the market, we are a tiny specialized part of it. Duane needs to sell to other market segments to make a living.

My opinion: if you want the budget hat, buy it. If not, don't sneer either at the man who sells it or the man who buys what he can afford.

thefedorastore

A-List Customer
comic01.jpg

"WE must eliminate all of the wool hat wearers immediately."

comic02.jpg

"I wonder if anyone knows I belong to the communist party.
Hey, they might know I wear a wool fedora too!"

comic03.jpg

"So, you've got the "balls" to wear a wool felt in my town?"
"Rough him up guys"

comic04.jpg

"Honest to God man, I will never wear a wool felt 'round here again!"

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HyakujuJoe