Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

New Guy Needs Advice

BayouBeard

New in Town

Here is another picture for comparison with a cheap Belfry Bogart. It's a center dent 4" crown with a 2 1/4" brim. Although I think the brim is curved much more on this one....I actually prefer it (talking about brim width) Maybe that's just me not being comfortable with a wider brim.

Last edited:

BayouBeard

New in Town
Ok...so after much thought and scrutiny...I believe that I'm convinced you all are spot on about the brim width. I looked over the comparison pictures and asked several family members their opinions as well. The only answer I ever got...here and there...was that the Chatham with the 2 3/8" brim was the way to go. Thanks again for everyone's help...it is much appreciated.

BayouBeard

New in Town

A friend of mine brought in one of his Stetson 2" brims to let me try on. What do you guys think compared to the 2 3/8" brim Caribou in the first pictures?

tommyK

One Too Many
You seem determined to go with the smaller brims despite the advice given here. Again, I think you should go bigger more 2 1/2 brim-wise.

BayouBeard

New in Town
You seem determined to go with the smaller brims despite the advice given here. Again, I think you should go bigger more 2 1/2 brim-wise.

Not necessarily determined to go with a smaller brim, just determined to get the right hat. I figured posting a picture with a smaller brim for comparison would help in the decision making process. I do, however, greatly appreciate all the feedback.

Last edited:
Your beard elongates your face, so more crown is needed to have symmetry above the eyes with what is below.
For me, brim width is based on your frame, like shoulder width. You can go with the smaller brims but I think the 2 3/8 is your size.
You'll find as your hat wearing increases, your brim width with widen. Lots of evidence in the Lounge about that happening...

Last edited:

viclip

Practically Family
I've harped on this before but for the information of new members I'd like to reiterate that a minimum 3" brim is recommended for sun protection. Also to remind all that the US Surgeon General's office recently declared that skin cancer had attained epidemic proportions.

Personally although I'm hardly a hypochondriac let alone terribly health conscious, most of my recent acquisitions have brim widths of at least 3". Wide brim hats seem to look good on me although I was hesitant at first, plus they're sure good at keeping rain drops & snowflakes off of my eyeglasses!

The brim looks fine. Go with it if it speaks to you.
I tend to favor stingier brim hats (2" or less) most of the time, whether I'm sporting a beard or not.

Bob Roberts

I'll Lock Up
Nice funky old what appears to be leather hat in earlier pictures. Wear that. And wear anything else YOU really like. Different hats for different moods and styles of dress. Stop agonizing and just enjoy your hats!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HyakujuJoe