Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

New Guy Needs Advice

BayouBeard

New in Town
Hello all...new to the forum and to fedoras. I've always been intrigued with the style of the hat, but never thought I could pull it off properly. I decided to venture out to a local hat store and try on my first real fedora. I immediately fell for the Stetson Chatham on the rack, so gave it a shot. I need some good expert advice on whether or not I'm doing the hat justice and wearing it instead of the hat wearing me.

BayouBeard

New in Town
Thanks everyone. I was worried about crown height and brim width. I definitely don't want to go any higher with the crown, but I was wondering if a narrower brim would suit me better. I went to the store after scouring the Internet having my mind made up that I was going to order a Stetson Saxon. It has a 2" brim whereas the above Chatham has a 2 3/8" brim.

tommyK

One Too Many
The hat looks great and you look great in it. Don't go any smaller, that big beard needs a big hat to counter it. If anything I'd go bigger, not smaller.

It may take a little time seeing yourself in it to get used to it. After a couple of months wearing a fedora you'll feel something is missing without it.

Big Man

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I would agree that the brim looks good, a little wider would also look good. That's a sharp hat, and you wear it well.

I think it looks good on you. My advice would be to buy this hat and then look to add another in a 2" brim you can wear with it snapped up for a sportier look. Then you have a choice of hats to wear depending on the situation and your mood. I think that is one of the fun things of owning numerous hats.....I get to pick the one that fits the situation the best.

H Weinstein

One of the Regulars
One more vote for wider rather than narrower brim. Just an opinion, of course, but I think the wider brim has more panache.

Maybe the narrower fedora brims remind me too much of the "Mad Men" mid-late-1960s era, when fedoras were on their way out and brims got smaller and smaller.

I think this one looks great on you!

BayouBeard

New in Town
Thanks for the replies everyone. I don't know why, but I keep going back to the Saxon. I love the 60s Mad Men look with the shorter brim. Unfortunately there was no Saxon to try on to make the comparison. Is it a consensus that the shorter brim would not look as good?

Bushman

I'll Lock Up
I honestly love the Chatham, it's one of my favorite hats. I think it looks good on ya. Although, I agree, a wider brim would look really good too, I think.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HyakujuJoe