Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

New Eastman HLB A2 Review

aswatland

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I was so impressed with Gary's HLB A2 that I took the plunge at Legends on 11th July. He had two size 44 jackets available and I chose the one with the most grain. This is the first plain A2 that ELC have released since the iconic 1933 Werber and it surpassed my expectations!

The original contract (37-3891-P) dates to 3rd March 1937 and only 375 were made. Gary has an original in his collection which was used to pattern his reproductions. The jacket has some unique features. The leading left edge of the waistband is jetted with a strip of leather. It is the only contract to be fitted with the Kwik no. 8 pin-lock zipper.

The same Italian horse hide is used on this jacket as is used for the revamped 1933 Werber. It is buttery with plenty of grain. The label is a perfect copy of the original and quite different from any other A2 labels. The bevelled corners of the pockets had not been used on previous contracts and reappeared in 1942 on Bronco and Sheeplined A2s.

The collar hook is sewn in by hand, with the male part set back and secured beneath the lining. The repro Kwik zip works flawlessly. The knits are tight and better than some of the earlier ones used by Eastman. All in all its a complete accurate copy of this rare contract.

It is a very comfortable jacket with plenty of room in the chest and shoulders. Here are some photos taken this morning.

Last edited:

aswatland

Thanks Craig. I'm delighted with this A2 which I have been waiting for Gary to make as a plain Jane for several years now.

jback

Familiar Face
That is a nice jacket!

You didn't happen to handle one of their new batch of Devon fleece Irvins at the show? If you did, how does it compare to the one you reviewed some time ago here?

Jonathan

aswatland

Yes, I did. The ones I saw were not of the quality of the earlier one I own. The skin was thinner and the fleece too silky!

Dumb&dumber

Familiar Face
Hi Andrew,
GW also made a HLB A-2 some times ago. Different zip, different metalware, other label.
Any comparison?
Thx.
Great stuff!

Stand By

One Too Many
Beautiful - and great photos for us all to see. Thanks!
It's a great fit - and I really like that label too! There's nothing not to like about that jacket. It looks fantastic.
I'm very envious of you being at RAF Duxford - alas, I can't make it this year … it's always such a treat to go and it always seems a bit wrong to be inside the ELC tent with the sound of rare vintage aircraft outside and roaring overhead … but … one simply can't be in two places at once and ... all that leather. All the gear. All those jackets in one place at one time and on hangars asking to be tried on. It's like being a kid in a candy store all over again! I've been stuck in there a couple of times when torrential downpours have happened and it's been a very happy guilt-free hour!

Worf

I'll Lock Up
Hey man... that's one beautiful jacket. I can easily fit an Eastman size 48 now but I've all the A2's I need at the moment. Still yours looks mighty tasty and you provide great reviews as always... Thanks man...

Worf

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HyakujuJoe