Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

New Custom Fedora

northseastar

New in Town
Hi there - I have been perusing (not quite the correct usage of that word) this "Lounge" for a few weeks, gleaning information on various things of interest to me, and generally enjoying the knowledge and enthusiasm shared of fine quality things.

I decided to post a little story here of my recent hat purchase. I have long been somewhat perplexed at the decline of hat wearing in this culture, and that it never seems to come back into widespread fashion; especially given the undeniable protection hats offer from solar radiation and cold. Hats are also among the coolest looking things you can adorn yourself with, in my opinion.

Of course, I'm not referring here to the homogenious looking baseball cap especially ubiquitous among younger men. You see, I decided a while back that the protection of a hat had become critical for me (having already had an instance of basal cell on my forehead), and felt that at 31, I was a bit mature for a baseball cap. I had worn Ivy type caps from time to time in the past, and kinda felt like anything fancier (i.e. a fedora) would be a bit too weirdly conspicuous for my personal taste. More recently, however, I decided that there is nothing wrong with a traditional hat, and lots of things right, and, I am old enough to be a little bolder in my look.

Being quite an enthusiast of quality, and especially of the 'old world' calibre, I became excited about procuring a fine beaver felt fedora, custom fit to feel and look superlative. Now, I'll admit here that I am impatient once I get my mind set on getting something. Even given the lack in polularity of hats, I found it rather strange that my 'googling' came up with so few possibilities for custom hatters (and especially in my home state of New York - with its hat history!). I finally came across and decided on a Master Hatter by the name of Gary White. I should mention, that I actually tried Dave Brown Hats first, going so far as to fill out his online information form, and call him when that went without response for several days. I had a pleasant enough conversation with Mr. Brown, and expressed my strong interest in buying a hat in a particular style from him. He told me that someone would call within a couple of weeks to work out the order, and I never heard from him again. I even emailed him again to remind him of my interest in doing business with him, but, who knows what happened there. Anyway, I called Mr. White, proprietor of The Cutom Hatter in Buffalo, NY, and was very encouraged by his warmth and seeming professionalism. My interest peaked, I did something that perhaps only a few who are similarly nutty about certain things would do - I drove twelve and a half hours from my home in Poughkeepsie, NY to Buffalo and back, in one day in July, through a driving rainstorm, to be properly fitted for a good felt fedora. I feel to this day that the trip was truly worthwhile. Meeting Mr. White was a real pleasure... his cordiality was really extraordinary, and he was incredibly generous in explaining his craft and product, and showing his tools and process. I estimate I had his undivided attention for nearly two hours, and he expressed great appreciation for my having made the effort to come to his shop.

Admittedly, I had no, and still have comparatively little knowledge of and experience with traditional hats (though I have been looking through a book of interviews with former hatters that Mr. White gifted me with). I received my hat, well packaged in its own special box, about seven weeks after my visit, and am still getting acquainted with it. It is a charcoal grey fedora, with about a 1.25 inch brim and a charcoal grey gro grain. As I am small of stature, Mr. White aptly estimated a shorter crown and small brim. The hat fits quite well - among the measurments taken in the shop was a 'mapping' of the irregularities particular to my head, done with a truly vintage tool - and the quality of construction seems very nice to me.

So, in conclusion to this overly-long statement, I just wanted to relate my positive experience with a rare sort of businessman, and would certainly be interested to hear any feedback from others...

besdor

Vendor/Sponsor
Northseastar ,you did good by going to see Gary . He is one of the last of the masters in this business . Gary makes a lot of hats for the movie industry . He dosen't rip off his customers like some of the other custom makers do. I had heard that he may move one day to NYC . It would be good as there hasn't been a custom hat maker in the big apple for 20 years .

DanielJones

I'll Lock Up
Welcome to the Lounge Northseastar! Now, it is customary to show off ones procurements with pictures. Sounds like a great hat N. Would love to see it in action.

Cheers!

Dan

northseastar

New in Town
Thanks for the welcomes and remarks! And thanks to MK for sharing the website. Unfortunately I do not have a digital camera at present, but will try to get a picture or two posted at some point. Cheerio -

Pat in Buffalo

New in Town
I'll second noreaster's endorsement

I own a Gary White fedore (the "moonshiner" model) in charcoal and plan on getting a second one in to match a camel hair cashmere overcoat I recently bought.

I am a fan for life, which is how long Gary guarantees his work.

Plus, as I've said elsewhere on this board, if there's a nicer man in the world that Gary White, I have yet to meet him.

Apparently, he's considering moving the shop out to Las Vegas to get away from the winters here and to be closer to LA where he does a lot of production work.

Matt Deckard

Man of Action
I have owned 1 Garyu white hat and mine at first looked like a pretty good hat, though I wasn't too pleased with the sweatband which was stiff leather that got stiffer over time and the felt which shrunk very quickly and formed a hole at the front of the crown within a year. I hope his goods are much better now. The hat I purchased was 6 years ago and I still have it, though it no longer fits.

That is just my experience.

Please post pics,

Welcome to the Lounge.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rand S