Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

New budget M-65 Field Jacket?

Peacoat

Bartender

coolhandluke_7

New in Town
Those are hard to find, and that one looks new.

Yes they are. This one was deadstock mint when I originally purchased it 10+ years ago. It's been handwashed once with Woolite and cold water and hang dried while I've owned it. Only worn a couple times. I think it would be difficult to find a nicer example. Unfortunately, it's just too small for me nowadays.

I know the OP has already vetoed an original jacket, but I've had great luck finding surplus USGI field jackets in nice, wearable condition. Typically one wash is all it takes to get them clean and smelling great. There's honestly no way that I would ever purchase a repro M-65 unless I was looking for a commercial version where the pattern had been altered to a more modern (or smaller) fit.

Last edited:

Aloysius

My Mail is Forwarded Here
@MrProper

How could I forget this point!!
What about the ominous water-repellence of M65? Could the Helikon resist a drizzle of maybe 30 minutes?
I don't know about the polyblend versions (although I expect there's a similar solution) but Nikwax Cotton Proof does the trick for my cotton field jackets.

MrProper

I'll Lock Up
@MrProper

What about the ominous water-repellence of M65? Could the Helikon resist a drizzle of maybe 30 minutes?
Unfortunately, no idea (yet). I haven't been able to try it out yet. But I have to say that I usually avoid walking for 30 minutes in the drizzle without an umbrella.
The fabric is 50% cotton, 50% nylon. I think it will work for a certain amount of time, but it's probably not a rain jacket. You can probably waterproof the fabric though.

mumpy

A-List Customer
@MrProper

I have been caught in the rain multiple times with the Helikon and didn’t soak through (unlike an original I have). It might be treated with something, not sure.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jbain75