Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

New Aero Sea Biscuit half-belt

technovox

One Too Many
...or Technovox.
His speedway style jacket looks great!

Thanks. That's one of my favorite jacket collars- that interpretation of the Speedway turned out quite nicely. But, to be honest, it was a variation on the original Speedway, and the collar is not quite as wide or deep.

Sloan1874

I'll Lock Up
Tried on a tweaked version of the Sea Biscuit today. It's a size up from my usual, but I thought it looks mighty fine:

upload_2015-12-3_1-14-21.png

pauleway

Practically Family
Just watched that movie the other night. Great flic with some nice leather and wool jackets. Aero did a nice job re-creating that jacket!

Edward

Bartender
Did it make it to the line yet? I can't seem to find it on the website. Namechange (because trademark), maybe?

Sloan1874

I'll Lock Up
They've been refining the design, adjusting the cuff straps and breast pocket, but if you were to ask for it, I'm sure they'd make one for you. I tried on one during a previous trip, it looked very cool, I'm a fan.

Fanch

I'll Lock Up
Craig, are the patterns based on the premier line, 1830's, or something else? Amazing what Aero has accomplished since the "New Regime" returned!

Sloan1874

I'll Lock Up
I think it's based on a modified Premier HB, Richard. It is great to see new designs being worked and refined - the two-tone D-pocket from last week was a stonker.

Benproof

A-List Customer
It's always a pleasure to see revivals of old designs. What stands out for me - the cuffs are a splendid touch on the jacket, not seen commonly on most!

But that's about it :( The image looks like the waistline of the jacket kind of just "hangs". Some spare space, rather oddly for a short jacket. Then those bat ear collars look like they're about to take off in flight.

As for multi-panelled backs of jackets....apart from being cheaper and easier, it dons a very complicated look to the rear...which is very common with fashion jackets from shopping mall brands...but from Aero? I've no idea how anyone can reconcile the flow from the front and back of the jacket from the side profile.

No fit; no flow from the simpler plain design of the front to the complicated rear. What might save the bat wing collar, is an extra studding so that the collar can stand up vertical and double up as a neck tube for a different look as well as the flat pressed look. The assymmetry of the slanting chest pocket is rather irritating - wouldn't be so bad if it was a horizontal pocket zip look, but diagonalising it makes it look off balance.

I'll shut up now :)

Sloan1874

I'll Lock Up
It's an accurate repro of the original one worn by Toby McGuire in Seabiscuit, made with the help of Rick at Film Jackets.
Regarding the back, as has been discussed elsewhere on the Lounge, multi-panel jacket backs were a regular feature of the 30s because producers had to eke out their expensive leather supplies during the Depression, rather than being redolent of any modern 'mall jacket'
Secondly, I'm a hard-and-fast size 36, the jacket I tried on was a 38, so it's only natural that it's going to hang on me.

Edward

Bartender
They've been refining the design, adjusting the cuff straps and breast pocket, but if you were to ask for it, I'm sure they'd make one for you. I tried on one during a previous trip, it looked very cool, I'm a fan.

Yeah, I'm really keen on the Premier hb, but if it's too svelte a cut for me, a slightly adapted Seabiscuit might be the answer. Really love that collar....

Edward

Bartender
It's always a pleasure to see revivals of old designs. What stands out for me - the cuffs are a splendid touch on the jacket, not seen commonly on most!

But that's about it :( The image looks like the waistline of the jacket kind of just "hangs". Some spare space, rather oddly for a short jacket. Then those bat ear collars look like they're about to take off in flight.

As for multi-panelled backs of jackets....apart from being cheaper and easier, it dons a very complicated look to the rear...which is very common with fashion jackets from shopping mall brands...but from Aero? I've no idea how anyone can reconcile the flow from the front and back of the jacket from the side profile.

No fit; no flow from the simpler plain design of the front to the complicated rear. What might save the bat wing collar, is an extra studding so that the collar can stand up vertical and double up as a neck tube for a different look as well as the flat pressed look. The assymmetry of the slanting chest pocket is rather irritating - wouldn't be so bad if it was a horizontal pocket zip look, but diagonalising it makes it look off balance.

I'll shut up now :)

You mean you don't like any of the period accurate features to the design? A modern jacket might be more your bag. ;) Seriously, though, that's the beauty of Aero having a wide range of halfbelts in their standard line. Not hard to find the one that appeals to you.

Last edited:

willyto

One Too Many
I love the collar. I also like it that the sewn on halfbelt is placed rather low(an issue which has been discussed here very recently I believe?)

The set-up of the three back panels irritates me though, even though I cannot clearly say why. I just feel they have done better looking HB backs with this three panel feature before, e.g. the Original Hercules. This is a matter of personal taste ofcourse and the differences are probably intentional to offer more options and styles to us customers, which I value and understand. Still, not my cup of tea.

Also, I wish they could syntonize the seam of the yoke and the sleeves. And in before, all this is meant solely meant to be honest helpful and constructive feedback. I love my Aero jacket, I will buy again and I hold the Calder family, especially Holly, in high regard.

In this particular case the movie jacket is just like this. The seam of the yoke and the sleeves don't syntonize:

nQlq7wV.jpg

P0WPFiU.jpg

I knew there was a thread about this jacket but couldn't find it. I'm very interested in this jacket and after seeing some updates from months ago on Aero Leather's Instagram after watching the movie again few weeks ago my interest came back.

q6uEWlD.jpg

keGLrqa.jpg

RqDEXlf.jpg

C5UPiDo.jpg

Then we have the other amazing jacket:

vETXLlt.jpg

uZEFKny.jpg

And this wool and leather:

xANH2OT.jpg

RJR

In this particular case the movie jacket is just like this. The seam of the yoke and the sleeves don't syntonize:

nQlq7wV.jpg

P0WPFiU.jpg

I knew there was a thread about this jacket but couldn't find it. I'm very interested in this jacket and after seeing some updates from months ago on Aero Leather's Instagram after watching the movie again few weeks ago my interest came back.

q6uEWlD.jpg

keGLrqa.jpg

RqDEXlf.jpg

C5UPiDo.jpg

Then we have the other amazing jacket:

vETXLlt.jpg

uZEFKny.jpg

And this wool and leather:

xANH2OT.jpg
Nice!

pauleway

Practically Family
Great movie, some really nice jackets in this movie, and if you do want the T.McGuire jacket, Aero is making one for you, how sweet is that!!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
billmacsworld