Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

New Aero Pioneer in Kudu

Cooperson

One Too Many
Couldn't believe it when I spotted this Kudu Pioneer lurking in the Aero sale section. Sale jackets aren't usually for me, because I prefer a slighly longer body length than standard. This one just happened to be my size 40", my sleeve length and in a slightly longer length - pretty much made to measure really. Although I wasn't in the market for another leather jacket yet, I'd always liked the look of the Pioneer pattern and Kudu did look an interesting alternatve to my horsehide jackets. Needless to say I jumped on it - well it would have been rude not to :D

The Kudu hide is quite striking, having a beautiful rich brown color. The grain is pebbly, a bit like goat, but with the odd scar and mark to give it some character. Although the jacket has some real heft to it, it's soft, with some stretch in the hide. This combined with the vertical pleat in the back, makes it easily the most comfortable jacket I own by far. It came without storm cuffs, which would have been in my spec anyway and the antique brass Talon zip is a nice touch. All in all, a good buy I think.

Now the best bit. Wait time: from order to delivery 2 days!

AeroPioneerfreshoutthebox_zpsbada3c5f.jpg

AerPioneerTalonzip_zpse6c4c1cb.jpg

AeroPioneergrain_zps346ec8c3.jpg

AeroPioneerfulllengthfront_zps3eb168c9.jpg

AeroPioneerfulllengthback_zps823217bc.jpg

Edward

Bartender
Shouldn't think so if his location tag is correct ("Midlands, UK"). Or do you mean something other than VAT/Import tax?

Looks great. I have my eye on one of these in a black hide of some sort (alas the kudu is only available in brown), but I'd eventually like something else in this hide, if Aero firm up a steady supply.

Shouldn't think so if his location tag is correct ("Midlands, UK"). Or do you mean something other than VAT/Import tax? Looks great. I have my eye on one of these in a black hide of some sort (alas the kudu is only available in brown), but I'd eventually like something else in this hide, if Aero firm up a steady supply.
Edward, I use the "lightweight" forum view - I don't see any of that stuff. Sorry, guess he just pays VAT :)

Cooperson

One Too Many
Thanks guys. I live in Staffordshire so just the VAT and £12.50 postage to pay. The Kudu is quite thick, heavy but very soft with a bit of stretch in it. The back length is 27 1/2", so probably a couple of inches longer than a standard 40" halfbelt.

Last edited:
Great fit Cooperson!
For me...Aero's new Pioneer is the better of their new designs. Love the single inverted pleat and yoke that compliments the HalfBelt design without looking too busy. This simplicity allows the hide to still show more charactoristics as it ages and breaks in. Style without overwhelming fashion stitching that some far eastern makers tend to enjoy adding. Very nice!
HD

Thanks guys. I live in Staffordshire so just the VAT and £12.50 postage to pay. The Kudu is quite thick, heavy but very soft with a bit of stretch in it. The back length is 27 1/2", so probably a couple of inches longer than a standard 40" halfbelt.
It looks like some deer hide I've had - thick, but soft. Very very nice!

Fanch

I'll Lock Up
That is a helluva sharp looking jacket and not a single thing negative that could be said, including the appearance or fit. Home run with bases loaded!!

jack miranda

A-List Customer
Nice! The texture of the kudu hide is amazing. Great pattern, great

fit. It may have been on sale, but, it sure looks like they had you in mind when they made it. I'm with Hoosier: the back pattern is sweet. Great score, and thanks for the pics.

schitzo

Suspended
Good decision on posting the pics Cooperson that one sure is tasty! I can see that you're tall, but do you mind if I ask how tall please?

All the best
Schitz

Last edited:

Worf

I'll Lock Up
I always thought that was a pretty "Plain Jane" design... yawn. Until I saw it on you! It looks absolutely stunning. Aero should really think on using "live mannequins" to show off their designs and not all toothpicks either. I think doing so would revive interest in some "loss leaders" and goose up the website.

Worf

Plumbline

One Too Many
That's AMAZING leather .. the sample I got back last year was much less grained and more like oilpull horse .... that looks much closer to buffalo. Very, very nice ..... and GREAT jacket.

Cooperson

One Too Many
Many thanks Gentlemen for the positive comments. The Kudu is indeed thick, quite heavy but very soft - a complete contrast to my horsehide jackets but in a strange way a pleasant change. Took it for it's first outing tonight to my local pub and can confirm it is a very comfortable jacket to wear - reaching forward for a pint was no effort at all :)

Regards my height, I am 5' 11" but have quite a long upper body so a standard half belt tends to look a little short on me.

Sloan1874

I'll Lock Up
Great fit Cooperson!
For me...Aero's new Pioneer is the better of their new designs. Love the single inverted pleat and yoke that compliments the HalfBelt design without looking too busy. This simplicity allows the hide to still show more charactoristics as it ages and breaks in. Style without overwhelming fashion stitching that some far eastern makers tend to enjoy adding. Very nice!
HD

+1

Fanch

I'll Lock Up
I think that we were all blown away by how good that jacket really looks when worn, much more so than the pictures on Aero's website. I really think that I prefer the way this one drapes, as well as the front and back lengths, over the 30's and 50's HB's.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HyakujuJoe