Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Need Recommendations on a Goat Cafe Racer / Slim Fit Jacket. Overwhelmed!

mrrosenthal

New in Town
Hi,
I like this style.
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Pristine-...D&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2557

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Pristine-Vtg-60s-LESCO-Leathers-Brown-Motorcycle-Biker-Jacket-CAFE-RACER-Medium-/300956929052?clk_rvr_id=531357387705&nma=true&si=aRpXTKRrllxsWwAd0Dw1tC0HCe4%253D&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2557

I'm looking for a cafe racer that I can wear to a bar, or walk around town. I'm in my late 20's and 5'11 170 lbs. It should be form fitting and drapes in at the midsection like in the picture. I also like the 30's HB from aero because it fits slim and there are a lot of positive reviews.

I prefer goat because I've read its more pliable and has a slim fitting drape compared to equally durable HH or Steerhide. I'm not a rider and I'll only wear it in the spring and fall. Its too cold(winter) /hot(summer) to wear it otherwise. Unfortunately I don't know about my preference for grain because I only know mall leather jackets. I could be convinced otherwise however.

Note, I live in Shanghai most of the year so I would have it shipped here, or possibly Chicago.

Can you recommend some options and some guidance on a goat slim fitting jacket? There seem to be too many companies and styles for me to start.

-slim fitting with drape at midsection
-goat
-durable
-walk around town and going to a bar with jeans a nice shirt / t shirt
-i'm a working professional. Clean and simple is good.
-no layering underneath is necessary
-only for spring / fall
-under 1000 dollars

Thanks

pak

One of the Regulars
I also had these requirements for a go to summer jacket. I got a n-200(cafe racer style) from Johnson Leather, in goat. I had the sleeves lined in satin and cotton twill for the rest. The jacket normally comes in an insulated lining for riding. I worked with Allen and he was always personable and helpful. He sent me samples and offered to send a sizing jacket. They will make it any way you like.

Seb Lucas

I'll Lock Up
I had a custom goat cafe racer N-200 made by Johnson Leather too. It's light and drapes well. It should do the job. Or you can get a Schott 660 slim fit cafe racer in their lighter cowhide (2.5oz) - they come in black and brown. I tend to wear this one more often. It drapes great and is very well made.

mrrosenthal

New in Town
I had a custom goat cafe racer N-200 made by Johnson Leather too. It's light and drapes well. It should do the job. Or you can get a Schott 660 slim fit cafe racer in their lighter cowhide (2.5oz) - they come in black and brown. I tend to wear this one more often. It drapes great and is very well made.

Which one do you like better, the schott or the n-200. which quality is better?

Edward

Bartender
Aero do a really nice cafe racer if that's what you're after, and they use fantastic goat in either seal or russet brown. It's cut to be a slim jacket, certainly. Aero I'm sure will sell to Shanghai directly, though if you're thinking of buying from Chicago, shipping from Insurrection will definitely be cheaper. They're very keen on bike jackets being form-fitting, so they could advise you on that.

For what it may be worth, I'm a professional academic myself, and I often wear a leather jacket to the office in Autumn and Spring - those days when it's too cold for a blazer alone, but still too warm for a blazer-plus-overcoat. My Aero Thirties Halfbelt and the Bootlegger have both often been worn to the office with a collar and tie, and work just as well as with selvedge and RedWings. That said, both those designs might be a touch more detailed than what you're looking for if you are especially keen on the plain lines of the Cafe Racer. For a classy, plain jacket I'd have considered a Highwayman, but while not exactly baggy, the Highwayman isn't hat I'd call form-fitting. Years ago I had a black (cow) cafe racer that I bought used, specifically for wearing to the office (Perfecto styles tending to be a bit much for work - more to the point, I dreaded anyone in the office thinking I was trying to make a statement of "rebellion". I can play Joey Ramone on my own time.). I later decided the style wasn't really for me, but it did serve admirably as a classy, plain jacket for wearing to work.

One of the Aeros will definitely hit the top end of your budget (albeit worth it!) gonig new, but you might also keep an eye out for something coming in on the used market. You don't see so many of their cafe racer model in the wild, but still worth keeping an eye out.

Johnson Leathers I have never worked with directly, but I do have a D-pocket bike jacket made by them, and I am extremely pleased with it. If my jacket is typical of their quality, I would certainly highly recommend them. Not especially expensive, either, and as a bonus people here who have worked with them on custom projects seem to have had uniformly positive experiences.

Given the simplicity and enduring popularity of the cafe racer style in the mainstream, I'd also have recommended a number of mid-market companies like Schott, but you don't tend to see much in the way of goat coming from them.

Seb Lucas

I'll Lock Up
Which one do you like better, the schott or the n-200. which quality is better?

They are about the same quality wise. If I'd bought the Schott first I wouldn't have bothered with a custom job as the Schott ticks all boxes. The N200 required a lot of modes before I was happy. The Schott was pretty right as it came. Great hide, spot on stitching, good pattern and nice lining. But if you're into to choosing every option yourself and you want things exactly a certain way then custom is your best bet. I'm not that fussy. I've written before - I had an Aero half-belt - it stayed in the cupboard. I wore the Schott; more comfortable, more useful, lighter weight leather, better pattern.

cafeblitz

New in Town
+ 1 on Johnson Leathers. Alan is a great guy to work with and Johnson makes a superb product.

If you can forgo goat, another option may be Vanson. Though I have no experience with it, their medium weight firenze leather may suit your purposes. I have one of their competition weight cafe racers and it fits like a glove - simply an awesome jacket. I wear it all the time, more off the bike than on even. That said, it is built like a tank and likely heavier than what you are looking for.

Also, there was a post a few pages back in the Insurrection thread about a tumbled brown HH Sonoma that looked phenomenal. Otherwise, I've fondled a few Schotts (phrasing?) and they seem to be solid jackets as well, if not maybe a tad expensive for mass-produced pieces.

Seb Lucas

I'll Lock Up
Best advice, be sure of your measurements. Shoulder width, back lengths sleeves. Pick a jacket that fits and base it from there. Or a friend's jacket. Whatever. If you are sure about measurements your custom job will be fine. If not: Disaster.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HyakujuJoe