Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Need help picking out dress for a WWII dance

Miss 1929

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I think the second one is not only more period appropriate, but you will get a lot more use out of it, as it could go daytime with gloves and a hat, or evening without a hat.
The first one might be a little too sexy too, the second one is more ladylike while still being curvy and cute.

ThesFlishThngs

One Too Many
Being no expert at all, whatsoever, I'll just say my instant instinct was for the second dress. To me it has a much more immediate retro vibe, whereas the first one could easily wander the decades, even up to the 80s.

ThesFlishThngs

One Too Many
Funny you should ask that, Lady Day; I just asked my husband's opinion (as we sit here watching "Miracle in the Rain", a set-in-the-40s romanto-drama) and he said no to both dresses. A more adamant no to number one, but number two didn't convince him either.

Miss 1929

I though they were both a little on the costumey side. What about a vintage dress? And what did hubby hate? If we can get an idea of what you're after, we can all shop online vicariously for you.

kymeratale

One of the Regulars
Swing and swish!

If you will be dancing, why not go for a fuller skirt rather than a pencil/wiggle skirt? The super full circle skirts are more 50s, but you can do a swing-style skirt for a 40s event. Then, when you twirl and swish, the skirt will twirl and swish with you.

Here is an idea of a classic 40s swing type dress. Nothing special, just the first one that popped up in my bookmarks.

http://www.dancingdaughters.com/line_evelyn.html

Lady Day

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
A gored skirt with a bit of flare that hits at the knee, perhaps something with a sweetheart neckline, and wedge shoes would be an iconic 40s dance look. The pic posted above is text book from the era.

You gotta remember this WWII dance would have people directly effected with rationing and 'make due and mend' would be tops on their list of rules to follow. Id bet a lot of the dresses (not gowns) worn by the gals would have been refashioned. Try for something a little less Hollywood, and a little more home front.

LD

Since You Went Away has a good dance scene in it for inspiration.

sinceyouwentaway1_2.jpg

since_you_went_away2.jpg

Paisley

I'll Lock Up
Lady Day said:
Try for something a little less Hollywood, and a little more home front.

LD

Indeed. The dresses, especially the first one, make me think of dime-a-dance places, and I'm sure that's not what you're going for.

On a practical note, I see that both dresses are dry-clean-only polyester. Since one tends to perspire at a dance, washable cotton is better. :)

The Evelyn dress posted by kymeratale fits the bill.

Miss_Bella_Hell

I'd agree with the other ladies' suggestions to nix the Stop Staring dresses. They're too expensive anyway, and not period correct. The unfortunately named site Trashy Diva has some things that could work - if you are sold on repro (otherwise, check out etsy and ebay!).
ASHLEYDRESShurricane1.JPG
BETTYDRESSbluedots1.JPG
ANNABELLEDRESS1.JPG
ashleyEMPIRE1.JPG

Inky

One Too Many
I agree with the ladies - those two dresses wouldn't be right for your needs.

Do you sew and/or have time to sew something? There are vintage patterns available or you could try this cute appropriate dress that is not too difficult to make if you sew:

http://www.sensibility.com/pattern/main/?page_id=45

or something from ReVamp Vintage would work.

Give us more size/color details and I know a few of us love to internet window shop!

23SkidooWithYou

Practically Family
I'm a newbie, so I can't really offer you any technical advice. I will say Dress No. 1 isn't my personal style, so it didn't send me. Dress No. 2 is cute and I love navy. As others have said, my concern is the fit. If a cute GI asks you to dance, you won't be able to swing much. ;) Don't forget the purpose of girls at a dance was to give the boys a fun night of dancing before they shipped out.

As a newbie, I find it helpful to remember the circumstances of the time period. There was a war on, resources were limited, goods weren't being imported in droves because Europe was a little busy and State-side efforts were focused on war goods, not so much fabric, trimmings, dresses, etc. The motto was "make do and mend". With that in mind, the dance dresses a regular gal might have had may not have been highly stylized as we might think of a modern "event" dress. They couldn't even get proper stockings many a times.

One of the things that strikes me about girls dressing up in the 40's for USO dances is that the dresses were so modest, almost innocent and girl-like and simple...but then you'd see great earrings and fab gloves and high heels and seamed stockings to complete the look.

If you are still open to looking, DO give us the details. I cannot stop looking online for items and it would be fun to do the shopping but have somebody else footing the bill, lol.

I love this one that Miss Bella Hell posted!

ashleyEMPIRE1.JPG

AirborneSally

New in Town
Thanks for all your advice. The only reason I liked dress number one is I'm really into the whole hollywood thing, being on stage singing, wearing over the top dresses. This event has a little of everything, there are girls wearing over-the-top, LONG, all silk dresses with dimond necklaces, then there are even Female Dress Uniforms, Pencil skirts and a nice top, and more home front dresses.
I didnt wanna go all glam but I didn't want to wear a very home front type dress, I wanted to stand out and look dressier. The first year I went to this dance I wore a skirt and top, then I wore a more relaxed black and red, home front style dress, this year I really wanna be have a hollywood look.
My friend liked the 2nd dress, I do to but its is a little to modern day pinup looking. I have looked on Unique Vintage, stop stairing and daddyos. I don't have enough time to make a dress so I need to buy one.
I'm VERY tall with the very classic 40's body style...curvey! I'm build like a brunette Monroe lol.

I think I will look for a more flowing skirt, I do have lots of the pincil skirts and dresses so it would be different to branch out. I just can't find anything thats really what I'm looking for...its either all to 50s or not hollywood enough for me.

haha can you tell I'm a very picky person?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HyakujuJoe