Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Navy Shoes?

epr25

Practically Family
Hi there. I am sure this has been covered but I can not seem to find it anywhere. We are getting married in about 2 weeks. I am now on hot pursuit for a pair of navy wingtips or dress shoes that appear to be classicly styled. My fiance is wearing a navy pinstriped double breasted suit. White shirt and silk tie. Now we can not find navy shoes or a blue fedora. He has a ton of hats. He wants to wear one of the widder brimmed hats. Do you guys think grey is ok? And in the event we can't find shoes what's acceptable? I guess our wedding is going to draw some media attention (we are getting married in the Christmas Story House I have a thread about it in the powder room) but I would like to a good reprsentation of the vintage communtiy in all ways. Any help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

Riposte3

One of the Regulars
Finding new wingtips in anything but black seems to be next to impossible. I had to special order a pair because I wanted them in cordovan instead of black. (I'm _still_ waiting for them to come in, too! :rage: ) Navy may not be possible without special ordering or going bespoke, as it's a very unusual color for men's dress shoes.

As an alternative, black shoes are generally accepted with a navy suit, and cordovan can usually work also. I would definitely do a test run with cordovan, though. Whether or not it works can sometimes depend on the _exact_ shade of navy in the suit, and pinstripes can make a big difference as well.

-Jake

epr25

Practically Family
Thanks. I had no idea that navy would be so difficult. I figured that would be a staple like black. Weird. Thanks I'll keep my eye out but I am not getting my hopes up. Special ordering is out of our price range I'm sure.

epr25

Practically Family
Ok I am not sure how well this is going to work but I went to the cobbler today and they have shoe dyeing available. They said that it would be no problem to dye black shoes navy blue as long as they are leather. Weird right? I will let everyone know how this works out.

MagistrateChris

One of the Regulars
I've never had a problem getting wingtips in cordovan, and am wearing a pair of Florsheims as I write this. I actually prefer that with a navy suit, as I have matching belts. I got mine in a store, a Floursheim shop at an outlet mall.

Orgetorix

Call Me a Cab
Navy is not a traditional color for men's shoes. Black, brown, and burgundy/cordovan/oxblood are the classic staples. Black is the most formal, and has long been worn with navy and midnight blue suits for very dressy events. Old illustrations from men's apparel magazines are full of this combination, and I'd recommend it over trying to find or make navy shoes. The oft-cited "rule" about not wearing black with navy is a women's thing, and has never really been followed in menswear.

brown3pcoxnercopybc0.jpg
champagnebluedbcopymx4.jpg
diagonalbluecopysw5-1.jpg
wedding8dm-1.jpg

Also, you might think about a simple captoe or punch-cap style, rather than the less formal wingtip.

blackcapsqs8.jpg
egberkeley888black1np9.jpg

These styles can be had relatively inexpensively from makers like Bostonian or Johnston & Murphy, though if you can possibly afford it I'd recommend going for the Park Avenue model from Allen-Edmonds. AEs will look better and last much longer than cheaper shoes.

Orgetorix

Call Me a Cab
One other thing: the shoe-dying project may or may not work, depending on what kind of leather the shoes are made of. If they are corrected-grain leather, which is what is used in most shoes under about $300 or so these days, they will have a plasticky finish that will prevent the dye being absorbed into the leather.

Edward

Bartender
The only men's navy shoes I've ever seen are informal, slip-on loafers and leather sneakers... Men's shoes seem traditionally to have been based more around the concept of one man owning maybe two pairs of shoes to go with everything, as opposed to women's fashion which places more emphasis on matching shoes to the rest of an outfit. I've still managed to amass pushing thirty pairs of shoes for myself, though. :rolleyes:

I would respectfully agree with Mr. Orgetorix's suggestion that you look into some black capped Oxfords. Alternatively, a capped boot might be a nice option, and is, I believe, also period correct.

With regards to the hat, it seems that a navy blue fedora is a very rare beast these days. I'd lean in favour of a pale grey with a navy suit - I've always found that a very sharp combination. One of our younger members on this site - I believe if the old memory is holding up he goes by the nom de web of Metropod(?) - is pictured on the Men of the Lounge thread in a forties cut navy striped db suit with a high-crowned, light grey fedora and looks fantastic. The other option which I think would be an equally good choice would be a grey homberg.

Undertow

My Mail is Forwarded Here
And here I thought you meant United States NAVY shoes...

I support the previous comments by Edward and Orgetorix.

Shoes: Not only is it a hassle to dye a pair of black wingtips, but I believe it will lend a hokey costume look to the ensemble. I think black captoes would be an excellent, formal match to a navy or navy pinstripe suit.

Hat: Stray from matching the hat to the suit unless it simply looks superb. Light gray with a black ribbon would be fine. I suppose you could get away with a navy hat and gray ribbon, just as long as there is some juxtaposition. And I don't know how the other guys on here feel about brim width but I would stick with a shorter brim, anything under 2 3/4"; maybe 2 1/4" - 2 1/2".

I really don't mean to offend your tastes but I shudder at the thought of a zoot-like Navy fedora with navy ribbon, navy suit and dyed navy shoes. It begs the question why not select a navy shirt with navy tie, navy socks, navy suspenders, navy watch and navy cufflinks?

dhermann1

I'll Lock Up
I thought you meant "Nautical Service" for a moment as well. I agree with all the above who recommend black cap toe shoes, and maybe a grey fedora, or if you want to get spiffy, a grey homburg. Yes, definitely a grey homburg.
And does the groom have time to grow a nice little skinny mustache?

Undertow

My Mail is Forwarded Here
dhermann1 said:
I thought you meant "Nautical Service" for a moment as well. I agree with all the above who recommend black cap toe shoes, and maybe a grey fedora, or if you want to get spiffy, a grey homburg. Yes, definitely a grey homburg.
And does the groom have time to grow a nice little skinny mustache?

Oooo, grey homburg! Good idea. I always like an excuse to wear my homburg and a grey one, for a wedding, with that suit set up...makes me drool. :)

epr25

Practically Family
Ok i have to admit that I apparently have gone overboard. My fiance has told me. I am a girl there for I match everything. Shoes, hat, gloves, purse. So we are not doing the dyed shoes thing. I think he thought I was a little off when I suggested it. He's going black shoes and a light grey fedora. I think it has a grey ribbon? white shirt and some tie. He put it on and it looks great. So my appologies for the navy shoe thing. My idea not his.

Tomasso

Incurably Addicted
epr25 said:
So my appologies for the navy shoe thing.
No need to apologise. All the best shoemakers offer shoes in navy, both calf and suede, albeit at the custom/MTO level. I've been contemplating a pair of navy suede wingtips for some time. Though I probably wouldn't wear them with a navy suit.

Edward

Bartender
Tomasso said:
No need to apologise. All the best shoemakers offer shoes in navy, both calf and suede, albeit at the custom/MTO level. I've been contemplating a pair of navy suede wingtips for some time. Though I probably wouldn't wear them with a navy suit.

Just hope nobody steps on 'em. lol

I'm assuming, though, you're not a John Wayne fan? ;)

Martinis at 8

Practically Family
I had a nice pair of Navy blue dress slip-ons, early 80's. They were of the Moreschi brand made of a very soft calfskin. I purchased them at the Bally store in Zurich on Banhofstrasse. Very nice shoes, and I have never seen any other men's shoes in that color since.

M8

Jovan

Suspended
Tomasso said:
We need to find a picture of Style Forum member Get Smart's navy shoes. They look fantastic with what he wears.

volatile

A-List Customer
stacy21964bbg.jpg

I have a pair of these Stacey Adams (from ZootSuitStore.com) in red for a very silly and ostentatious burlesque outfit. Not that I'm recommending your beau pair these with his wedding suit, of course, but I just wanted to point out that wingtips beyond black and brown are available. They're certainly not "period correct", but they can look pretty cool if you're bold enough.

Edward

Bartender
volatile said:
stacy21964bbg.jpg

I have a pair of these Stacey Adams (from ZootSuitStore.com) in red for a very silly and ostentatious burlesque outfit. Not that I'm recommending your beau pair these with his wedding suit, of course, but I just wanted to point out that wingtips beyond black and brown are available. They're certainly not "period correct", but they can look pretty cool if you're bold enough.

:eek:fftopic:

You've not been to the CandyBox, have you? Look familiar in the avatar...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HyakujuJoe