Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Name the Actor...

LizzieMaine

Bartender
Here's another silent siren seen a few years after her prime, in her first talkie, an outlandish musical drama that helped drive the studio that made it into bankruptcy and led to years of litigation filed by the indignant star, who claimed the company's incompetence ruined her career.

Mae_Murray._The_still_number_is_TS-15-79-270x344.jpg

Be that as it may, any picture where the star plays both the toreador and the bull has to have something going for it. Ole!

HadleyH1

One Too Many
Here's another silent siren seen a few years after her prime, in her first talkie, an outlandish musical drama that helped drive the studio that made it into bankruptcy and led to years of litigation filed by the indignant star, who claimed the company's incompetence ruined her career.

Mae_Murray._The_still_number_is_TS-15-79-270x344.jpg

Be that as it may, any picture where the star plays both the toreador and the bull has to have something going for it. Ole!

Lizzie is not telling us who she is...Lizzie....is she Mae West or not?:D

LizzieMaine

Bartender
View attachment 122741
Mae Murray and Edmund Lowe in the Robert Z. Leonard's silent film Peacock Alley (1922).

That was the one remade as a talkie in 1930, and Murray's career never recovered from it. Her husband -- a fake Russian prince -- ended up embezzling all her money and she lived much of her later life in the grip of poverty and mental illness. She finally ended up in the Motion Picture Country Home -- an institution she had, forty years earlier, helped to build. A very sad story about a real-life Norma Desmond.

HanauMan

Practically Family
It is Maria out of Metropolis. Her name was Brigette Helm.

Moving on many decades, who is this lovely lady? Bonus point if you can name the film.

Hint: her film character is similar to that of Robert Walker in Strangers on a Train.

62501.jpg

Last edited:

HanauMan

Practically Family
Carol Lynley "Once you Kiss a Stranger," I'm strong in the "cute androgynous blonde women for $100" category.

Correct. I first saw this movie when I was about 15 or 16 (about a decade after it first came out) and I was totally in love!

As to being androgynous, she made Playboy in 1965 and I can tell you that she was all woman! ;)

Correct. I first saw this movie when I was about 15 or 16 (about a decade after it first came out) and I was totally in love!

As to being androgynous, she made Playboy in 1965 and I can tell you that she was all woman! ;)

I use androgynous in an expansive and not anti-feminine way. In the picture you posted, she has an androgynous look to my eye - simple, limp, straight, kinda short hair, light-touch makeup and no va-va-voom obvious (you could see her in a newsboy cap trying to pass as a teenage boy in '30s era movie). I'm not making any sweeping statements about her beyond this photo.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
billmacsworld