Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

My trade bait pile of hats!

I was much gladdened by your PM, Mark! Thank you!
And, besides, you have convinced me. You are right, and I was wrong.
As I said, I feel satisfied with my collection now, and I am much less hungry. If I buy a hat that is not my size, I will not alter it again. I will wait to trade it, or I will keep it as is.
So there! Peace?

Sent from my LG-H870 using Tapatalk
Yes....
PM sent;)

Just Daniel

One Too Many
I really enjoyed reading all the opinions on the thread (even the angry ones), they really pushed some points I had not thought of enough. I always learn a lot from the discussions, and I hope the trade bank gets back up and running and I hope everyone keeps writing nice compliments for everyone else's hats!

Great points, Justin. I think you're right on target, but I'll add a caveat - sometimes it just depends.

Remember that old No1 Stetson with case, a 6 3/4? Making it fit up to a 7 1/4 would certainly have changed the whole look; as a counterpoint I had an early 1900s bowler expanded to fit and it looks like an early 1900s bowler - with no real loss to brim or proportion.

It does take time and patience to find the right hats, and it would be sad to make significant changes to a Stetson Special Twenty or 1920s Stetsonian, but smaller changes to get a hat out in the world are perfectly acceptable in my book.

All the best,
Dan

I appreciate the conversation my postings first-half created.

But the bigger issue here, which I addressed in the second half, is the destruction of vintage hats which is bothering the OP to the point of wanting to leave permanently. The destruction which is being so heavily supported every time it occurs, it fuels the fire and it happens again and again.

I completely understand why OP is extremely bothered by it, as myself and I know other collectors and vintage lovers are too.

I said it once. i'll say it again. Hunting for a grail hat is all good and well, but when you find one, have it pulled apart and blocked up 3 or 4 sizes, it is NO LONGER the hat you were seeking. It's a custom hat using vintage felt. That's it, regardless of keeping the sweatband or liner in it. it no longer is a whippet, flagship, game bird, 100, etc, as the blocking and flange that gave that hat it's name is removed completely.

Ever hat I've seen with this method ends up looking the same. No vintage look at all. I have tried saying to just go the custom route because at the end of the day they are hats, yes. But destroying things that others seek for days/weeks/years (especially ones that are NOT being produced anymore and carry hat history), just to say you have another hat to your hat group is ridiculous.

One more time, you don't have a hat you've hunted for, you have a custom hat wearing another hats name. That hat is only named after a vintage model by the felt it is made from. that's it.

Sent from my SM-G935P using Tapatalk

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dickiedust