Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

my Stetson Pony Express conversion

Fedora Jay

Familiar Face
I couldn't find any pics of it before I rebashed it, but here's what the end results are. I removed a leather thong from the band, flattened the back of the teardrop and creased the back corners tightly, deepened the side dents, put a tighter pinch on the front, and curled the back sides up (I couldn't get the back to curl up like I wanted, so thats the best I could get).

jayhats-1.jpg

jayhats-2.jpg

jayhats-3.jpg

jayhats-4.jpg

jaesonhats-7.jpg

And here's my Pendleton oilskin

jayhats-5.jpg

jayhats-6.jpg

It may just be me, but the Stetson still feels kind of western-ish to me. What does everyone think? Any suggestions on what else I could do if it is still giving a western vibe?

J.T.Marcus

Call Me a Cab
To escape the western look, two things may be necessary: (1) A brim cut (to about 2 5/8") and (2) a new hatband (grosgrain ribbon, instead of leather). If that's too extreme, take heart. It's a good looking hat, as it is. :)

OddSteve

Familiar Face
To be honest, in my opinion the Pendleton with the taller crown and less taper suits you much better.
The Stetson, especially with that wide brim, has something like a 'wizard hat' to me :rolleyes:

Just my two cents though ;)

Fedora Jay

Familiar Face
Thanks for the input! I agree that the Pendleton looks better on me; we kinda figured out that the taper on the Stetson wasn't quite right, maybe I can play with it a bit and take some of it out. I used to think the brim was also too wide, but I've gotten used to it, and really like it now. I think if I can get rid of the taper, I'll be much happier.

J.T.Marcus

Call Me a Cab
Fedora Jay said:
... I think if I can get rid of the taper, I'll be much happier.

A quick way to reduce taper is to re-do the side dents so that they don't go quite so far back. You may be able to do it dry, or it may take steam or water. :)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HyakujuJoe