Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

my recent find: a WWII model 1917 helmet

green papaya

One Too Many
M1917A1.jpg

1917.jpg

I recently aquired this nice early WWII model 1917A1 helmet

this is the same helmet they wore during the attack on Pearl Harbor
Dec 7, 1941

also used in the Philippines, Wake Island, etc

the USMC was still using this helmet in early WWII

Vladimir Berkov

One Too Many
Nice! It looks like it still has the original rough paint finish!

I actually wish the US stuck with this model of helmet during WWII. The pot helmet has always struck me as really goofy and retarded looking.

green papaya

One Too Many
yes, the paint has the original rough texture finish, looks like cork or sand mixed in with the paint, maybe saw dust?

I also like the classic look of the old style helmets sometimes called the "Brodie"

wearing_helmet_1.jpg

here's a WW1 re-enactor wearing a WW1 M1917 "Doughboy helmet"

Alan Eardley

One Too Many
M1917 helmet

I'm not sure it's about looks. The British Mark 1 (and later Mark 2) helmet was very similar to the M1917 and was designed just before WW1 (i.e. 1914) to be worn occasionally (e.g. during shelling). The rest of the time a cap or slouch hat was worn for comfort. The helmet was carried on the back pack held by two cross straps, or at the waist. Because it was relatively flat it didn't get in the way. With a 'modern' helmet (such as the M1) this would be impractical, so the 'pot' has to be worn all the time, even when the wearer is not in action. That can be inconvenient and uncomfortable - I can see a lot of merit in the old designs.

MrBern

I'll Lock Up
Vladimir Berkov said:
Nice! It looks like it still has the original rough paint finish!

I actually wish the US stuck with this model of helmet during WWII. The pot helmet has always struck me as really goofy and retarded looking.

The Brit helmet is snazzy , but you cant cook stew in it, nor soak your tired feet.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Marco21