Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

My New Sporty's G-1

The Good

Call Me a Cab
Hey guys! Just came to show you all the G-1 leather jacket I ended up getting for my birthday. It's from here, Sporty's:

http://sportys.com/PilotShop/product/9084

Here's a few pictures of my own (please do excuse the poor cell phone quality):

DSC00193.jpg

DSC00198.jpg

DSC00197-1.jpg

DSC00205.jpg

I'll add better shots, later, this is all I can come up with now, with it being evening and dark. The leather is goatskin, just as advertised on the website, and it feels particularly soft, and sort of thin. I'm not sure how thin is too thin, but I feel like I'll be fine with it. The color is a dark, seal brown, almost black looking in this evening's lighting, but outside it may appear more obviously brown to the eye. The cell phone pictures I took show the brown pretty well though.

captaincaveman1

A-List Customer
Looks good on you. Also this thread is refreshing... too many threads around here contain pics of WW2-inspired garments worn by sagging, rotund middle-aged men (myself included). I mean c'mon, I'm 180 lbs... how many kids raised in the depression-era weighed that much?lol

Good to see young blood wearing a flight jacket on the frame the originals were cut to be worn on.

Metatron

One Too Many
Looks very good! It also has quite a subtle look which I think works better for your age than the more flamboyantly produced versions.

I concur that it's nice to see young people wearing flight jackets! :p

djgo-cat-go

Practically Family
The Good said:
Hey guys! Just came to show you all the G-1 leather jacket I ended up getting for my birthday. It's from here, Sporty's:

http://sportys.com/PilotShop/product/9084

Here's a few pictures of my own (please do excuse the poor cell phone quality):

DSC00193.jpg

DSC00198.jpg

DSC00197-1.jpg

DSC00205.jpg

I'll add better shots, later, this is all I can come up with now, with it being evening and dark. The leather is goatskin, just as advertised on the website, and it feels particularly soft, and sort of thin. I'm not sure how thin is too thin, but I feel like I'll be fine with it. The color is a dark, seal brown, almost black looking in this evening's lighting, but outside it may appear more obviously brown to the eye. The cell phone pictures I took show the brown pretty well though.

:eusa_clap Looks good on you! I'd like to see a picture of you wearing the G1 outside in sunlight..

Like your hair also!

The Good

Call Me a Cab
Thanks everyone! I'll be sure to post an outdoor shot eventually. Anyway, I wore the jacket to my classes and on campus today. It was cold in the morning, though ironically, later in the afternoon it was blazing hot under the sun. I actually did get a compliment on the new jacket though, some guy came up to me in the student lounge while I was watching a couple of others play a video game, he said "Lookin' good, you look like a greaser, Grease Lightning, man!" Something to that effect, anyway. Well, I did "grease" up my hair this morning (Brylcreem and Dax Wave and Groom), and was wearing indigo blue jeans with it, so.

too much coffee

Practically Family
Hey J.B.;

Your new G-1 looks good on you! Soon when a hot chick comes up and compliments you on your appearance.......you'll know your money was well spent!

Stay in school man, the flight jacket hobby can get expensive.

Take care and best regards, coffee

Heavyduti

Familiar Face
Great jacket

Your new jacket looks great.

I see tons of this model in vintage stores but have not yet seen anyone wearing one on the 'street' here. Our Spring and Fall would be ideal for this weight and one could get away with it on many winter days too.

green papaya

One Too Many
looks like a perfect fit with some room to move

I like the feel of a brand new G-1 jacket that has never been worn, it's the "CADILLAC" of leather flight jackets :)

NowOrNever

Familiar Face
Congratulations on the G1 it looks like a good choice... and is a good fit on you too.

Please be sure and post when that "hot chick" compliments you on your jacket, just as Too Much Coffee suggests! I'd love to know it REALLY does happen ;)

Maybe I should get a G1 myself?!! :p

The Good

Call Me a Cab
NowOrNever said:
Congratulations on the G1 it looks like a good choice... and is a good fit on you too.

Please be sure and post when that "hot chick" compliments you on your jacket, just as Too Much Coffee suggests! I'd love to know it REALLY does happen ;)

Maybe I should get a G1 myself?!! :p

I would say go for it! The G-1 has always been a model jacket that I've liked most. My jacket is a darker, seal brown, but I really like the lighter colors too. As for the hot chick comments, yes, I'll post them! I have a feeling that we need a thread like in the hat forum, a nice compliments thread, but with more of a focus on the jackets instead.

May your jacket give you 50 years of comfort and practical protection.

Fifty years... I sure hope. However, I have a feeling that it's probably only about a fourth as quality as the vintages that have survived that long. Time will tell, for sure though.

The Good

Call Me a Cab
A funny story about my jacket today: I wore it to the Angels baseball game, and afterwards, while I was walking out with the rest of the group, I thought I heard a guy right behind me mention to his partner the words "World War II," possibly in reference to my G-1. Nobody was addressing me specifically, but I don't know what else it could have been, anyway.

The Good

Call Me a Cab
Oh the size? That would be medium. I still wear this jacket frequently, but come to think of it, I have not posted another picture of me standing, wearing it, since these originals... maybe I'll have to address that at some point. It's was somewhat baggy to begin with, but now it's even more on the baggy side of fit, I don't know, maybe I've just been losing too much weight? My next jacket will almost certainly come from a different, preferably higher end manufacturer. Aero or Gibson and Barnes would be nice. I suppose I'll wait until next year though. It's a bit of a set back trying to even get myself a new tweed sport coat.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CLUless82