Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

My New Hat...

fatwoul

Practically Family
My Fed Deluxe just arrived from hatsdirect. Fits great. I'll post some pictures just as soon as I've woken up. I just wanted to shout about it in the meantime. :D

fatwoul

Practically Family
OK here goes...

FedDlxFrontSML.jpg

FedDlxSideSML.jpg

FedDlxInsideSML.jpg

The colour is a little darker than the pictures show, with a touch more blue in it.

I like the inside badge, which as some have noted is different to a lot of other ones. Is this badge new?

Anyway, as you can see, there's no bash yet. It's a pristine hat. Yes, it probably will end up with a Raiders bash pretty soon, but possibly more an LC, because I don't really want to turn the hat. I need some symmetry in my life, what with my lop-sided face. Don't believe me? Here:

NewGlasses.jpg

Bash suggestions welcomed.

BJBAmerica

A-List Customer
Great looking hat.....Looking forward to seeing what bash you give it and then some pics of you modeling it.....Nice specs, BTW, Shurons?

RBH

Bartender
Man, dont you love those straight sides!
As far as the bash, a tight pinch will look good even without the turn.
But, was I you I would go for a loser pinch to start with, you can always 'tighten' it up as you go along. And without question...a center dent!!!
Great looking fedora! Post us a few pics of you wearing it when you get the bash done.
:eusa_clap :eusa_clap :eusa_clap :eusa_clap

fatwoul

Practically Family
BJBAmerica said:
Great looking hat.....Looking forward to seeing what bash you give it and then some pics of you modeling it.....Nice specs, BTW, Shurons?

Correct! I got them off eBay a couple of years ago. You have no idea the struggle it was to get them here. Guy was a total turkey - charged me express shipping and then just kinda sat on them for a couple of weeks. Fool. Anyway, then I had another struggle to find an opticians willing to put my lenses in. They're the originals, not the Ronsir copies around now. You clearly already knew that.

They hadn't ever been used properly - they had a store label in them, like the ones they put in the frames they have on display for you to try on in the shop. Judging by the immaculate condition they're definitely display frames.

I don't wear them all the time, just when I want to create a different impression, but whenever I do, I get comments. I was in a strip club in Baltimore called "Crazy Russian", and all the strippers kept telling me how they liked my glasses. True story.

Anyway, the hat...

It IS great, isn't it? I'm pleased with it. Still trying to decide the bash for it though.

deanglen said:
Center dent with a slight pinch in front. Indy.

dean

You're probably right. Slight front pinch leans toward Last Crusade, which this hat seems to do a little better than Raiders.

Thanks for looking, guys.

fatwoul

Practically Family
RBH said:
Man, dont you love those straight sides!..

Absolutely. Already this hat casts a great shadow.

RBH said:
...As far as the bash, a tight pinch will look good even without the turn...

Yeah, that's what I hope. I just don't like the turn. I mean, I like the effect enough, but I do prefer symmetry, and I've tried turning this hat - with it being a long oval, it's just not as comfortable at anything other than dead straight. That's not to say it isn't comfortable. It is. Much more so than my only other fedora.

RBH said:
...But, was I you I would go for a loser pinch to start with, you can always 'tighten' it up as you go along...

Good call. Easier to start loose and tighten than the other way around. Eventually it will have a tight pinch, though. Just depends how patient I am to work up to it. Plus, that way, I can see if it looks better with a gentle dent, as per deanglen's suggestion.

RBH said:
...And without question...a center dent!!!...

Oh agreed, no question. I love the heart-shape, and there's just no need for a more complicated method to get that when you have as much felt in the crown as these shape hats do.

I'm thinking I'll do the same with that - start loose and tighten it up over time once its settled in the right place.

RBH said:
...Great looking fedora! Post us a few pics of you wearing it when you get the bash done.
:eusa_clap :eusa_clap :eusa_clap :eusa_clap

Thanks. Did I mention I'm pleased with it? :D

fatwoul

Practically Family
deanglen said:
Is it soft felt?

Hmm. I only have one point of reference, which is my existing hat made by Hills of New Zealand. This one is softer than that hat, but the felt is also a little thinner. It seems fairly plyable, but so far I haven't put any firm shapes into it, so I'll let you know.

Andykev

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
Bit more conservative I think.

I think you should do a Diamond Crease, pinch in front, side "gentle" pinches, and a gentle pinch in the back. The pic you posted doesn't "balance" on you.
Think 40's movie, Elisha Cooke in "The Big Sleep".:D

fatwoul

Practically Family
Thanks guys. I still need to play around with it a lot more. Like I was saying over at COW just now, the hat should reflect my character, so it needs to look indecisive and lop-sided. After a few different bashes have gone through it, I'm sure that's exactly how it will look. :D

schanop

New in Town
May I?

Hi gent,

And nice Hat, fatwoul ;)

May I jam this thread with my rather new hat? I have had it for about a month now, a dark brown Deluxe. So it's the same model as fatwoul's. I still think that its brim is still a little too big on me. What do you gent. think?

Here are some pictures (click on the image for enlargement):

Thank, Chanop

BJBAmerica

A-List Customer
schanop said:
Hi gent,

And nice Hat, fatwoul ;)

May I jam this thread with my rather new hat? I have had it for about a month now, a dark brown Deluxe. So it's the same model as fatwoul's. I still think that its brim is still a little too big on me. What do you gent. think?

Thank, Chanop

I don't think the brim looks too big on you at all, and the bash you've given it is top notch!!!!

Looks GREAT!!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HyakujuJoe