Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

my "new" Borsalino

Dinerman

Super Moderator
Bartender
I finally got this in the mail today. I bought it on ebay for $36 bucks. They originally had it listed as a US size 7-1/2, then measured it and scaled it back to a 7-1/8, I threw in a low bid a few hours before the auction ended and ended up winning it.
It is a size 6-1/2, which fits like a US 7-3/8, so I stuck some felt strips under the sweat.

It's not lined, and has the borsalino logo under "plastic" in the crown.
The sweat reads "Romolo Bignotti- Venezia- Merceria S. Giuliano 732".
It has a silver corrugated ribbon.
The sweatband is reeded, and the seam is taped on the back instead of sewn. My '30's borsalino has this same feature. Was this common?
I would have taken a shot of the serial tag, but the sweat is dry and cracking, so I felt it would be wise not to.

There are two rows of stitching along the overwelt.

The felt is my favorite part of this hat. It is pretty soft and has a nice long nap. I've never seen a vintage one like this.

so- what do you think of it?

IMG_3134.jpg

IMG_3135.jpg

IMG_3124.jpg

IMG_3130.jpg

IMG_3127.jpg

IMG_3126.jpg

IMG_3125.jpg

Dinerman

Super Moderator
Bartender
Tonight I think I'm going to take the basting stitches out of the bow. It's amazing that no one has done this. It seems like it would be the first thing you would do when you got it home from the store.

Muzz

New in Town
another newby Q:

Dinerman said:
Tonight I think I'm going to take the basting stitches out of the bow. It's amazing that no one has done this. It seems like it would be the first thing you would do when you got it home from the store.

There are little plastic stiches in the bow on one of my hats, can I remove them without making it loose?

Dinerman

Super Moderator
Bartender
I don't think so. This hat has a stitch loosely running through every other fold of the corrugated ribbon, just to tack it down. It's like how they tack the vent shut on a new sportcoat, or put a stitch in to keep the pocket shut.
I's not done on more traditional bows.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HyakujuJoe