Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

My latest eBay buy - 50s Sears MC jacket

jon z

One of the Regulars
Well I've gone & done it again. Taken a fairly expensive (for me anyway) gamble on an eBay auction. The only fault seems to be the tear to the the back of the cuff end of the sleeve. This has been stitched & I decided I could live with it as otherwise the jacket's in remarkable condition for its age. I've seen the odd one or two of these on the Bay before, the last one in this this condition but with no tears sold for three times what I paid for this. I like the unusual & unique to Sears AFAIK variation on the accepted Motorcycle Jacket styles. It should fit me if the listed sizes are accurate but wont know for sure until it's has winged its way from the US to the UK. Here are the pics I've grabbed from the listing:

[

OneEyeMan

Practically Family
Nice Score!:eusa_clap
I really like it.
And the repair to the torn sleeve looks really well done.
Obviously, we need pix of you wearing it when it arrives.
Lenny

Pushrod

One of the Regulars
I'm having trouble with my pc, I only get about the top third of the pics. What I can see looks great, real old school. I'll try again after I reboot. Be sure and post pics of you wearing it.

jon z

One of the Regulars
Thanks guys. I was quite pleased with the fact that a previous owner had cared enough about the jacket to have the sleeve repair done, & well at that. All part of it's history for me which is a big attraction that repros lack.

I'll be sure to post the wearing pics (if it fits) when it arrives. If it doesn't it'll be for sale.

Pushrod

One of the Regulars
Alright now, I got the pics to load, Wow, fantastic looking jacket. It looks in excellant condition, I had a similar jacket back in the sixtys, the collar and small lapels look great, I'd keep it even if if didn't fit. The repair just adds to the character. Good one!

feltfan

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Supreme quality indeed. Have to agree that the repair is no big deal.
Love the details - the design in the back, the corduroy inside, etc.
Great score. Hope it fits.

Stearmen

I'll Lock Up
Surgeons Repair

Fantastic find! I like the lining and the repair almost looks like a surgeons sutures! Keep it and enjoy it, sounds like it is good hands now.

Johnnynotoes

Familiar Face
Quote; I like the unusual & unique to Sears AFAIK variation on the accepted Motorcycle Jacket styles.

Yep...I really like that! The smaller collar cut is great. AND the fittings...love that belt. Not seen one like this before but had I, I would have been scrambling for it. Hope it fits...really unique jac.

Edward

Bartender
Puts me in mind of a crossbreed between a Perfecto and an Aero Bootlegger... I do like it a lot. The sleeve repair is, as has been said, really nicely done and makes the jacket that bit more unique.... I'll be interested to see pictures of it being worn.

The lining is interesting, too.... that quilted red satin is something I've always associated very stringly with Lewis Leathers and their sixties output, though I've also seen it on other brands (don't know if Lewis were first?) like Mascot etc. Would it be possible that Sears were nodding towards Lewis with this, or were Lewis not well enough known in the US to provide such 'design inspiration' (as compared to Schott and their Perfecto design...)?

I imagine that a quilted, nylon lining as opposed to wool or drill cotton can give some idea of a rough date of manufacture, though I'm not quite sure exactly where to put that. Based purely on jackets I've personally encountered, I automatically think mid fifties, though I'm influenced in that by my perception of when that became the standard in USAF jackets, and the notion that civilian wear can lag behind the military in adoption of that sort of thing...?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HyakujuJoe