Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

my first pair of selfedge jeans

Mark

Practically Family
Hi, having read lots of stuff here on the Lounge about Selfedge jeans (have i spelt that right and what does the term mean anyway?) i thought i'd see what all the fuss was about. I won a pair on the Bay, Albam jeans, 12oz i think (again not sure what that actually refers to?). I don't think they are top draw as they only cost £75. new, mine cost me £40. a bit pricey really but they have only been worn a few times and washed once so look like new. To look at they seem a bit dated in style but then they are'nt meant to be a fashion jean i guess. They are a dark blue, kinda shiny and seem a tad heavier than my regular levi, diesal jeans. They also have a blue piece of material with red and white lines running up the inside of the legs. I believe this is an indicator they are of selfedge quality? They also feel quite nice to the touch having a denser feel to them. I have yet to wear them as i only had them back today after having them taken up a bit.
Whats the view of those of you in the know? Are they a good first selfedge jean? To be honest i could'nt bring myself to spend much more on a pair of jeans but i'm keen to give these a go.

By the way Albam are an English company that makes lots of stuff with quality, durability and affordability in mind (there words)

Thanks

mattface

Practically Family
Selvage denim is woven on a narrow loom, similar to the looms used for most denim pre-1960s. It's called selvage or selvedge, because of the way the warp thread is woven to create a finished edge. That striped edge is what makes it selvage denim.

It tends to be more expensive to produce because weaving on the narrow looms takes longer to make the same square yardage. Although it tends to be seen as a mark of quality, the trendiness of selvage denim means there are folks out there making poor quality selvage denim. There is also no good reason high quality denim cannot be woven on modern wide looms. The selvage does make for a nice detail, and a historical one for folks who care about such things.

RegentSt1965

Familiar Face
Albam selvage jeans are made in Leicester (UK) from Japanese woven denim http://www.albamclothing.com/denim.htm . On the way back from Son of a Stag yesterday after getting some great deadstock 40's Henleys and another great chainstitched hem, I dropped into the Spitalfields Albam Store to see how they offered such apparent good value jeans. I have some useful Albam pieces, and have earmarked their jeans for a punt if anyraw ones pop-up in their next sale.

Mark

Practically Family
thanks Mattface and Regent, useful and interesting feed back. The only real advantage it seems to me in owning a pair of salvage jeans (i'm not bothered about the historical links) is they last longer and perhaps develop some kinda patina. I doubt this will stop me from buying regular high street jeans though. I'v had and have jeans that have lasted best part of 10 years and which i'v become quite attached too. Can't see the substantial extra some folks pay for these selvage jeans seems to justify buying/owning a pair. However, perhaps when i'v worn and owned mine for a bit my views may change on that.
Thanks guys
mark

wdw

One Too Many
Hi Mark. I'm an agnostic on selvedge too, but you can get them for the same price as regular high street ones through the likes of Freddie's and Gustin.

I've gone down that route, as I'd rather support small businesses than the sweat shop majors.

Mark

Practically Family
yes i'd rather support the small business too. Talking of small business check out Sou'West Chunkies. They are a small cottage industry based in Cornwall that produce wool from local sheep to produce really lovely jumpers at a price you'll find haed to believe. I think they make them on old traditional hand looms. Lovely folks too.
Hi Mark. I'm an agnostic on selvedge too, but you can get them for the same price as regular high street ones through the likes of Freddie's and Gustin.

I've gone down that route, as I'd rather support small businesses than the sweat shop majors.

wdw

One Too Many
I have a couple of their chunkies thanks to this site. The price and quality is unbeatable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CLUless82