Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

my first fedora

Fed in a Fedora

Practically Family
The multitude of options and styles is a bit overwhelming. I have several hats that I wear often. The one in the photo is styled from the 1860's. The pistol is an 1905 Harper's Ferry flintlock. I hope the pistol does not offend anyone. The hat I am wearing in the attached photo is the hot I wear most often.

Thank you for your many suggestions. As a short man, I think a shorter crown and not a wide brim would be better, right?

It is an 1805 Harpers Ferry and should not offend anyone. I have a rack of flintlocks and love shooting them; building replicas of them; and making powderhorns for them.

But just so you won't feel like the only guy with a gun...

Hamiltonsrevenge20123cropdlmsharp 2 sepia.jpg

Custom Lancaster flintlock longrifle correct for about the same time period.

As to your hat, study your look and try to get the pieces to blend a bit. After that boldly wearing it is the key. Looks like your avatar nails the idea already.

Fed NMLRA instructor and range officer

Michael R.

Call Me a Cab
People are too fragile these days. I doubt anyone on this forum (which reveres "a time when men were men") would be offended anyway.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Yeah , that was a joke getting to that point . I guess it was So Sad it wasn't funny . Doing a One Upper ... . I laugh at that stuff it's So Redonkulous ... .

singlechange

One of the Regulars
My grandfather was born in 1899. He worked in a lumber mill most of his life. When he came to our home for Thanksgiving and Christmas he wore a three-piece pin-stripped suit, cuff-links, a silk tie with a gold horizontal piece near the knot of the tie, I don't know what that is called. He also wore a Navy blue fedora. I admired the way he looked. There was just something remarkable about him. A humble gentleman in the best tradition. He did not dress well to impress, he dressed well because he was a polite gentleman.

I can't be him, I don't like to wear a three piece suit. I like my short-cut suede leather jacket with more zippers than needed. However, I want to add a fedora to my hat collection, a high quality fedora.

I don't want to look silly, ripped jeans with a fedora is not the look I want. Wool slacks, polished shoes, and a handsome long sleeved shirt is more my style. Will a fedora be out of place on my head? I hope not!

I am open to suggestions for my first high-quality fedora.

Bob
My grandfather was born in 1899. He worked in a lumber mill most of his life. When he came to our home for Thanksgiving and Christmas he wore a three-piece pin-stripped suit, cuff-links, a silk tie with a gold horizontal piece near the knot of the tie, I don't know what that is called. He also wore a Navy blue fedora. I admired the way he looked. There was just something remarkable about him. A humble gentleman in the best tradition. He did not dress well to impress, he dressed well because he was a polite gentleman.

I can't be him, I don't like to wear a three piece suit. I like my short-cut suede leather jacket with more zippers than needed. However, I want to add a fedora to my hat collection, a high quality fedora.

I don't want to look silly, ripped jeans with a fedora is not the look I want. Wool slacks, polished shoes, and a handsome long sleeved shirt is more my style. Will a fedora be out of place on my head? I hope not!

I am open to suggestions for my first high-quality fedora.

Bob
Hey Bob,
My friend and master hatter Mr. Corvelli gave me very good advice that worked for me. He said that a fedora is really one item of an ensemble of whatever you like to wear. In deciding what might look good on you it is a good idea to try the new fedora with your favorite jacket, coat, suit, raincoat, overcoat, etc. I'd try on as many hats with your favorite suede leather jacket and then decide.

RJR

Hey Bob,
My friend and master hatter Mr. Corvelli gave me very good advice that worked for me. He said that a fedora is really one item of an ensemble of whatever you like to wear. In deciding what might look good on you it is a good idea to try the new fedora with your favorite jacket, coat, suit, raincoat, overcoat, etc. I'd try on as many hats with your favorite suede leather jacket and then decide.
Agree.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HyakujuJoe