Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

My Custom Tailor Disaster - Hold those orders!

Update - Final bill to clean trousers and have 23 buttons replaced - $221.00!

$80 for the bleaching (stain is still slightly noticeable, but it was the best they could do) $72 for buttons (replaced with horn, so figure half for the cheap ones) and $69 to have buttons sewn.

I sent the bill to MCT this morning, so we'll see if they'll make good. I was thinking of trying to at least get a few free shirts, but with all the jack I spent on shipping and repairs, I think I should get a free suit!

I'll keep you posted on their customer service.

Regards,

Senator Jack

I've only found one cleaners around here that will do bleaching and they happen to be up on the hoity toidy upper east side. I had them do a white dinner jacket last year, and they did get all the tannins and stains out. Same price - $80.

The tailor charged me $3 a button. He did have to open the lining, though. I thought that was a bit steep. Unfortunately, my reasonable and extremely knowledgeable tailor just went off to Greece for two months (he made suits in the 60s) so I couldn't go to him. He probably would have done it for half.

The new black matte horn buttons really improve the suit. The large size were about $4.50 each, and I think the smaller ones were about $2.50. That's the problem with MCT - no selection in buttons. I had asked if they had horn, telling them I'd pay extra for them, but they just don't do it. Can you imagine buying a $1,000 suit and still getting cheap buttons?

Still waiting to hear from them.

Regards,

Senator Jack

tofu

New in Town
Senator Jack said:
Update - Final bill to clean trousers and have 23 buttons replaced - $221.00!

$80 for the bleaching (stain is still slightly noticeable, but it was the best they could do) $72 for buttons (replaced with horn, so figure half for the cheap ones) and $69 to have buttons sewn.

I sent the bill to MCT this morning, so we'll see if they'll make good. I was thinking of trying to at least get a few free shirts, but with all the jack I spent on shipping and repairs, I think I should get a free suit!

I'll keep you posted on their customer service.

Regards,

Senator Jack

you sent them a bill for $221? they would've been better off just making you the new pants!

Etienne

A-List Customer
SenatorJack, that suit looks OUTSTANDING on you!! There certainly are a lot of good-looking, well-dressed gentlemen in this place! I'm thinking a men's fashion show is in order here...!

Mr. Rover

One Too Many
The tailor around the corner from where I was interning was charging $2 to sew on a button, so it would've cost $12 to put in all the suspender buttons in my pants. A bit too steep- I figured I could use a belt until I got back to Taiwan.

nicemouth

New in Town
Savoia custom suits?

SJ-

Since you are in the Big Apple...

Perhaps you have heard about Savoia in the East Village? It's a custom suit shop that I've heard creates wonderful custom menswear in 1940's designs. Savoia has recently outfitted many of the actors for scenes in "The Sopranos" and has been recommended in a recent GQ article.

I visted the shop in the late 1990's and wondering if it's still there.(?) If so, I hope you check it out for a better "in person" fitting experience.

Good luck~
nicemouth

Shaul-Ike Cohen

One Too Many
"The clothing is the ultimate additional service," adds custom tailor Michael Savoia, Allan’s childhood friend, who formerly operated his own boutique across from the World Trade Center and went out of business in the aftermath of September 11. The new Savoia Custom Clothiers shop in John Allan’s Midtown salon produces bespoke suits starting at $2,000 and custom-made shirts for $295, as well as all of the accoutrements—neckwear, belts, cuff links, even footwear—for the well-dressed man. "I’m working on membership packages to offer discounts and special fabric choices to regular customers," says the designer, who plans to introduce a John Allan’s by Savoia collection of accessories early next year.​
(from here)

Shaul-Ike Cohen

One Too Many
Baron Kurtz said:
Of course, buttons are really easy to sew on. Save some money: learn to sew.

If you're new to this, sew'm on before you give it to the dry cleaner's, otherwise you'll have to pay another 80 bucks to get the blood stains off.

Baron Kurtz said:
I can do pretty much any alteration to trousers now. Next up is jacket arms.

:eusa_clap [insert the equivalent of "Hats off" for somebody who's used to wear a headcovering all day]

I'm happy if I sew on a button, or open a stitched-up pocket, without ruining the thing.

Do you use a machine for the alterations?

Just got an electronic communique from MCT. They're going to send me a free suit. I sent them the report from the drycleaner and I guess they couldn't argue that the buttons were somehow defective. Plus there was my cost of sending the suits back, customs charges, etc, so they decided to make good. Although, I'm wondering if they stumbled on to this thread. Will follow up later.

Regards,

Senator Jack

Shaul-Ike Cohen

One Too Many
Senator Jack said:
Although, I'm wondering if they stumbled on to this thread.

Even if they did, so what? And should there be a next customer from among the Lounge who has such a problem, he'll have the same means of protest.

Thanks in advance! ;)

scotrace

Head Bartender
Staff member
Excellent news

Senator Jack said:
Just got an electronic communique from MCT. They're going to send me a free suit. I sent them the report from the drycleaner and I guess they couldn't argue that the buttons were somehow defective. Plus there was my cost of sending the suits back, customs charges, etc, so they decided to make good. Although, I'm wondering if they stumbled on to this thread. Will follow up later.

Regards,

Senator Jack

I'm sure you're relieved.

I also do all my own sewing now. Sewing on buttons is far too easy to pay someone else to do it. Last week I replaced the buttons on a leather item, which required the use of pliers. I can also cuff my own trousers, add suspender buttons, etc. Baron is ahead of me in doing real alterations, but I'll get there.

WEEGEE

Practically Family
Same Suit

Senator Jack--

Senator,

Are they making you the same suit with better buttons or a new suit of

your choice? Either way good news!!!

Cheers,

WeeGee

cookie

I'll Lock Up
Senator Jack said:
The material is the Super 120s. The cleaner tried to remove the stains twice but they will not come out.

Overall, I'm getting to feel a bit disappointed with online tailoring. Shirts I got have shrunk more than expected. I received one that was missing a buttonhole on one sleeve. I've had to send all my suits back for alterations. I'm kind of getting tired of shipping them back at MY expense. Then when they come back, I have to pay duty on them again.

I'm going to argue with them this time. I don't even want to deal with the hassle of sending them back before refund. If they want to send a DHL truck over to pick it up, that's fine, but I've been more than accomodating to them, and here I am, the customer!

As opposed to this, in a brief bout of madness, I had an Italian suit made through a habadasher here in NY. He took all of four measurements and I got this beautiful suit in three weeks. Hard to see in the picture, but it has black pinstripes. I know a large portion of what I paid went for his rent, but disregarding that, the suit is of FAR superior quality to the Bangkok job. I also didn't have to deal with all the hassles, which probably added up to about 20 hours of my time, so figure a half-weeks pay.

DSCF0012.jpg

Regards,

Senator Jack

I sent my own material and buttons and lining to MCT. The suit was okay for AUD200.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HyakujuJoe