Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

My A2 Collection...

Worf

I'll Lock Up
As I said in my introductory posting, my ole lady gave me a "fakey" A2 as a 54th Birthday present. It was a Tuskegee Airmen "Tribute" A2 made in China. The thing was an abomination, more patches on it than a Mardi Gras float. After that I became determined to do better. Spurred on by my love of military history and my respect for the Red Tails I began collecting and modding A2's here's what I got so far.

IMG_0871.jpg

Depatched Tuskegee "Tribute" A2

BigBoyTributeOne.jpg

Biggest and most comfortable of the bunch but snaps, buttons... almost everything is wrong. Still price we pay for domestic bliss.

IMG_0870.jpg

Schott Hybrid A2/G2 in Leather

SchottA2G1Hybrid.jpg

Great winter A2 with lining. Thick and heavy more biker jacket than A2.

IMG_0873.jpg

U.S. Wings A2 in Antique Cowhide

USWings.jpg

I patched this one up for the Red Tails premiere. God the name tag wrong but there was a lot of variations back then.

IMG_0867.jpg

Used Avirex A2 in Horsehide

AvirexA2Exact.jpg

Real A2 most representative of the bunch. Fits like a glove, better not gain any weight. Probably won't patch.

As I said I'll probabl add one more in black horsehide and stop there. But hobbies are easy to start and hard to stop. Ask me about my vintage speaker collection sometime, Epicures, EPI, ADS, AR's, Ohm Walsh series. This hobbies much cheaper and uses a LOT less space.

Worf

karhu21

One of the Regulars
Nice collection you got there.
As a matter of interest you should check out the Eastman Leather Clothing website which feature a Redtails series as they made a number of the flight jackets as worn in the movie.
Not sure if they will make a black A2 though.
Lost worlds would be worth contacting as they make a black A2 jacket.

Take it easy!

53Effie

A-List Customer
Looking good Worf. Welcome to the Lounge and thanks for posting these shots of your collection. I really think it is unlikely that you'll be able to stop at this point and hanging out here is not going to make it any easier. It's good fun though and many nice people around who are very knowledgeable. Cheers.

Windward

Practically Family
Welcome Cpt. Worf - thanks for sharing - great pics - the Schott Hybrid A2/G2 looks sharp on you - what kind of chino do you wear - is it Bills Khaki M1 ?

Panacheman

Familiar Face
nice collection sir and welcome Im With Windward the Schott Hybrid is in my humble view the sharpest but the US wings with the patches is most certainly not without its charms.

Worf

I'll Lock Up
Thanks for the love folks. I lurk more than I post here because I'm just getting my toe in. If I were thinner, I'd LOVE to get a total 40's dress out, suit, fedora, shoes sharp as a tack and funkier than 9 cans of shaving powder. But that'll have to weight for another 30 pounds or so. Some of you guys are amazing with your gear, I'm in awe.

Worf

Hey Worf - welcome! And let me tell you, at the age of 50 (last year on my birthday) I committed to losing weight. I went from my high of 252 lbs to my current 220. I was down to 215, but it was a little too much for my height of 6'-4". You can do it! And you know what? I like clothing much better now. It also opens doors previously closed - like Good Wear jackets. Having got to my goal and kept there, I have a GW A-2 on order now. You can easily sell the jackets you have once you lose the weight, and you'll be happy you did. My blood pressure and cholesterol also went way down. I was always "normal" but went beyond on the last three years. Now I feel great and well, spend more money on clothes lol
Welcome to the club. You look good for a 54. Get yourself down to a 50 and you'll be happier. I dropped from a 52 to a 48. You can do it, and given we're "old farts", it's just a good idea.
Good luck and welcome. Start saving your money :)

BTW, I have the same USW A-2 in antique cow and love it! Also a USW G-1 that is great. You need not spend $1000-1200 to get a good jacket. And always look on ebay and the classifieds here.

Scott

Peacoat

Bartender
Welcome to the FL, Captain Worf. I too like vintage speakers, especially the ones that Fender put in the old Fender tweed Bassman (4x10) series during the 50s and very early 60s. But don't get me started on that. That's, hopefully in the past; now I'll stick with leather jackets and pea coats.

Worf

I'll Lock Up
Hey Worf - welcome! And let me tell you, at the age of 50 (last year on my birthday) I committed to losing weight. I went from my high of 252 lbs to my current 220. I was down to 215, but it was a little too much for my height of 6'-4". You can do it! And you know what? I like clothing much better now. It also opens doors previously closed - like Good Wear jackets. Having got to my goal and kept there, I have a GW A-2 on order now. You can easily sell the jackets you have once you lose the weight, and you'll be happy you did. My blood pressure and cholesterol also went way down. I was always "normal" but went beyond on the last three years. Now I feel great and well, spend more money on clothes lol
Welcome to the club. You look good for a 54. Get yourself down to a 50 and you'll be happier. I dropped from a 52 to a 48. You can do it, and given we're "old farts", it's just a good idea.
Good luck and welcome. Start saving your money :)

BTW, I have the same USW A-2 in antique cow and love it! Also a USW G-1 that is great. You need not spend $1000-1200 to get a good jacket. And always look on ebay and the classifieds here.

Scott
Thanks for the encouragement Scott. I was alread in my mid 300's when I got a wake up call and have lost some 65 pounds BEFORE I took the pictures you see above. Believe me I feel better and perform better since dropping the poundage. I went the slow and steady route, cut out the soda, sweets, reduced the carbs, exercise every other day (religiously) and avoid fast food (well I did eat some Popeyes watching the Giants vs Niners on Sunday) like the plague it is. You're preaching to the chior but it's always good to hear encouraging words from someone else who's in the struggle as well.

Thanks loads..

Dave

Thanks for the encouragement Scott. I was alread in my mid 300's when I got a wake up call and have lost some 65 pounds BEFORE I took the pictures you see above. Believe me I feel better and perform better since dropping the poundage. I went the slow and steady route, cut out the soda, sweets, reduced the carbs, exercise every other day (religiously) and avoid fast food (well I did eat some Popeyes watching the Giants vs Niners on Sunday) like the plague it is. You're preaching to the chior but it's always good to hear encouraging words from someone else who's in the struggle as well.

Thanks loads..

Dave

Awesome news Dave! One of my best friends was in the same boat - big guy like you - and we're all working together on it. It really helps to have a support mechanism like friends, family, etc.
You're doing it right - there's no shortcuts. Every time I tried fads previously, it ended up the same - weight back in a couple months. I've been at this now a year, and I've stayed steady and now it's not even something I have to think about. I salute your progress and you're not just looking better, you're improving your health for your family and friends that love you. It might be a drag to have to sell your jackets for new (smaller) ones, but you'll be around longer to enjoy the hobby and life!

Keep it up - and save your money - this place has a way of separating you from it :)

kampkatz

Practically Family
Good to have you at FL, Worf. Your jackets are a good start to an addictive hobby.
BTW; Good luck to your Giants. They have a real challenge ahead of them.
Paul

NowOrNever

Familiar Face
Jackets through the years....

Worf, I enjoyed looking at the photos of your various jackets. I think they all have merit, especially as no jacket is ever quite the same as another. It is the individuality that adds so much interest...

Your quest for a great looking and "accurate" A-2 reminds me of my own! I sometimes reflect on the "mania" that is jacket hunting & the money I have lost on bad choices. Back then there was no ebay or various online retailers offering A-2s for sale. It was far harder to obtain any A-2 in the UK then especially an authentic reproduction.

I actually travelled all the way to London about three hours on a train in the 1990's when there was an Avirex store in Oxford Street London. Alas they had very little stock left in A-2s and I ended up purchasing a "heavily" lined version, which is not accurate at all. I have sold that Avirex & a Cooper, neither were bad jackets as such, but it is so easy to find fault with them... that is a lesson for sure ;-) I also knew less about autheticity at that time.

I don't think yourA-2 styled "Redtails" looks terrible at all. You mentioned the snaps not being accurate on the pockets, true they were originally concealed under leather. However it is possible to find examples of "field modified" WWII era issued A-2's with snaps added on the windflap/ waistband area to help prevet belts/ straps from snagging. I gleaned that information when talking to a collector who has seen & handled many original A-2s. It was interesting to learn that because it is not uncommon to see many reproduction A-2s fitted with such a snap. It isn't such a bad idea when it comes to practical considerations.

My last purchase was an Eastman steerhide A-2. I managed to get a bargain on ebay & it fits very well( always a problem especially when buying without a fitting). I enjoy owning it for what it is but have finally decided that style of jacket will probably *never* look good on me
However there are many collectors who own fine jackets that are never actually worn.

As for vintage speakers.... that sounds like a diferent story!

Thanks for sharing the photos and sharing your collection.

Last edited:

Worf

I'll Lock Up
Worf, I enjoyed looking at the photos of your various jackets. I think they all have merit, especially as no jacket is ever quite the same as another. It is the individuality that adds so much interest...

Your quest for a great looking and "accurate" A-2 reminds me of my own! I sometimes reflect on the "mania" that is jacket hunting & the money I have lost on bad choices. Back then there was no ebay or various online retailers offering A-2s for sale. It was far harder to obtain any A-2 in the UK then especially an authentic reproduction.

I actually travelled all the way to London about three hours on a train in the 1990's when there was an Avirex store in Oxford Street London. Alas they had very little stock left in A-2s and I ended up purchasing a "heavily" lined version, which is not accurate at all. I have sold that Avirex & a Cooper, neither were bad jackets as such, but it is so easy to find fault with them... that is a lesson for sure ;-) I also knew less about autheticity at that time.

I don't think yourA-2 styled "Redtails" looks terrible at all. You mentioned the snaps not being accurate on the pockets, true they were originally concealed under leather. However it is possible to find examples of "field modified" WWII era issued A-2's with snaps added on the windflap/ waistband area to help prevet belts/ straps from snagging. I gleaned that information when talking to a collector who has seen & handled many original A-2s. It was interesting to learn that because it is not uncommon to see many reproduction A-2s fitted with such a snap. It isn't such a bad idea when it comes to practical considerations.

My last purchase was an Eastman steerhide A-2. I managed to get a bargain on ebay & it fits very well( always a problem especially when buying without a fitting). I enjoy owning it for what it is but have finally decided that style of jacket will probably *never* look good on me
However there are many collectors who own fine jackets that are never actually worn.

As for vintage speakers.... that sounds like a diferent story!

Thanks for sharing the photos and sharing your collection.
Thanks for the compliments and perspective. In that I'm new to leather jackets and A2's in particular, I'm learning sooooo much here. I've even begun digging around in my closets and found a 20 year old leather driving coat I forgot I even had!!!! It's amazing since I started on this I haven't worn a cloth coat. I'm either breaking in the old Avirex HH or I'm staying toasty in the Schott. Even a friend has noted that I seem to be "in to leather coats" these days... and she's so right. Thanks again for sharing your story with me.

Worf

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HyakujuJoe