Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Musician's hats

bowlerman

I'll Lock Up
Have you seen him in Walk Hard? It's a satire on all the musician biographical films like Walk the Line, Dont Look Back, etc. Reilly plays the main character Dewey Cox and plays and sings through the movie.

That's right! No, I haven't seen it yet. I will have to change that soon.

20120911-dylan-cover-306x-1347396830.jpg

Dylan wears this white gambler style hat on Rolling Stone cover.

Short Balding Guy

I'll Lock Up
I have made a pledge to practice, play and play out of the house more starting this Fall. I am heading out to a friend's business to play. She owns a local coffee and sandwich shop. I am going to spend a couple hours over the lunch hour sharpening my public playing skills. I will hone them by playing for the patrons. It has been my experience that mostly they are busy eating or looking at their electronic devices. My fedora waits at the ready.

IMG3034-L.jpg

The Lounge has some members who are very accomplished muscians and even some working pro's. That is far from my skills. But I am ejoying being an adult learner and what better to play but the acoustic blues.

Ahhh, some Blind Boy Fuller would be a good start to the set! Eric -

(Stetson Whippet 50's brown w/Goodall OM (Rosewood/Sitka) waiting on the porch.)

Last edited:
Eric, beautiful guitar. I have an Aria that's about 40 years old, and a newer Garrison (Canadian model). I don't play much but enjoy it when I do.

It's a shame folks don't pay attention when you play, you can't beat live music in my book.

Short Balding Guy

I'll Lock Up
Leaving to play at a local Open Mic shortly. Here is a pic of my guitar and hat at the ready.

IMG3074-M.jpg

Practice this week has included some Big Bill Broonzy songs that I will play this evening. Pig Meat Strut, the pre-curser to Hey, Hey has been played and recorded by dozens of folks. I have been woking an arrangement that my playing buddy and I should be able to showcase well this evening. We can perform Pig Meat Strut and perhaps tease the listeners ear with the flavorings or maybe even the actual parts of Hey, Hey. Our practice has that song ging over 12 minutes with all versions/solos/lyrics. The audience will dictate what is done.

Anticipation is high for the acosutic blues we love. Learning and practicing the craft of being a muscian, Eric -

(Hatted with a VS Executive silverbelly and playing a Goodall 00 (Pacifica in maple/cedar). )

Last edited:

jlee562

I'll Lock Up
Don't know if there are any regular Saturday Night Live viewers here, but this week's host/musical guest Bruno Mars was wearing a Borso:
http://www.nbc.com/saturday-night-live/video/bruno-mars-locked-out-of-heaven/1421368

I'm not particularly a fan of his music, but nice to see a taller crowned, wider brimmed hat.

Speaking of Dylan, not a great picture by any means, but he was wearing his gambler style hat when I saw him last friday night:
20121019_224120.jpg

bowlerman

I'll Lock Up
I'm sure there's a hat down there somewhere! :) must have been great to see him live. Was he wearing the big white gambler with the kettle curled brim?

jlee562

I'll Lock Up
I'm sure there's a hat down there somewhere! :) must have been great to see him live. Was he wearing the big white gambler with the kettle curled brim?

Yeah, that's sure what it looked like to me. We were up in the lawn. It's funny, after a Dylan concert, it's always interesting to hear people's takes. I for one, really dig his arrangements now, and I think it makes sense considering that he can't really sing anymore. But he he has a huge presence and timbre in his voice which still carries through. He did awesome versions of "Tangled up in Blue" and "Ballad of Thin Man."

Che: believe it or not, this was actually my first show at the Greek Theater. And yes, it was quite a good venue!

Fletch

I'll Lock Up
Thanks...just a dumb find on Google. The link goes to some of his records on YouTube, of fine hotel style dance music.

Angelo grew up in Utica, NY, with a brother Felix, another musician and later bandleader. In 1910, Angelo, 15, skipped town to play piano for a woman singer on the road. Because he was not of age, it became a kidnaping case. Felix tracked the two to Rochester, where he found Angelo waiting for a train in women's clothes to avoid being spotted! lol

Angelo eventually became a bandmaster in a Catholic high school in Long Island. A musician-collector friend of mine played under him there, and credited him with instilling a lifelong love of the music of the 20s and 30s.

Last edited:

Joshbru3

I'll Lock Up
Louis Armstrong & Joe "King" Oliver

lg-louis-armstrong-and-king-oliver.jpg

Duke Ellington

EElington-hatjpgpagespeedce5LVavhLJBy.jpg

Charlie Christian

CharlieChristianHat.jpg

Charlie Christian & Count Basie

CountBasieCharlieChristian.jpg

Bing Crosby