Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Moose River Hat

MattJH

One Too Many
Looks like people are about 50/50 on this hat since the thread's inception. I like the silver belly color, at least in the photographs. We'll see what happens. If I don't like it, I can always re-auction it! And if I like it, I plan to beat the tar out of it.

jeboat

One of the Regulars
I have one for sale which I also bought from Grapevinehill. Never again, their stuff is all rejects or seconds.

As for the hat, I recommend one very much like it found only at Noggintops who are top notch vendors. It is called Stetson Bear Creek, a much better hat in the Sovereign line. I wear mine everywhere and it has held up well these last few years. It has not shrunk but I use a stretcher for all my daily hats just in case.

jeboat:) :) :)

dawgvet

Familiar Face
LL Bean Moose River hat?

Looking for a decent everyday hat to fish/hunt with and really like the looks of the Moose River hat in the LL Bean flyfishing catalog. I have a big, round head (7 5/8 or so) so I like the appearance of the taller crown in front. I have experience with good quality cowboy hats but have become enamored with a classic fedora. Budget around $100.

Rick Blaine

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Hiya Dawgvet,

Glad to see you here. The Moose River is a looker. I have had a Three Forks by Stetson for Cabela's and I think it is very similar. You might also take a hard look at an Akubra Campdraft. Were in GA. are you? I grew up in (& miss) Athens. Are you a DVM?

dawgvet

Familiar Face
Yeah, I'm a veterinarian. I live in Cherokee County but spent my time in the Classic City through vet school. Tell me more about a Akubra Campdraft.
Thanks,
Jed

dawgvet said:
Yeah, I'm a veterinarian. I live in Cherokee County but spent my time in the Classic City through vet school. Tell me more about a Akubra Campdraft.
Thanks,
Jed
Jed, we are close neighbors it seems, Cherokee County myself. I have had both the LL Bean hat in both colors & the Cabellas in the olive color. I also have 2 Campdrafts on order. I like the Cabella Three Forks more because of the 2 1/2 brim size. The LL Bean ones are a touch stingy on the brim for my face/head shape. I like a 2 3/4 brim like an Open Road/Campdraft but do wear 2 5/8 & 2 1/2. The Cabellas is a good knock around hat & handles rain fairly well. I can give the Campdraft report as soon as I get them.
Welcome & where do you practice vet medicine?

Flitcraft

One Too Many
If it helps...

I've had one of the Moose River hats for about 20 years and its still going strong...

Rick Blaine

My Mail is Forwarded Here
dawgvet said:
Thanks,
Jed

The campdraft is the Stetson Open Road under a new name. Akubra renamed it campdraft after Stetson pulled the licence for them down in OZ. It is the closest to a vintage Open Road available. The brim at 2 7/8" is a full 1/2" wider than the Moose river. Right now the exchange rate is super & Akubras can take a lickin' & keep on tickin'.
:eek:fftopic: What year did you graduate from UGA CVM? I have a few friends (& a few enemies :rolleyes: ) there.

Bob Smalser

One of the Regulars
LL Bean fedora (Moose River Hat? Been so long I don't remember what it was called.) circa 1970, fur felt in Silver Belly with a 2 1/4" brim edged with grosgrain ribbon. Also originally had a thin, matching grosgrain hat ribbon similar to an Open Road. The sheepskin ribbon I replaced it with is in a tackle box somewhere.

353093648.jpg

It's been my main fishing and bird hunting hat for over 30 years. A middlin quality hat, probably made by Stetson....but quite durable and comfy.

353093665.jpg

PS....we don't have a Campdraft but my wife has another Akubra Imperial Quality felt Snowy River hat, and I frankly don't see what everyone is so impressed with. A rather coarse rabbit felt in an unlined, middlin-quality hat that's relatively stiff and heavy compared to even this old LL Bean standby. A good, serviceable hat for the money....but a 3X or better vintage Open Road it isn't by a long shot.

carter

I'll Lock Up
Welcome to the Lounge, dawgvet! I have good memories of GA from the early 70's when I spent some months in Columbus courtesy of Uncle Sam.

For the $100.00 that you have budgeted, the Akubra Campdraft, as mentioned, in either Tawny Fawn or Silverbelly would be an ideal choice.

Take a look at these threads.

http://www.thefedoralounge.com/showthread.php?t=35843

http://www.thefedoralounge.com/showthread.php?t=36368

http://www.thefedoralounge.com/showthread.php?t=37618

http://www.thefedoralounge.com/showthread.php?t=34674

dawgvet

Familiar Face
Thanks for all the replies. I am at the Animal Hospital of West Woodstock off Bells Ferry Rd. I graduated from UGA College of Vet Med in '03. I'd love to see a comparison of the LL Bean vs Cabelas gtdean if maybe we could meet somewhere. I hate to buy something like a hat without getting to feel it out. I also have a big noggin (7 5/8) so fit sometimes can be a challenge.
Thanks to All,
Jed

Jed, I live right where Forsyth, Fulton & Cherokee counties come together. You & I are right there with the same hat size. I was a 7 1/2 Long Oval but seem to be a 7 5/8 these days, still long oval shaped head. A fellow Lounger just bought the old LL Bean I have left & I'll be shipping it out shortly. I will be around this weekend if you are in my area any & can find a place to meet & show you what lids I have to help your decision. Oh yea...Go Dawgs! My brother graduated from UGA the year they won the National Title (we were at the Sugar Bowl to see it). I was at Emory then & hate Ga Tech!

carldelo

One Too Many
A similar hat

Noggintops has an almost identical hat called the Bear Creek:

http://www.noggintops.com/page.cfm?p=52

It's Sovereign felt, which has a soft, comformable texture and is probably higher quality than the Bean hat - different color, though. The description talks about a comfort sweat band which might be desirable for a hunt/fish hat. If you check this thread, there's a code to take $20 off, so the price is close to the Moose River.

http://thefedoralounge.com/showthread.php?t=30112&page=2

PS - there is some concurrent discussion about the Moose River on another thread:

http://www.thefedoralounge.com/showthread.php?t=37816&page=2

That thread is focused on the possibility of an uncreased modern Stetson Open Road, which may interest you as well - but it won't be happening quickly.

dawgvet

Familiar Face
gtdean,
I tried to send you a PM but apparently I haven't been given that priviledge yet. Please shoot me an e-mail at dawgvet2003@yahoo.com as soon as possible. I really would like to meet up and check out some hats in person. Maybe we could meet around Hickory Flat or Free Home somewhere tomorrow afternoon as I work until about 1 pm.
Thanks,
Jed

Good point TinMan, I've had mine for well over 10 years & more. Current reviews on LL Bean are positive. My Cabelas Three Forks is a Royal Stetson line & seems to be in their Gun Club line now which has been fairly good material...

scotrace

Head Bartender
Staff member
Bob Smalser said:
PS....we don't have a Campdraft but my wife has another Akubra Imperial Quality felt Snowy River hat, and I frankly don't see what everyone is so impressed with. A rather coarse rabbit felt in an unlined, middlin-quality hat that's relatively stiff and heavy compared to even this old LL Bean standby. A good, serviceable hat for the money....but a 3X or better vintage Open Road it isn't by a long shot.

There is no comparison between a Snowy River and a Campdraft. The former is extremely stiff. Like a helmet. Stiffest hat I have ever seen outside the local western store. The latter is more shapable. They are manufactured differently.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HyakujuJoe