Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Modern Chinos

Robert Conway

A-List Customer
Can anyone recommend a good pair of current chinos that are nicely cut?
Straight leg, high waisted or with a tall rise?

L.L. Bean perhaps?

I know all about Bill's Khakis, but need some pants in something other than...khaki.;)

Thanks,

RC

Hemingway Jones

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
LL Bean's dress khakis are relatively high-waisted, though not to vintage standards, and are very nice pants. I have them in every color from navy, to four different khakis to chocolate brown. And they can be had for less than $20 at the LL Bean outlets (and sometimes on line they go on sale too). ;)

Robert Conway

A-List Customer
Hemingway Jones said:
LL Bean's dress khakis are relatively high-waisted, though not to vintage standards, and are very nice pants. I have them in every color from navy, to four different khakis to chocolate brown. And they can be had for less than $20 at the LL Bean outlets (and sometimes on line they go on sale too). ;)

Thanks.

Can you elaborate on what they mean by 'our slimmest fit'?

RC

Tony in Tarzana

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Anybody else have trouble with Dockers? They just seem flimsy to me, or maybe I'm just not good at taking care of them. I get maybe a year out of a pair before they wear through and split, then I say "Never again," but then after a few years I forget and buy another pair.

I'll check out the L.L. Bean stuff come Spring if I can lose some weight.

Solid Citizen

Practically Family
ALL Docker Products

Every time I've bought a Docker product they are poorly made to not wear for extended period before falling apart be it shirts, pants belts etc. :eusa_doh:

SC :rage:

Robert Conway

A-List Customer
Tony in Tarzana said:
Anybody else have trouble with Dockers?

Mine have lasted, but with the exception of a few models that they make, they have a pretty lousy cut, especially in the front. The rise is too short and makes the pants bunch up around our family jewels.

Robert Conway

A-List Customer
Hemingway Jones said:
I'm not sure about slim fit. I wouldn't go with that. I like fuller legs. They are excellent and very well made pants.

Oh, no. I'm with you. I'm looking for a fuller cut with straight legs.

That's why I found it odd that the description in their catalog mentioned that they were their slimmest cut, yet they were straight legged. That struck me as a contradiction.

Cheers,

RC

vintage68

Practically Family
For fall, Bills Khaki's has come out with a heavier twill at 10.25 oz that they call the Bullard Field Pant. IMHO they are THE best khakis out there. Bill's usual khakis are 8.5 oz. I just love them. They wear like buttah! At $155 they ain't cheap though. I asked the vendor if I was crazy for buying four pairs, and he said "Nah, I had one guy order 30 pairs"(!!!)

Dockers are just trash, plain and simple. In D.C you see a lot of 'em and we used to call them "Dorkers" for the bad fit and shine they would get after a few washings. Unghh. Buyer beware.

Anyway, just my 2 cents worth. Cheers!

Barry

Practically Family
Any thoughts on Berle? I have one pair of white trousers - they're ok.

Can Bill's be altered easily? If so, maybe I could have them taken in a bit. My problem is that I am relatively short and my posterior is flat. I can wear most shorter rise trousers and certain regular rise trousers (if I wear them higher up, which I prefer to do). However, when I wear trousers with a long rise I just wind up looking ridiculous.

Barry

vintage68

Practically Family
I've had all my Bill's tailored, so no problem there. Finding a good tailor is the tricky part. My advice is go to the local higher-end men's store. Even if you don't actually buy the pants there, most places will tailor for a small fee.

Good luck!

Barry

Practically Family
vintage68 said:
I've had all my Bill's tailored, so no problem there. Finding a good tailor is the tricky part. My advice is go to the local higher-end men's store. Even if you don't actually buy the pants there, most places will tailor for a small fee.

Good luck!

You mentioned DC in a previous post. I live near Field Tailors and I usually take anything I need altered to his shop - with the exception of minor hemming jobs. I like to bring up his shop here because he is excellent. I suppose if I had the legs taken in a bit at the thigh and the rise taken up a tad I will be okay.

Barry

vintage68

Practically Family
I recommend either Bill's Khaki's M2 or the M2P, both of which are 1" less full in the seat and rise. I'm a fairly big guy at 6'2, 200 lbs and even for my larger frame the M1's ( traditional cut) are too big. Go for the M2 series.

deanswift58

New in Town
or those with deep enough pockets...

?¢‚Ǩ?BUZZ RICKSON'S EARLY MILITARY CHINOS 1942 MODEL?¢‚Ǩ?
http://store.yahoo.co.jp/threeeight/br-m43036-1.html

?¢‚Ǩ?BUZZ RICKSON'S EARLY MILITARY CHINOS 1945 MODEL?¢‚Ǩ?
http://store.yahoo.co.jp/threeeight/br-m43035-1.html

these are amazing and lasts a lifetime, my best friend got a pair and despite wearing them "japanese youth style" (i.e. worn low and one size over) you could see that the workmanship is amazing.

Note that like 90% of J-wear, 35" waist is the widest they do.

Real McCoy's also do a pair

http://store.yahoo.co.jp/threeeight/rmc-mp4002.html

PeeWee

One of the Regulars
I still like the weight and feel of Polo chinos. At 6'7" and 220 lbs. I really like the cut. They seem to have a good balance of proportion all the way around. I hang mine out on the line to dry so they'll feel nice and crisp when I first put them on.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
actimally