Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

MMA (Mixed Martial Arts)

Flora

Familiar Face
Steve said:
As a certified MMA instructor, (I would have trained under MMA fighter Hermes Franca, but he bowed out at the last minute,) I have a great deal of respect for the men who step into the octagon. My favorite right now is Randy "The Natural" Cotoure, who earned my respect after he came out of retirement and dominated Tim Sylvia.
You were going to train under Hermes Franca? That must suck that you didn't get the chance :( yes, I loved when he beat Tim Sylvia, the arrogant, rich boy. That sure taught him a lesson. Randy is a phenomenon.

Matt Noir

One of the Regulars
Undertow said:
This reminds me of a statement directed toward Mike Tyson. I consider Kimbo to be similar to Tyson in that he's a hard guy, he's a fighter at heart, he's pretty untamed. But when you get Tyson in the ring with a real pro like Holyfield or Lewis, he's going to lose at technique. He may have all the heart, power and stamina of a champion, but he can't outwit a master.

Now if Kimbo is actually training with a good trainer, and he's serious about learning real fighting technique, then he may very well be a UFC/MMA contender.

In which case, your statement would be quite dated as time persists.

It is not Kimbo's fighting style that bothers me. He can spend all the time he wants with a trainer and become the greatest fighter the UFC has ever known - he will still be a thug. If it looks like a thug, walks like a thug, talks like a thug, acts like a thug and lives like a thug....

Steve

Practically Family
Flora said:
You were going to train under Hermes Franca? That must suck that you didn't get the chance :(
Yes, it was disappointing, though my certification college got an extra two hours with Carl Mascharenas (from Bad @$$ Fighters) out of the deal, so it wasn't a total loss.

Flora

Familiar Face
Steve said:
Yes, it was disappointing, though my certification college got an extra two hours with Carl Mascharenas (from Bad @$$ Fighters) out of the deal, so it wasn't a total loss.
Did you hear about how Hermes Franca and Sean Sherk were both caught with roids for their recent fight in UFC 73? That pissed me off. I respected Hermes so much. At the same time, I wanted Sherk to lose something, but only because I wanted a good win for Hermes. I don't know... I just think that fighters on roids lose the real heart of fighting.

I'm a big "IceMan",Cotoure,Helms,etc. fan here. No likey for...or respect for 'the HuntingtonBeach BadBoy...Tim Sylvia... Parisyan and a few others(mainly because of attitude). I've favored the UFC over the ring style fighting..although Pride isn't lacking in talent. I think Henderson VS Jackson will be a great fight. It surprised me,as well as many others,when Cro Cop got his lights put out recently in the UFC! It would be interesting to see Emekianenko,A. Silva and other Pride fighters in the octagon. Different format and rules can often change everything. Some don't do near as well in the octagon and visa-versa. I remember Silva as well as ShoGun destroying Jackson in the MMA. I watch both UFC and Pride evey week. Can't get enough of even the reruns!
HD

Flora

Familiar Face
HoosierDaddy said:
I'm a big "IceMan",Cotoure,Helms,etc. fan here. No likey for...or respect for 'the HuntingtonBeach BadBoy...Tim Sylvia... Parisyan and a few others(mainly because of attitude). I've favored the UFC over the ring style fighting..although Pride isn't lacking in talent. I think Henderson VS Jackson will be a great fight. It surprised me,as well as many others,when Cro Cop got his lights put out recently in the UFC! It would be interesting to see Emekianenko,A. Silva and other Pride fighters in the octagon. Different format and rules can often change everything. Some don't do near as well in the octagon and visa-versa. I remember Silva as well as ShoGun destroying Jackson in the MMA. I watch both UFC and Pride evey week. Can't get enough of even the reruns!
HD
Cro Cop got his lights put out by 2 Brazilians quite recently. It doesn't surprise me because Cro Cop isn't very good at close-range combat, which is, if you watch many of Cro Cop's fights, the reason why you can always see him pick a good distance away from his opponent. Cro Cop's screwed now that everyone knows his technique, so he HAS to improve his close-range combat skills. Man, Gonzaga beat him in the 1st damn round with Cro Cop's own technique. Not only did he beat him, he KO'd him. I sure as Hell was not surprised, because I've seen Gonzaga and Noguiera (other fighters) fight before and they were amazing. Also, I think Cro Cop has lightened up his training in UFC and underestimated UFC fighters.
That fight that Cro Cop did with Emelianenko, however, was quite incredible to watch. I still think he won't ever beat Emelianenko, and I stick by it. But I'll say this - Cro Cop put out an amazing fight. It was all-out war. I think he has a chance at beating Emelianenko, but not good enough.
You haven't seen Silva fight in the octagon? He already fought there not too long ago. Perhaps you've missed 73? Also, environment changes everything for some fighters.

Arne

New in Town
Not to bump the thread too much..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ye69sooEkGc
Hansen HL..

As for skimming through the thread and the Question Shooto
its a japan based org.. but has spread world wide
it is where most of the LW has gone through to reach the top
at the moment its mostly fighters from japan..

as for the UFC and influx of pridefighters ...
Dana wants his "boys" to be the best.. thats why he is hesitant with bringing
them in too fast...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HyakujuJoe