Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

MMA (Mixed Martial Arts)

Flora

Familiar Face
I was wondering if anyone here is a fan of MMA, and who are your favourite fighters?
Mine are Gabriel "Napao" Gonzaga, Mirko "Cro[atian] Cop" Filipovic, Karo "The Heat" Parisyan, Antonio "Minotauro" Noguiera, Rashad "Sugar" Evans, Quinton "The Rampage" Jackson, Georges "Rush" St-Pierre, Anderson "The Spider" Silva, and my sensei, Jeff "The Inferno" Joslin.

Edit: How the Hell could I forget about BJ "The Prodegy" Penn? Ahh, my memory is running slow! lol

Harp

I'll Lock Up
Flora said:
I was wondering if anyone here is a fan of MMA, and who are your favourite fighters?

Don't follow the current fight scene and haven't sparred in many moons (Kyokushinkai)
but Bill Wallace, Thomas LaPuppet, and Benny (The Jet) Urquidez were favs back when.

Arne

New in Town
Yes.. I follow it.

as for the best fighters

Fedor Emelianenko
BJ Penn
Anderson Silva
Shogun
Joakim "hellboy" Hansen

Btw I miss Pride

Flora

Familiar Face
Arne said:
Yes.. I follow it.

as for the best fighters

Fedor Emelianenko
BJ Penn
Anderson Silva
Shogun
Joakim "hellboy" Hansen

Btw I miss Pride
Shogun is great too! :D I never got to see the fight with Rampage though, so I might catch up on that sometime.
Did you see Fedor VS Mirko? THAT was great to watch. Mirko's kicks really did a number on Fedor, but Fedor is the champ of Pride for a reason. ;)
BJ - as I said, can't forget about him. It's hard to beat that groundwork.
Anderson Silva - just further fowards the amazing abilities of Brazilians in MMA like Noguiera and Antonio have when they both beat Mirko.
Never heard of Joakim before.

Also, what are your favourite fights?

Arne

New in Town
Well.. I have seen most of the fights that has happened in UFC and Pride
the last 5 years or more.

Joakim as shooto champ beat gomi for the title

Fought in Pride several times..
search him up on Youtube

Flora

Familiar Face
Arne said:
Well.. I have seen most of the fights that has happened in UFC and Pride
the last 5 years or more.

Joakim as shooto champ beat gomi for the title

Fought in Pride several times..
search him up on Youtube
BJ Penn has defeated Gomi as well :D
What's "shooto"?
dhermann1 said:
I always misread Martial Arts as Marital Arts. The two seem so intertwined.lol
Hehe, that made me laugh. Thanks :)

Also, for Americans, you might know of Chuck "The Iceman" Liddell. He's quite famous in the US and does a shitload of commercials.

Matt Noir

One of the Regulars
Cro Cop, Penn, Jeff "The Snowman" Monson (only because I think he has sooo much potential and I was able to attend a training camp he put on!), Fedor, Forrest Griffin (I like his showmanship), Bas Rutten, Wanderlei Silva, Dan Henderson, Diego Sanchez, and Spencer Fisher.

Liddell - ugh. I do not like Chuck - I am not sure why though. He has a good sprawl but he always seems like the only weapon in his arsenal is that looping punch. He might be a nice enough guy - but I am always rooting for his opponents - hoping they send him back to the trailer park he came from (I can say that...I grew up in a trailer!).

With the UFC buying Pride it is interesting to see the influx of Pride fighters into the octagon.

Today's MMA fighters are so well rounded. It isn't like it was 10+ years ago when Royce Gracie could defeat anyone. Today's fighters train in boxing, muay thai, jiu-jitsu, grappling/wrestling - it's hard to be an expert in just one area and be a successful MMA fighter.

Good thread!

Flora

Familiar Face
be_lovely said:
Forrest Griffin is good, but TITO ORTIZ makes me swoon!!!!!!!!!!
I don't like Tito at all, he's a complete jerk and on top of that, before his fight with Rashad Evans, he called Rashad a "nappy-headed bitch." I am so glad that they had a draw, or at least that Tito didn't get his win over Rashad.
Matt Noir said:
Cro Cop, Penn, Jeff "The Snowman" Monson (only because I think he has sooo much potential and I was able to attend a training camp he put on!), Fedor, Forrest Griffin (I like his showmanship), Bas Rutten, Wanderlei Silva, Dan Henderson, Diego Sanchez, and Spencer Fisher.
Liddell - ugh. I do not like Chuck - I am not sure why though. He has a good sprawl but he always seems like the only weapon in his arsenal is that looping punch. He might be a nice enough guy - but I am always rooting for his opponents - hoping they send him back to the trailer park he came from (I can say that...I grew up in a trailer!).
With the UFC buying Pride it is interesting to see the influx of Pride fighters into the octagon.
Today's MMA fighters are so well rounded. It isn't like it was 10+ years ago when Royce Gracie could defeat anyone. Today's fighters train in boxing, muay thai, jiu-jitsu, grappling/wrestling - it's hard to be an expert in just one area and be a successful MMA fighter.
Good thread!
Supposedly, Dan Henderson is supposed to be fighting The Rampage AKA Quinton Jackson very soon. You should go to www.ufc.com to check that out. My brother is a big fan of Wanderlei, so I should probably check him out as well. I hate Diego Sanchez for being such a cheapass with my hero Karo Parisyan. Diego STILL went with the fight despite that Karo hand a hamstring injury of some sort. It now affects his body permanently because of that fight. Die, Diego, die!
Chuck - what about him do you hate so much? I mean, ya, he's a bit of an ad whore, but come on! lol. Also, he does use a little more technique than you think... he doesn't have as much muscle as the other fighters because muscle needs more oxygen to fuel, and by saving up more oxygen it goes well with his technique...
Yea, my boss Jeff is known for being a well-rounded fighter. He was on the show The Ultimate Fighter before, which isn't for the best guys in the UFC but he's still great. He's the World Weapons Master, Pan-American Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu Champion in the Welterweight division (which is a HUGE deal), has a 4th dan black belt, etc... I remember his father Rick had 8th dan in Wadu-Ryu, which is incredible because there are only 10 dans, and not too many people make it to 8th. Rick had 8th by 35.
MudInYerEye said:
I'd smear Liddell across the octagon. ARE YOU LISTENING CHUCKIE?!!
Liddell was a Division 1 wrestler.....

Matt Noir

One of the Regulars
Hi Flora,

Aye, I get all of the UFC Pay Per Views for free - which is a good thing since some of them are sub par and $40 bucks is expensive nowadays! Heck, for $40 I could get an old vintage radio to restore or even get five gallons of gas! ;)

I am not sure why I do not like Chuck - It is just one of those things :p

Flora

Familiar Face
Matt Noir said:
Hi Flora,

Aye, I get all of the UFC Pay Per Views for free - which is a good thing since some of them are sub par and $40 bucks is expensive nowadays! Heck, for $40 I could get an old vintage radio to restore or even get five gallons of gas! ;)

I am not sure why I do not like Chuck - It is just one of those things :p
I'll PM you about this. I need to get this deal too! haha

Undertow

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I'm a huge fan of Kimbo Slice. Anyone familiar with him? I think he used to fight MMA for a while, when he was younger, but now he's basically a backyard bareknuckle under-the-table fighter. Most of his matches are on youtube although he does have a website devoted to him.

Pretty brutal dude. Just beat Ray Mercer in a cage match. I think he's a little too old for the current MMA fights, but he's pretty nasty nonetheless.

Flora

Familiar Face
Undertow said:
I'm a huge fan of Kimbo Slice. Anyone familiar with him? I think he used to fight MMA for a while, when he was younger, but now he's basically a backyard bareknuckle under-the-table fighter. Most of his matches are on youtube although he does have a website devoted to him.

Pretty brutal dude. Just beat Ray Mercer in a cage match. I think he's a little too old for the current MMA fights, but he's pretty nasty nonetheless.
What leagues has Kimbo fought in? It says his record is 7-1 when he lost to Gannon and it says Gannon made it to UFC but has he made it as big as Gannon?

Undertow

I apologize, Kimbo has not been in the MMA yet, however, he is considering entering. I thought I had seen a match with him fighting when he was younger but evidently I was mistaken.

Here is an interesting interview http://www.touchgloves.com/news/2007/03/kimbo_slice_interview_with_tou.html

Kimbo is a pretty popular guy these days. You can find some general info on wikipedia as well as various interviews online.

If you're a fan of MMA or UFC, I highly recommend http://www.kimbo-fights.com. I realize he doesn't have any formal training, but he would be one bad dude to bump into on the street.

Matt Noir

One of the Regulars
Kimbo is a hack and a thug. He is tough for sure - but I would bet dollars to donuts that he gets his proverbial arse kicked in the UFC.

Watch is videos - nothing but a thug and a punk.

Undertow

Matt Noir said:
Kimbo is a hack and a thug. He is tough for sure - but I would bet dollars to donuts that he gets his proverbial arse kicked in the UFC.

Watch is videos - nothing but a thug and a punk.

This reminds me of a statement directed toward Mike Tyson. I consider Kimbo to be similar to Tyson in that he's a hard guy, he's a fighter at heart, he's pretty untamed. But when you get Tyson in the ring with a real pro like Holyfield or Lewis, he's going to lose at technique. He may have all the heart, power and stamina of a champion, but he can't outwit a master.

Now if Kimbo is actually training with a good trainer, and he's serious about learning real fighting technique, then he may very well be a UFC/MMA contender.

In which case, your statement would be quite dated as time persists.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HyakujuJoe