Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Military 'woolly pully' sweaters

kiwilrdg

A-List Customer
I was concerned about stains, being a coffee drinker and dad.

There are MUCH worse things onboad submarines. Chemicals and greases that are perminant. Even the smell, If it went on the boat I knew it would always be boat chothes.
I have been off boats for almost 15 years and I still have uniforms that I am saving in my garage that smell like a submarine.

1961MJS

My Mail is Forwarded Here
... And while we're on smells, I have heard reports that farting can have fairly toxic consequences in the confines of submarine.

Hi

Back in the 1990's I heard interesting stories about the later crews on Mir, Russia's Space Station. Apparently fumes made with Borsch are humbling. I just purchased a WW2 replica Mechanic's sweater, cotton, and tighter than I thought it would be. I'll work out a picture one of these days. I loved my old 1980's Wooly Pully, warm, didn't pill.

Later

Ticklishchap

One Too Many
Hi

Back in the 1990's I heard interesting stories about the later crews on Mir, Russia's Space Station. Apparently fumes made with Borsch are humbling.

... Had they bottled them, it would have violated all the resolutions against chemiocal warfare, but the Cold War might have had a very different outcome.
Good luck with your mechanic's sweater. Are you ex-Army or was the woolly pully in the 80s for civilian use? They are still widely available this side of the Pond.

1961MJS

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Hi

Just Civilian, I wore it with a black or white turtleneck and jeans. They're very warm. I own a What Price Glory white submarine sweater too, and it's good, but not great.

The US Space Station has a method of cleaning the smells out of the place, filters and electo-static of some sort. It basically strikes part of the air with lightning so there's no smell. The old Soviets didn't blow the money on that stuff.

Later

Ticklishchap

One Too Many
Hi

Just Civilian, I wore it with a black or white turtleneck and jeans. They're very warm. I own a What Price Glory white submarine sweater too, and it's good, but not great.

The US Space Station has a method of cleaning the smells out of the place, filters and electo-static of some sort. It basically strikes part of the air with lightning so there's no smell. The old Soviets didn't blow the money on that stuff.

Later
Hi Mike, I agree that WPs are very warm and comfortable. I have also worn them with Turtleneck's. You can get good quality sub sweaters or WPs at Silverman's or Outdoor Knitwear: both (the WPs especially) are a good investment.
You're right - the Soviets skimped as much as possible. The filters you mention sound useful- for eliminating the smell but not the equally comedic noise!

Last edited:

kiwilrdg

A-List Customer
Electrostatic precipitators and carbon filters are used on subs as well. They remove a lot but there is still a distinct smell.

The olive drab sweaters are good on subs because grease stains do not show up as much.
A lot of the forward portion of the boat had very effective air conditioning and I also often had to wear a sweater in the lower level of the engineroom because it could get quite cold, especially at the North Pole.

Ticklishchap

One Too Many
The olive drab sweaters are good on subs because grease stains do not show up as much.
A lot of the forward portion of the boat had very effective air conditioning and I also often had to wear a sweater in the lower level of the engineroom because it could get quite cold, especially at the North Pole.
Anothe triumph for the woolly pully. Glad you still have your 60s olive drab. The cold conditions you describe would suit me - I've always loved cold and cool temperate weather most of all!

STEVIEBOY1

One Too Many
For many years now, the Woolly Pullies I wear have had straps on the shoulder patches (and some have pen-holders as well). However I have recently acquired a green Army crew neck WP that doesn't have the straps, just the patches. It is new but has a retro look, calling to mind the WPs I
first wore as a schoolboy in the 1970s and those worn by serving soldiers then as well. By the time I joined the Corps at school (early 80s) it was straps (and a school emblem just below the shoulder patch on the left arm).

Re the subject of Woolly Pullys and those with & without shoulder straps, I have been watching at 1970s re run of an old English Comedy Programme on ITV3 and one of the characters in that was wearing an army wp with patches but no straps.

STEVIEBOY1

One Too Many
Hi Mike, I agree that WPs are very warm and comfortable. I have also worn them with Turtleneck's. You can get good quality sub sweaters or WPs at Silverman's or Outdoor Knitwear: both (the WPs especially) are a good investment.
You're right - the Soviets skimped as much as possible. The filters you mention sound useful- for eliminating the smell but not the equally comedic noise!

Yes I have bought WPs and Submariner roll necks from Silvermans and Outdoor Knitwear who are both great. I also bought a Submariner from a firm called grand prix legends in Guildford Surrey UK. The Ace Cafe I think also stock the Submariners.

There is a thread all about the Submariner/RAF roll neck sweaters in the WW2 part of this Forum which is well worth a look. Rgds.

Last edited:

Ticklishchap

One Too Many
Re the subject of Woolly Pullys and those with & without shoulder straps, I have been watching at 1970s re run of an old English Comedy Programme on ITV3 and one of the characters in that was wearing an army wp with patches but no straps.
What was the Programme?

kiwilrdg

A-List Customer
I am not sure about the WPs but on some Amercan Navy uniforms the officer shirts have the shoulder straps or attachment loops for shoulder boards but the enlisted shirts do not. That is because the enlisted rate insignia is worn on the collar.
The officer shirts that are made to be worn under a jacket do not have shoulder board attachments.
Perhaps the WPs without shoulder straps are made to be worn with the shirt collar out if collar devices are worn instead of shoulder flashes.

simonc

Practically Family
Yes I have bought WPs and Submariner roll necks from Silvermans and Outdoor Knitwear who are both great. I also bought a Submariner from a firm called grand prix legends in Guildford Surrey UK. The Ace Cafe I think also stock the Submariners.

The is a thread all about the Submariner/RAF roll neck sweaters in the WW2 part of this Forum which is well worth a look. Rgds.

Thanks Stevie

SHOWSOMECLASS

A-List Customer
Yes nice catch. Sometimes we should consider the nuances of enllisted vs. officers unis. Their are much more variances in officers unis. than enlisted.
The officers received a stipend to purchase their unis. so many went to London, Naples, or Cleveland (Wright Field) to get measured for a correct fit.
Apply to that. officers were only subject to censor by a officer of higher rank. Therefore many integrated personal items. Today I am sure US troops use "Under Armor", "Nike, "Polar Fleece" etc.
In this regard, most AAF officers wore whatever was comfortable for them while flying. If they couldn't find what they wanted they traded or bartered for the item w/ RAF other AAF personnel.
Man at that time, a quartermaster worker, had the world by the tail

Last edited:

Ticklishchap

One Too Many
I am not sure about the WPs but on some Amercan Navy uniforms the officer shirts have the shoulder straps or attachment loops for shoulder boards but the enlisted shirts do not. That is because the enlisted rate insignia is worn on the collar.
Perhaps the WPs without shoulder straps are made to be worn with the shirt collar out if collar devices are worn instead of shoulder flashes.
I think it is a simple change of design in the UK. I have seen 1970s (and 60s) WPs with insignia pinned straight to the shoulder pads without straps.

kiwilrdg

A-List Customer
The American forces have issue uniform items and regulation uniform items. When someone joins the military they are issued a full set of uniforms and is given a yearly allowance to maintain the uniforms (additional items may be issued as new items are approved or for special assignments). There are several suppliers that can be used for the replacement items. Many folks go for higher end items when they buy new items.

Officers buy all uniform items on comissioning but also get an allowance.

The details like shoulder straps would be standard based on what type of uniform they are for so even if it is a higher end vendor it would still be the same style.

There are variations that were made to uniforms that eventually became standard. The practice of having tailors fit the pants at the waist and upper leg became the design for the bell bottoms in later dungarees.

STEVIEBOY1

One Too Many
I have been looking for wool at the US military exchange uniform shops but I have only found acrylic on base. I had a few all wool blue ones several years ago but I have not found any new wool ones lately.

My favorites are my 60's dated green British jumpers.

I would not want to wear cream onboard a boat because I would be worried about it getting dirty, but I worked in a rather grimy part of the boat.

I use the terms jumper and sweater most of the time but when US Navy uniforms are involved the term jumper refers to the top of the enlisted dress uniforms.

Yes I know what you mean about wearing a cream or other light coloured garment on boad ships/subs/Aircraft, I have often wondered why they chose that colour rather than Navy Blue or Black which would be far more practical, which although do exist but do not seem to have been used so much.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
billmacsworld