Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Military spec M65 Combat Jacket

Atticus Finch

Call Me a Cab
Even after decades of wearing and collecting military outerwear, field jackets in particular, I have difficulty identifying actually-issued M-65s. I'm usually able to spot the Rothcos, but I'm not so good with older reproduction Alphas. With them, I normally have to look at the tag to determine if the jacket is military issue or not. But I'll happily recognize that other people's ability may vary.

AF

davyjones007

One of the Regulars
I know mine had button cuffs. The only uniform I ever was issued with hook and loop was the new Army ACUs. All of my other BDUs had either buttons or zippers. I do know the GEN III GORE-Tex stuff had hook and loop closings. A lot of the new pouches and such that we attached to our plate carriers had them too. That stuff is very noisy in the field and that is something you don't won't.

bentusian

One of the Regulars
I know mine had button cuffs. The only uniform I ever was issued with hook and loop was the new Army ACUs. All of my other BDUs had either buttons or zippers. I do know the GEN III GORE-Tex stuff had hook and loop closings. A lot of the new pouches and such that we attached to our plate carriers had them too. That stuff is very noisy in the field and that is something you don't won't.

BDUs (before ACU) had buttons, but not the M-65 field jackets on their cuffs (if you remember yours issued in woodland camo).

+1 on the possibility of field modification if it was really an issue M-65.

davyjones007

One of the Regulars
BDUs (before ACU) had buttons, but not the M-65 field jackets on their cuffs (if you remember yours issued in woodland camo).

+1 on the possibility of field modification if it was really an issue M-65.

Mine was issued in 1994 in woodland camo. It may have been older than that, but still new in wrapper. I don't have it here. Most of those uniforms are in seabags at my mothers house in the attic so I can't check. But I am sure there was no hook and loop on the cuffs. Time does funny things to memories though.

EmergencyIan

Practically Family
I have a 1972 GI issue/mil spec Alpha Industries manufactured M-65 field jacket. I received it in mint unissued condition a couple of years ago. I had owned an M-65 in the past and never cared for the hook and loops on the cuffs. So, I took this 1972 M-65 to the tailor and had him remove/modify the hook and loop (which included removal of the Velcro) and make a button hole on the cuffs tab. I provided buttons from a unusable 1969 U.S. Army tropical coat. He did an outstanding job and I love it with the button cuffs.

- Ian

bentusian

One of the Regulars
Mine was issued in 1994 in woodland camo. It may have been older than that, but still new in wrapper. I don't have it here. Most of those uniforms are in seabags at my mothers house in the attic so I can't check. But I am sure there was no hook and loop on the cuffs. Time does funny things to memories though.

I had mine issued in '98 so I'm sure we're talking about the same spec M-65. ;)
I ended up with one size bigger than myself (as we recruits all do in the supply depot) but it really came in handy when temp dropped below -5 celsius in Korea, at which point we stopped wearing gore-tex parkas.

davyjones007

One of the Regulars
I had mine issued in '98 so I'm sure we're talking about the same spec M-65. ;)
I ended up with one size bigger than myself (as we recruits all do in the supply depot) but it really came in handy when temp dropped below -5 celsius in Korea, at which point we stopped wearing gore-tex parkas.

I was warm in mine with ploy pro or a wooly pooly under it in Misawa. I thought it was a better coat than the gore-tex for cold weather and when wearing a side arm and carrying a long rifle.

Atticus Finch

Call Me a Cab
I have five issued M-65s right now. The oldest is from 1970. The youngest is from 1994. The two older ones are OG-107. The two younger ones are woodland camo. And I have one in tri-color desert camo from 1989 or 1990. They all have correct DSA, DLA or SPO numbers so I'm pretty sure they're the real deal. And they all have velcro cuff fasteners.

Of course this isn't dispositive of the issue. Just an observation based on my experience.

AF

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HyakujuJoe