Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Milan Mania

DJH

I'll Lock Up
Thanks, Ed.
I had been thinking of getting a modern milan, but I was pleased to be able to find a nice vintage one instead.

Joshbru3

I'll Lock Up
D314888-L.jpg

WOW, David, that Disney is simply gorgeous. The milan weave looks very tight and dense. The hat has a wonderful color and a fantastic block shape. Great find!! :eusa_clap:eusa_clap:eusa_clap

DJH

I'll Lock Up
WOW, David, that Disney is simply gorgeous. The milan weave looks very tight and dense. The hat has a wonderful color and a fantastic block shape. Great find!! :eusa_clap:eusa_clap:eusa_clap

Thanks Josh. This hat was sitting on eBay for ages - poor photos and a high BIN price ensured it didn't sell.

I offered the seller about half of their price and ended up paying my offer + $5.00.

Like you, I love the blocking and the straw is really super soft - feels like linen rather than wheat straw. When I sent the hat to Tom Gomez to put the ribbon on, he told he he didn't want to sent it back!

I just love it when I find a great vintage hat at a good price!

+1
100% agree!

Thanks, Manfred. Looks as though you are still finding some nice hats yourself.

BobC

My Mail is Forwarded Here
DJH, fantastic milan! I really like what you and Tom did with the ribbon. He's a cool guy to visit with, don't you think?

DJH

I'll Lock Up
Thanks, Bob.

I've not had the opportunity to meet face to face with Tom, but I've found him to be a great hat guy.

He has helped me a lot to get my head around Panama hats - way more difficult than felt ones for me!

I have one of his hats too, which is very nicely done.

DJH

I'll Lock Up
Thanks Jeff, this one was on sale at a high BIN, even though it was during the winter.

I remember our old friend Hats Enough saying he would always make an offer less than 50% of the price and he'd get the hat half of the time. It pretty much worked for me for this one.

I bought a couple of nice straw hats during the winter - way less competition for Panamas and milans when it is snowing over much of the country.

Don't you think that eBay BIN prices for hats are really high for just about everything right now?

DougC

Practically Family
Woohoo! I drove from Indianapolis to Chicago this morning and got fitted and ordered a natural colored Milan with a teardrop crease and 2 5/8th inch brim...it should ship on July 21st or so. Themhat I tried onwas the softest straw hat I've ever picked.

Rick Blaine

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Woohoo! I drove from Indianapolis to Chicago this morning and got fitted and ordered a natural colored Milan with a teardrop crease and 2 5/8th inch brim...it should ship on July 21st or so. Themhat I tried onwas the softest straw hat I've ever picked.

OPTIMO? [huh] worthlesswithoutpics

DougC

Practically Family
Okay-no pics yet of the optimo Milan. The hat came in 19 days early. Looks great...but, I asked for a 2 5/8th brim and it's 2 3/8th. Still trying to decide if I like it. Also, the crown wassupposed to be 5 1/2 inches and is closer to 5 even. But, it looks great. And I hit the ribbon with some steam to undo a wrinkle--the smell was pure oats!

mikespens

Call Me a Cab
Beautiful Disney David!

Picked up my new milan from Black Sheep Hat Works today. Hat is khaki with a brown piece of ribbon Bob found in his shop that he probably bleached, wine tie.

IMG_0086.jpg

nice laced bow
IMG_0087.jpg

and perforated forehead on sweatband
IMG_0088.jpg
[/IMG]

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HyakujuJoe