Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Mid-Atlantic hat repairs?

KevKaos59

Familiar Face
Wondering if anyone knows of reputable hatters in the Baltimore or Washington DC area that does hat repairs and shaping, and maybe cleaning? It seems most people ship their hats off to someone for these sorts of service. Is that the best way to go? I was thinking that I would try to find someone sort of local, but there isn't much that I can find. I did find Hippodrome Hatters in Baltimore, but I have not visited them yet.

If I had somebody local, I'd used them if they were any good. I don't so I ship & have had great results with Buckaroo Hatters & Optimo. Also have used Shorty's & Catalena Hatters. There is a thread if you need contact info. Sorry but can't help you in Baltimore/DC area. Best of luck, tho.

KevKaos59

Familiar Face
I just today got a hat that I bought dirt cheap on ebay. I bought it because it was cheap and there wasn't much interest in it, and figured that I would use it as a beater. It's a Bond Executive, and I found a price sticker under the sweatband that says $10.95. It isn't as nice a feel as my older hats, but a bit better than my Bailey. The sweatband is mint but the overall body is a bit loose. I like the overall shape, but could use someone to clean up the lines a bit and wonder if there is a way to stiffen it all up a bit. Cleaning up the liner plastic myself. Looks like decades old hair tonic that has geled, hardened and then turned yellow. Some other gunk on the underside of the brim in the back but I got that at least 75% cleaned up so far. Not really sure if this hat is worth the time and expense of shipping it out for repair.

KevKaos59

Familiar Face
NukeMeSlowly said:
I use Vince Corvelli (American Hatters) who works by appointment in Bethesda. His number is 301-530-5576.

Great info. Thank you. What do you guys think is the expected price for general shaping? Cleaning? Is it possible to stiffen a hat?

johnnyphi

Sponsoring Affiliate
Dittos...

NukeMeSlowly said:
I use Vince Corvelli (American Hatters) who works by appointment in Bethesda. His number is 301-530-5576.

Mr. Corvelli is an old pro. (He's listed under "American Hatters" in the Yellow Pages.) He works out of his apartment, and he's very reasonably priced. Probably $35 to $40 for a clean and block. He can also replace sweatbands and ribbons.

He was trained by his father and his grandfather... 3rd generation hatter.

If you're nice, he'll take you downstairs to see his collection of vintage blocks and other equipment.

Unfortunately, he doesn't have an apprentice and his grandkids aren't interested in the hat business, so he's worried that he won't be able to pass his craft on to the next generation.

PS - If you take your hat to Andrea's hat shop in Bethesda, they'll just pass it along to Mr. Corvelli, so you might as well go straight to Mr. Corvelli.

KevKaos59

Familiar Face
Wow, what a story. Such a shame that the grand kids don't want to carry on the legacy. Thanks for all the detailed information.

johnnyphi said:
Mr. Corvelli is an old pro. (He's listed under "American Hatters" in the Yellow Pages.) He works out of his apartment, and he's very reasonably priced. Probably $35 to $40 for a clean and block. He can also replace sweatbands and ribbons.

He was trained by his father and his grandfather... 3rd generation hatter.

If you're nice, he'll take you downstairs to see his collection of vintage blocks and other equipment.

Unfortunately, he doesn't have an apprentice and his grandkids aren't interested in the hat business, so he's worried that he won't be able to pass his craft on to the next generation.

PS - If you take your hat to Andrea's hat shop in Bethesda, they'll just pass it along to Mr. Corvelli, so you might as well go straight to Mr. Corvelli.

Me, I'd love to visit the guy, pick his brain and check out his equipment. Too bad we're on opposite sides of the continent.

The situation sounds like a golden opportunity for a young(ish) would-be hatter. I wish Mr. Corvelli many, many more years of health and happiness and active hatting. But man, what a resource for the right person. There just aren't many of Mr. Corvelli's kind around any more.

johnnyphi

Sponsoring Affiliate
Did I mention...

tonyb said:
Me, I'd love to visit the guy, pick his brain and check out his equipment. Too bad we're on opposite sides of the continent.

The situation sounds like a golden opportunity for a young(ish) would-be hatter. I wish Mr. Corvelli many, many more years of health and happiness and active hatting. But man, what a resource for the right person. There just aren't many of Mr. Corvelli's kind around any more.

Mr. Corvelli's grandfather was from Italy... Did I mention that? He might be worth a visit next time you're in the DC area. Unfortunately, he got into a dispute with his last apprentice/partner, and his "partner" ended up absconding with half of Mr. Corvelli's vintage hat blocks and some other equipment. I don't want to disparage the former partner, but I will say that I DON'T recommend the Hattery of Georgetown located in the mall. (Customer reviews back me up.)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
billmacsworld