Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Mensusa.com for suits ... what's the skinny?

Dr Doran

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I stumbled across this in an insomniac fit of internet trolling.

http://www.mensusa.com/products.aspx?id=474

Has anyone dealt with these people? Has anyone bought these suits? The prices sound fishy, but with closeouts and overstocks stranger things have happened. The double-breasted suits in the photos look decent to my eye.

slicedbread

A-List Customer
Those suits look very interesting...The prices don't seem too out of this world, considering that you can find ebay sellers who have their own brands selling brand new suits for a similar (if not lower) price...I do like the cut of those DB's though.

Tumbleweed

New in Town
They appear to sell certain brands available very cheaply on ebay which were the subject of heated discussion on AAAC a while back.

(In summary : not so good)

Dr Doran

Tumbleweed said:
They appear to sell certain brands available very cheaply on ebay which were the subject of heated discussion on AAAC a while back.

(In summary : not so good)

Please forgive my ignorance, but the acronym AAAC is not ringing any bells for me au moment. May I have a link?

Mr. Pinstripe Suit

New in Town
I'd Have to See Them In Person to Buy

slicedbread said:
Those suits look very interesting...The prices don't seem too out of this world, considering that you can find ebay sellers who have their own brands selling brand new suits for a similar (if not lower) price...I do like the cut of those DB's though.

Some of the cuts DO look nice; particularly the brown DB you linked to.

The one thing my suit shopping experiences have taught me is to really inspect each piece I'm attracted to at a low-price seller. The two "Burlington Coat Factory" discount stores in SF that sell brands like this at this same kind of price have taught me this lesson and saved me from a few "bargain" buys over time.

I'm no fashion snob, (but pick another word :D ) and frequent examination of rack stock in this price range has taught me to look over every seam before taking something home at this kind of low price. I'd not want to order one online and get whatever they send, it's too dicey.

As an example, the suit Men's USA featured in their "Pinstripe" section had the lines matching up perfectly at one side of the collar/lapel join and nearly half the distance off on the other. I was only a little surprised, but it kind of confirmed that I'd want to look through the stock in person for one that was reasonably well-made and grab that bargain!!

If I got it sight-unseen/at random I'm certain I'd have an issue with some of the stitching and pattern matching when it arrived, so caveat emptor.

Cheers,

Kevin

Dr Doran

Mr. Pinstripe Suit said:
I'm no fashion snob, (but pick another word :D )

Hi Kevin,

Thanks for the advice: that sounds pretty sound (sorry). As for the above quote ... sure you are ... we all are here, to some degree. AND THERE'S NOTHING WRONG WITH IT. Honi soit qui mal y pense.

FedoraGent

One Too Many
NEVER GOTO THESE PEOPLE...READ BELOW...

Folks,

Never goto these people, please read a recent review I put on CitySearch and Yelp.com:

If there was a way to rate less than one star, I would. A few colleagues of mine had bought from this 'establishment' over the web. On their website, they encourage people to go into the their Los Angeles store on Westwood. Being a man that purchases suits on a regular basis, and also someone whom consorts himself with other sartorialists I decided to check out their store. I went over to this store and wanted to look at the suits. The suits were hanging there, in the store just waiting to be perused. I was told by the store manager, that unless I was going to buy something that day that I could not look at the suits. I was told by the manager that "Unless you're going to buy, I'm not going to show you any suits." I told him that I needed to look at the suits to buy a suit and he refused saying, "You can buy online, I'm not running a museum."

I have been in many mens clothing stores over the years. I was dressed in a full suit, fedora and tie. I have never been treated like that in a store and I suggest that anyone who believes in customer service...which it is apparent that these people do not...that they do not do business with MensUSA. I was treated poorly and rudely and I would hate for something like that to happen to others.

Can you just believe that?

Jon

The Wingnut

One Too Many
FedoraGent said:
"You can buy online, I'm not running a museum."

Holy. Crap.

Maybe the hat set him off (museum, artifacts, etc...), but NOBODY with any business sense would ever treat a customer in such a manner unless the customer was being rude themselves. What a jerk.

These guys deserve to go under, fast.

I'm under the impression that the suits on their page are just photos taken from other sites or catalogs that look appealing...none of it appears to be from the store itself.

Dr Doran

I'm so sorry you had that experience, Jon. I have bought 2 suits from them online and liked them. One a charcoal DB and the other an olive and brown striped DB. The latter had one loose button but besides that both were fine (if you like Super 120s wool, that is, which I do).

Only complaint: narrow legs. They do have a "wide leg" section online, tho.

FedoraGent

One Too Many
Doran said:
I'm so sorry you had that experience, Jon. I have bought 2 suits from them online and liked them. One a charcoal DB and the other an olive and brown striped DB. The latter had one loose button but besides that both were fine (if you like Super 120s wool, that is, which I do).

Only complaint: narrow legs. They do have a "wide leg" section online, tho.

Tim,

No problem mate. I liked what I bought from them before, but after that treatment, they could stick it in their ears.

FG.

dostacos

Practically Family
FedoraGent said:
Then why praytell do they have a physical store? To be rude to potential customers?

FG.
well at the very least, they don't want to talk to a customer on the phone, it does seem to go well with the "buy it now, or get out" attitude

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CLUless82